Crashplan 3.5.2

kbowman

I made the mistake of messing with my crashplan install and upgraded it to 3.5.2. When I launch the app it launches and then after a few seconds says "CrashPlan has been disconnected from the backup engine." I tried uninstalling it and downgrading it back to 3.4.1 but it immediately upgraded itself back to 3.5.2. The backup engine seems to be running and when I relaunch the app it seems to be on another file.

Any Ideas?

A couple of questions - which version of unraid are you using and which crashplan plugin? Some of the older older ones refused to work once Crashplan updated itself.

How much are you trying to backup? Once you get to around 2.5tb you have to start allocating more memory.

The version of the plugin I am using is here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24875.0

I am currently backing up about 3.3tb so I don't know how much memory you might need for that much. I upgraded from 2gb to 4gb just in case. Apparently, you can set the value to larger than the installed RAM you have though

To increase the memory allocated to crashplan you need to update the run.conf file located in [installdir]/crashplan/cp_bin/bin/

Change the first line in file from

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m ...

to

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms128m -Xmx850m ...

to increase the memory from 512 to 850.

Restart the service and verify that it doesn't keep restarting.

BTW there will probably be hundreds of files in the bin folder - they are restart logs which I think you can safely remove.

• 5 months later...

This topic helped me fix my problem. But I noticed that when I try to set the max memory to 2GB (I have 4GB installed and the max is currently set to 1GB) it does not start the java process though the CrashPlanEngine start command comes back saying it is started. The crashplan support site says to have about 1GB memory for every 1TB that you plan to back up. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem of not being able to increase the memory past a certain size? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the memory setting set to 2048 however Crashplan would not run anymore. Thx to this topic I reverted to 1024 setting and Crashplan would start again.

My problem now is that Crashplan is very slow which is  why I modified the memory setting to 2048 in the first place. I am backing up over 2TB. I have 4 GB of memory installed and the system is running fine except for this issue.

Crashplan was running fine with RC 16 and the 2048 setting.

Is v5.0 limiting the allowed memory for plugins somehow? Can I change this allowed memory somehow?

Is unRaid 5.0 64 bit? Or more importantly, is the JVM (java virtual machine) 64 bit? Because that would put a limit on the virtual machine's memory max (-Xmx option). You can look at the logs to see if you get an error responding to memory. I have not had a chance to check the JVM and determine this when I was seeing the problem.

Thx for your thoughts, will continue to test.

I only backup the essential files to CrashPlan Central, <500 GB, the 2 TB backup is to an off-site server. It seems as either java vm is crashing or crashplan. Crashplan keeps disconnecting and connecting again, this is why it appears very slow.

As far as I know unRaid is 32bit. If I increase from 1024 to 2048 CrashPlanEngine won't even start. I will check the logs and try to find what's going on.

So it sounds like the jvm is 32 bit then. I don't think it matters where the backup is going but only the amount you're backing up. According to CrashPlan you should have 1 gig of memory for every TB you're backing up. Though that's a rule of thumb, but lack of memory is why I was seeing CrashPlan failing on me.