Clean and simple

My clean and simple unRAID build, the first NAS I've ever built and it went smoother than expected.

The parts:

• NZXT Source 210 -Inches ELITE-Inches Midtower Case with 3.0 USB - White
  • Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US)
  • Asus C60M1-I AMD C-60/ AMD FCH A50M/ DDR3/ SATA3/ A&V&GbE/ Mini ITX Motherboard & CPU Combo
  • Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
  • 3x WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX
  • SanDisk Cruzer Fit SDCZ33-008G-B35 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black
  • CyberPower CP600LCD Intelligent LCD 600VA 340W Desktop UPS
  • unRAID 5.0-rc8a (Pro license, not needed for 3 drives but wanted to contribute)

The UPS reports 19% load when disks are spun down and 21% when they are spun up, that's around 64 to 71 watts, it reports that it will last 45 minutes without power. The CPU is running at 43.5°C and 800Mhz, the drives are stable at 25°C > 30°C

As you can see, plenty of room for more drives, the MB can support a total of 6, which is going to be more than enough (famous last words)

zKQjr.jpg

Room around the MB to route cables to keep it as clean as possible. I didn't bother connecting the case's front USB or audio.

qlRbN.jpg

I was going to spread the drives out, leaving a gap between each one to improve air flow, but didn't bother in the end and the temps seem just fine. I moved the case fan from the top to the front to help them out.

DKzUe.jpg

McRC3.png

Appreciate any comments or feedback. Happy new year!

You should be able to get a 24 pin ATX extender and run that stupid cable behind the motherboard. Maybe longer SATA cables too, to do the same.

That case has room for lots of fans. One more on the front (intake), on in front of the PSU (intake), and two on the top (exhaust).

I don't see your thumb drive. There are some nice USB headers available to keep that thing inside the case, safe from getting bumped while outisde the case.

Nice looking start. And yes, it's a start. ;D

I was high on Vicodin last night, and failed to notice that case.  :P

It can hold thirteen disks with a 5 in 3, or twelve disks with a cheap 4 in 3. Twelve disk capacity for $60 (case plus cage) is insane. Nice find.

And look at that. Lower cost than I thought. Not to mention, the Azza 910 is showing as discontinued at newegg, six in stock at amazon.

Capture.PNG.484c72d434dda5a230f50c1e8e2a86ed.PNG

Nice build.  I've got the Azza 910, and I kind of regret buying it.  The big fan on the size attracts more dust than anything else.

Contact Azza, they sell a replacement side panel without the fan for $25 shipped US

Do they do this for all their cases?

I have Azza 1000 that I'm planning on using for unraid eventually, but i do not like this 200mm side fan with the window.

Do they do this for all their cases?

I have Azza 1000 that I'm planning on using for unraid eventually, but i do not like this 200mm side fan with the window.

I don't know about that case. You can reach them at 714-990-5625 9am-5pm PST

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I always laugh at ITX boards in a full size case..

I'm mostly laughing because that is how my first unraid box was. That and all the empty space.

looks nice..

I'd get more front fans when you get more drives. for now the temps look fine.

as far as spending more money for cable management... dont sweat it. no one is going to come to your house and inspect it and give you a guilt trip. as long as you're not impeding airflow, use the money on more drives or a plus license.

do the housekeeping inside when you are starting to get a rats nest.

Nice build.  I've got the Azza 910, and I kind of regret buying it.  The big fan on the size attracts more dust than anything else.

Contact Azza, they sell a replacement side panel without the fan for $25 shipped US

I did contacted Azza about getting a side panel, but they wanted $40, and not $25.  I only paid $50 dollars for this case.  So, I am not about to spend another $40 on it.  I might just go ghetto style and paint a piece of cardboard and tape it on the side.

I did contacted Azza about getting a side panel, but they wanted $40, and not $25.  I only paid $50 dollars for this case.  So, I am not about to spend another $40 on it.  I might just go ghetto style and paint a piece of cardboard and tape it on the side.

I just double checked my paypal history and it was $25 including shipping in June 2012

The paypal receipt came from [email protected] in case you wanted to try and contact him.

You can always full the hole with a plexi window. A sheet of that is  only a few bucks.

You glue it to the inside or drill a few holes and bolt it on.

if you are really adventurous, you can go old school mod and actually open up the fan hole to make a proper "window".

maybe you can get some moders mesh and plexi or black plexi to make it less noticeable if you don't like the whole mod look.

$25 is a bit expensive. $40 is a joke since it just the panel off the other side of the $50 case.

You can always full the hole with a plexi window. A sheet of that is  only a few bucks.

You glue it to the inside or drill a few holes and bolt it on.

if you are really adventurous, you can go old school mod and actually open up the fan hole to make a proper "window".

maybe you can get some moders mesh and plexi or black plexi to make it less noticeable if you don't like the whole mod look.

$25 is a bit expensive. $40 is a joke since it just the panel off the other side of the $50 case.

I agree.  I'm off this weekend.  I'll see what I ended up doing.

• 2 weeks later...

;) Thumps up! Very nice and clean.....  is there a dust filter for the front fans? Love cases that don't show the dust on the fans.... a solid front.  Time to take a closer look at that case...  :o

Oh and did you take off the top 140mm fan and used it for the front?

New egg details.... are the wrong?

1 x 120mm rear fan @ 1200rpm (included)

2 x 120mm front fan (optional)

1 x 120mm buttom fan (optional)

1 x 140mm top fan (included)

The USB is on the back, as you can see from this image it's very low profile :) no chance of getting knocked.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-SDCZ33-008G-B35-Flash-Drive/dp/B005FYNSUA

Nice clean build!  I have been trying to decide between the ASUS C60M1-I and the ASUS E45M1-M PRO.  Just not sure how the dual-1Ghz will fair with multiple Plex steams.

Does the Cruzer Fit have a valid GUID? As in can it be registered for Plus/Pro licenses?  It was my understanding that the Fit was just a MicroSD in a usb shell.

If it does have a valid GUID I am off to spend some of my wife's money.  ;)