Question about permissions

I have some questions about permissions:

I am running 5.0RC10 on the server and Windows 7 on my PC.

I have changed the name of the server from Tower to Server, dont be confused :-P

I have copied some files to my only disk on the array. I have run the new permissions script to set everything right.

I have created a new user called 'moritz' with no password. I have run the "net use * /delete" command in windows and set up a new entry in the credential manager(\\Server and username moritz)

[*]When I disable user shares, only my disk1 (and the flash drive) is exported via SMB. Now I want to delete a file on the disk, Windows says I need permission from SERVER\nobody. Alright. I set the credentials to \\Server and username to root. Nothing changed. I suppose root is not a valid user for SMB? I don't know. Set it back to moritz.

[*]Enabled user shares and exported the top level folder Movies. Left everything blank, set Security to secure and set user moritz to read/write access. When I now browse to the share via Windows I still cannot delete files. What is even more stange: When I created a new textfile to test I cannot rename it because I need permissions from SERVER\moritz

I am realy confused right now  ???

syslog.txt

I am realy confused right now  ???

So am I.  I have no idea which version of unRAID you are running.  I do know the permissions script was modified on one of the last rc releases, so perhaps try rc10.

From the change log in the release notes:

Changes from 5.0-rc8a to 5.0-rc9

--------------------------------

- emhttp: permissions now set up to operate on (ugo) instead of just (ug)

- emhttp: fix bug where adding new share after deleting/removing previous share could result in some wrong defaults

- emhttp: fix bug where setting all users to 'no-access' on a Private share made it accessible to everyone

Joe L.

Some more Questions:

[*]unRaid automatically creates a user share for every top level folder on each disk. If I don't want that how can I remove a specific share if it is not empty? edit: OK, i set them to "not export".

[*]As which user do computers on the network access the SMB shares if they have no credentials set (and no matching username/password in unraid)?

[*]Which permissions apply for the whole disks beeing exported to SMB? who can read or write there?

[*]Why can every user on the SMB-network write (and change/delete files!!) to /disk1/Filme and /Filme (usershare) and no one (even not nobody) to /disk/Filme/Serien or /Filme/Serien? Still only my user 'moritz' should have write access.. :-(

I simply want two kinds of permissions for my folders/shares:

• Visible Folders: Visible/readable to all users on the network, but they can not modify my files. Visible and Writable by me(moritz).
  • Unvisible Folders: Only visible to me

Hey,

my only user is 'moritz', so here I am:

"Filme" would be visible/readable to others and "Bilder" would only be visible to me.

I am curious though, how I can set the rights of a "guest user" on the network without username or any credetials set. I would suppose he has reading rights on public shares and no rights on private shares. But that isn't the case...

Also, the Private setting is greyed out. Is that a Plus/Pro-Version-Thing?

Filme.png.21da27acc85f034ca8d91c3d6ba0f0a0.png

Bilder.png.2c14f12f03396c6095b05a5723507980.png

Also, the Private setting is greyed out. Is that a Plus/Pro-Version-Thing?

Yes. If you make it hidden though nobody will be able to access it unless they know the path since they will not be able to see it just by browsing.

That would be just enaugh for me.

My actual problems still persist, does anyone have answers for those questions?

[*]unRaid automatically creates a user share for every top level folder on each disk. If I don't want that how can I remove a specific share if it is not empty?

[*]As which user do computers on the network access the SMB shares if they have no credentials set (and no matching username/password in unraid)?

[*]Which permissions apply for the whole disks beeing exported to SMB?(eg. /disk1/, /disk2/ who can read or write there?

[*]Why can every user on the SMB-network write (and change/delete files!!) to /disk1/Filme and /Filme (usershare) and no one (even not nobody) to /disk/Filme/Serien or /Filme/Serien? Still only my user 'moritz' should have write access.. :-(

Some more Questions:

[*]unRaid automatically creates a user share for every top level folder on each disk. If I don't want that how can I remove a specific share if it is not empty? edit: OK, i set them to "not export".

[*]As which user do computers on the network access the SMB shares if they have no credentials set (and no matching username/password in unraid)? Select public. No password is required.

[*]Which permissions apply for the whole disks beeing exported to SMB? who can read or write there? Set disk share permissions by clicking in the disk link on unRAID main, e.g., click disk1. These permissions are independent for share settings that may include the particular disk.

[*]Why can every user on the SMB-network write (and change/delete files!!) to /disk1/Filme and /Filme (usershare) and no one (even not nobody) to /disk/Filme/Serien or /Filme/Serien? Still only my user 'moritz' should have write access.. :-(Run the New permissions utility

I simply want two kinds of permissions for my folders/shares:

• Visible Folders: Visible/readable to all users on the network, but they can not modify my files. Visible and Writable by me(moritz).
  • Unvisible Folders: Only visible to me

Shares can be exported as hidden and permissions settings can limit access.

[*]As which user do computers on the network access the SMB shares if they have no credentials set (and no matching username/password in unraid)? Select public. No password is required.

[*]Which permissions apply for the whole disks beeing exported to SMB? who can read or write there? Set disk share permissions by clicking in the disk link on unRAID main, e.g., click disk1. These permissions are independent for share settings that may include the particular disk.

[*]Why can every user on the SMB-network write (and change/delete files!!) to /disk1/Filme and /Filme (usershare) and no one (even not nobody) to /disk/Filme/Serien or /Filme/Serien? Still only my user 'moritz' should have write access.. :-(Run the New permissions utility

Shares can be exported as hidden and permissions settings can limit access.

1. Not sure you got my question right ;-)

2. Thank you for that tip!! I did not know that, not sure if it is on the wiki? But propably my fault not reading it careful anaugh ::)

3. I did run the utility, but apparently it only applies for top level folders on a disk. I just checked /mnt/disk1/ where every directory has 'drwxrwxrwx' as it should, but under /mnt/disk1/Filme I have a few directories and some of them only have 'dr-xr-xr-x'. Maybe there is a bug in the script???

I ran it several times and it completed with sync for every of my 2 disks :-(

What if I set permissions manually to 777 for folders and 666 for files (like described on the explanation page for the New Permissions Utility)? How will this affect my SMB shares? can I still prohibit write-access to those files when I set it to 'secure'?

• 2 weeks later...

I ran it several times and it completed with sync for every of my 2 disks :-(

What if I set permissions manually to 777 for folders and 666 for files (like described on the explanation page for the New Permissions Utility)? How will this affect my SMB shares? can I still prohibit write-access to those files when I set it to 'secure'?

Any Idea on that? I would use:

find /mnt/disk1 -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 777
find /mnt/disk1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 666

Trying this on my TV Series folder helped me to resolve the problems from the first thread...