buying a used unraid server

carsfreak88

hey guys i ran out of room on my htpc and i was thinking about building a unraid server

then i found someone selling one locally for what it looks like a good price

here are the specs

Cooler Master 590 Case

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 Micro ATX AMD

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2

PQI POWER Series 2GB 240-Pin DDR2

Western Digital WD Green WD20EARS 2TB x3

Themaltake 430 watt PSU

Sandisk USB 4Gig Drive, Loaded with Unraid 4.5 Free version, Unmenu also sleep and wakeup script

the price is $300 do u guys think its a fair price for this server ?

anything i should check when i go pick up the server?

thanks for the help moe

What that being a used system and older, you may wish to check to see if that Gigabyte motherboard is one that has the HPA problem.  (If you want to know about the HPA problem, just search using 'Gigabyte HPA'.)  If it can't be turned off, You can't use any of the more recent releases of unRAID--- at least, without some very messy workarounds.

I'm looking at purchasing a Gigabyte MOBO and search "Gigabyte HPA" on the forum and this is the only thread that came up in the results.

You are probably doing the search wrong. Click "Home" first then put in your search term.

The search function on this forum only searches at your current level. Searches only the thread if you are reading a thread, or only the sub-forum you are browsing if you are browsing a sub-forum. Go to the top level ("Home") and search.

...are the drives still under warranty?

I'd probably ask the seller for a new preclear report (1-3 cycles) on each drive.

Since when you're going to receive them without content, running a preclear is a good idea from the seller's point of view anyway ;-)

hey i picked up the server 2 days ago the seller did show me a preclear report and all the drives passed

i am not sure if the drive still under warranty but i guess i can put the s/n in wd website and check

...oh my..time is flying by faster than it used to do in the good old days  ;D

Looks like a good seller and a good deal then.

Happy unRAID-ing.

thank you i am still reading alot of learning i am still kind of new to this whole server and unraid system

i just check the WD website and all the hard drives are still under warranty till the end of the year so i guss i got lucky  :D

Archived