Question about how to configure split level for movies [SOLVED]

I wasn't really sure how to search on this so I apologize if this has been asked before. My question is what split level, if any, will work for splitting my movies using high water based on current folder structure.

Movies Folder

|                                            |

Collections Folders                        Individual Movie Files

As you can see I do not use individual folders for all my movies and aside from sorting collections I apply no special sort to individual movies. I was thinking using Split Level 2 would work, but I wasn't sure because not all my files are in folders.

Ask in the General Support forum. This is a Security forum.

???

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26405.0

Was originally in "Security Model".

@OP, it really depends (I feel), are all your movies one single file (E.G. no external subtitles/images/multiple parts)?

If yes (One file):-

I'd just set it to the level of the deepest folder, every shallower directory won't be unique to one drive, so, all movies will be spread out.

If no (Multiple files):-

Up to you, if you set it over multiple drives then when you try to access one movie and it's on disk a, but the subtitles are on disk B, then you'll have to spin up (and leave running) a disk that's just trying to access a 3MB file.

Sorry I asked in the wrong forum. My bad.

To answer the questions. Yes all my movies are one file. I do not use any artwork files, nfo's, external subs, split parts, etc. The only time I group them into folders is if they are part of a collection. Example: The Lord of The Rings Trilogy or Star Wars. These are all grouped together in their own folders. I realize my method probably makes no sense to anyone else.

As for what am I trying to do with my collection? Yes I want to split it across multiples disks. The only things I want to stay together on one disk are the collections which are actually in folders. Other than that, all the individual files can go on any disk I don't have a preference.

As for reading the manual. I did look at the manual but there is no description that fully explains my file structure. It describes using folders at each level except the lowest level which would be all files. I currently have it set to level 2 because based on looking at the manual I was guessing this would work for my file structure. I was just hoping someone else might have an idea if it would.

Sorry I asked in the wrong forum. My bad.

To answer the questions. Yes all my movies are one file. I do not use any artwork files, nfo's, external subs, split parts, etc. The only time I group them into folders is if they are part of a collection. Example: The Lord of The Rings Trilogy or Star Wars. These are all grouped together in their own folders. I realize my method probably makes no sense to anyone else.

As for what am I trying to do with my collection? Yes I want to split it across multiples disks. The only things I want to stay together on one disk are the collections which are actually in folders. Other than that, all the individual files can go on any disk I don't have a preference.

As for reading the manual. I did look at the manual but there is no description that fully explains my file structure. It describes using folders at each level except the lowest level which would be all files. I currently have it set to level 2 because based on looking at the manual I was guessing this would work for my file structure. I was just hoping someone else might have an idea if it would.

Oh, okay, then go ahead and select a split level of "1", it'll allow all root files/folders (E.G. non-grouped files and collection folders) to be placed on any disk but anything in deeper subdirectories (E.G. collection FILES) to be forced onto the first drive that has the folder (E.G. Only 1 drive).

Can I just confirm your folders look like this?:-

/movies/One.mkv
/movies/Two.mkv
/movies/Three.mkv
/movies/FourThroughSix/Four.mkv
/movies/FourThroughSix/Five.mkv
/movies/FourThroughSix/Six.mkv

1 = Movies will be on every disk but each Collection will be on a single disk or the share can split but no directory structure under the share can split.

Is that not what I said & what he asked for?

I think that is what he wants and that is why I am confirming it. Afraid you're not getting credit for your answer?

I am currently in the process of doing a small migration. I am currently only transferring the contents of a single disk on my other server to the new server. I am thinking that before that disk completes I should see the split happen. Unfortunately at 11mb/s this is going to take some time. Once I see the split and how that works out I will let you guys know. I am thinking based on what both of you have said that this should end up working for my structure. I truly appreciate the help.

I am currently in the process of doing a small migration. I am currently only transferring the contents of a single disk on my other server to the new server. I am thinking that before that disk completes I should see the split happen. Unfortunately at 11mb/s this is going to take some time. Once I see the split and how that works out I will let you guys know. I am thinking based on what both of you have said that this should end up working for my structure. I truly appreciate the help.

If you temporarily set the split mode to "Free space" you'll see it much faster, then you can switch it back to high water.

Well I finished the initial transfer and it looks like it is working the way I was wanting. So I appreciate the help from everyone. I also figured out why my transfer speeds were so slow, apparently my cable which was marked as a Cat 5e was actually a Cat 5. I swapped out the cable and my transfer speed was literally over 10 times faster.

Definitely no cache drive for me, at least right now. I would have overwritten the space on a cache drive on this initial transfer. If I decide to do a cache drive it will definitely be later when I am done moving files from my old server.

Well I finished the initial transfer and it looks like it is working the way I was wanting. So I appreciate the help from everyone. I also figured out why my transfer speeds were so slow, apparently my cable which was marked as a Cat 5e was actually a Cat 5. I swapped out the cable and my transfer speed was literally over 10 times faster.

Definitely no cache drive for me, at least right now. I would have overwritten the space on a cache drive on this initial transfer. If I decide to do a cache drive it will definitely be later when I am done moving files from my old server.

If you hit the cap on your cache drive it overflows to the array. I learnt that the other day:-

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26408.msg230931#msg230931

Archived