What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bubbaQ, you're still compiling Tom's unRAID SW into bubbaRAID, right? It's not like you can claim any ownership of his work or the rest of the open source you are packaging so why not use unRAId to make it clear to people that your baseline IS unRAID? Without Tom's work bubbaRAID would be just a slim Slackware distro that does nothing special... If asked, Tom might even agree to the naming convention, as long as his IPR is protected in terms of unRAID.

Again, I'm not here to start a flame war, just saying that "bubbaRAID" could be misleading some newbies to think it's something better than from where Tom gets his bread and butter. I'm also very well aware of your outstanding contributions towards the unRAID community so far and thus will leave it to your best discretion what to do about this topic, if anything. Thank you!

Wow... you guys have no concept of trademark law and the Lanham Act!

BubbaRaid is not a stand-alone package... it has to be installed on top of a regular unRAID installation.  So someone has to get and install unRAID first.  No way to confuse it as an "alternative" to unRAID.

BubbaRaid has only GPL software, and does not contain Tom's proprietary parts (i.e. emhttp).... that's why it only works if installed on the same stick as a regular unRAID install.

OK.  A new beta version of BubbaRaid for unRAID 4.4.2 is available to download and test.

Link is in the OP.

This is a FULL install package.  If you already have BubbaRaid installed, this will OVERWRITE any changes to the BubbaRaid configuration files you may have made.

Hopefully, the next version will preserve existing BubbaRaid config files.  If you are already running BubbaRaid and have made a number of custom edits to the config files, you may want to wait for the next version of BubbaRaid.

I got BubbaRAID installed. I did "acpitool -c" and got similar results as NLS. Then I did "modprobe p4_clockmod" and now my results look like this:

CPU type               : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
  Min/Max frequency      : 300/2400 MHz
  Current frequency      : 300 MHz
  Frequency governor     : ondemand
  Freq. scaling driver   : p4-clockmod
  Cache size             : 512 KB
  Bogomips               : 4810.89
  Bogomips               : 4811.09

# of CPU's found       : 2

Processor ID           : 0
  Bus mastering control  : no
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Limit interface        : no
  Active C-state         : C0
  C-states (incl. C0)    : 1

Processor ID           : 1
  Bus mastering control  : no
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Limit interface        : no
  Active C-state         : C0
  C-states (incl. C0)    : 1

It looks like it's actually running at 300mhz now, is that correct? Does this mean the modprobe worked? Will it stay after rebooting? My fans are still running at full speed. In the BIOS it is set to speed up and slow down based on CPU temp, does this setting not get used in linux?

Yup.. it is running in low speed now.. give it a couple of minutes and you should see the CPU cool down a few degrees.  It should be using "ondemand" governor and then speed up if the CPU needs it.

Try the commands "acpitool -t" and "sensors" to see if you get CPU temps.

Or run "sensors-detect" to find out what sensors you have.  Then modprobe the appropriate ones and you should gets lots of hardware info when you run "sensors"

This command will tell you what speed-governors are available to you:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

BTW, AMD processors are MUCH better at using lower power and running cooler in a low-power state, than similar Intel processors.  Anyone that want's to minimize power consumption whould lean heavily in favor of AMD CPUs.

Great. Thanks for the info. I'll try those things, as of right now I don't see my CPU temp anywhere.

So I typed "sensors-detect" then ran thru all the scanning just saying yes to all and ended up with:

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `it87' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * Bus `SMBus I801 adapter at 0500'
    Busdriver `i2c-i801', I2C address 0x2d
    Chip `ITE IT8712F' (confidence: 
  * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `ITE IT8712F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO): yes
Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
for initialization at boot time.
You should now start the lm_sensors service to load the required
kernel modules.

Then I typed "service lm_sensors start", but got a command not found error. Do I have to restart to get the lm_sensor going?

When I "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors", the reponse I got was:

ondemand performance

Yes, when you reboot, anything that you added via modprobe has to be added again.  Put the modprobes in your go script.

At the end of sensors-detect, it should tell you what needs to be added with modprobe something like this:

Do you want to generate /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (yes/NO): To load everything that is needed, add this to one of the system
initialization scripts (e.g. /etc/rc.d/rc.local):

#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
modprobe it87
modprobe k8temp
/usr/bin/sensors -s
#----cut here----

But then again, I have no experience with your Intel mobo and can't say exactly what modules it needs.

New BubbaRaid - version 0.0.11

- now includes unraid_notify script and configuration screen for editing config file, starting, stopping, and sending test e-mail.

- new wizard for configuring unraid_notify script (will be expanded to other applications)

- now installing a new version of BubbaRaid does NOT overwrite your old BubbaRaid config files.

I'm also close on having the online-upgrade working for BubbaRaid, so we can do away with this download/unzip-to-flash stuff.

New BubbaRaid - version 0.0.11

- now includes unraid_notify script and configuration screen for editing config file, starting, stopping, and sending test e-mail.

- new wizard for configuring unraid_notify script (will be expanded to other applications)

- now installing a new version of BubbaRaid does NOT overwrite your old BubbaRaid config files.

I'm also close on having the online-upgrade working for BubbaRaid, so we can do away with this download/unzip-to-flash stuff.

Very cool, i will try this out tomorrow when i get home from classes.

Yes, when you reboot, anything that you added via modprobe has to be added again.  Put the modprobes in your go script.

I thought that might be the case. I new to linux, I am trying to read and learn.

#----cut here----

# Chip drivers

modprobe it87

modprobe k8temp

/usr/bin/sensors -s

#----cut here----

I think it87 is exactly what the output said. I'll give that a go. Thanks for all the help.

I did re run it then just entered the modprobe items above and it worked. When I ran "sensors" after that I got:

VCore 1:     +1.50 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
VCore 2:     +1.49 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
+3.3V:       +3.44 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +4.08 V)
+5V:         +5.13 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +6.85 V)
+12V:       +12.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max = +16.32 V)
-12V:       -20.49 V  (min = -27.36 V, max =  +3.93 V)
-5V:         -1.72 V  (min = -13.64 V, max =  +4.03 V)
Stdby:       +4.41 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +6.85 V)
VBat:        +3.26 V
fan1:       2163 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 16)
fan2:          0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 16)
fan3:       5818 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 
M/B Temp:    +31.0 C  (low  =  -1.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = transistor
CPU Temp:    +25.0 C  (low  =  -1.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = thermal diode
Temp3:       +40.0 C  (low  =  -1.0 C, high = +127.0 C)  sensor = transistor
cpu0_vid:   +1.525 V

This is very cool. Thank you. Now, Ill go and figure out how to get it all in a go script and such so that it all happens on startup, and figure out how to get my s2RAM working. When I run "s2ram" I just get command not found. Anyhow, finally my unRAID box can use less power and make less noise! Thanks for the help.