unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc12 Available

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No dice.  Could be a plugin issue as I didn't unload all plugins (not an unRAID problem, I know), but based on the following from the syslog, it appears to be a NIC issue.

Mar 22 18:58:16 Landfill ifconfig[8221]: eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Mar 22 18:58:17 Landfill ethtool[8230]: Settings for eth0:

Mar 22 18:58:17 Landfill ethtool[8230]: No data available

Mobo has Realtek RTL8168F/8111F NIC.  Rolled back to rc11 for now.

Tom can you tell us what has changed? The release notes link takes me to a generic R5 section that explains upgrading. Other than flush support is there anything in particular to look for? I've seen some slowness with my system but I've been suspecting it was an ESX issue. <shrug>

Thank you for your continued support and work towards R5!

Tom can you tell us what has changed? The release notes link takes me to a generic R5 section that explains upgrading. Other than flush support is there anything in particular to look for? I've seen some slowness with my system but I've been suspecting it was an ESX issue. <shrug>

Thank you for your continued support and work towards R5!

Right, sorry about the terse post; I got interrupted before being able to type out the full explanation but I still wanted to get the release out there.

The main thing here is the 'flush' changes in the unraid driver.  Other thing here is network bonding support.  This lets you use multiple ethernet connections.  Good overview here:

http://serverfault.com/questions/446911/what-are-the-differences-between-channel-bonding-modes-in-linux

I have been using mainly mode 1 (active backup) and have not thoroughly tested the other modes to see what throughput increase if any occurs with the other modes.  Some of the modes require switch support.

There are not specific fixes in here for "slow write" or nagging "nfs stale file handle" problems, but I need to release 5.0-final because there are multiple new features ready to go.

As for "slow write", I have X9SCM-F m/b with a xeon E3-1270 on order (which is damn expensive btw) and I should be able to replicate the issue.

The nfs stale file handle issue is a bugger because of how FUSE works.  The solution here is going to involve either a large amount of RAM or use of a swap device/file.

My plan is to finish the webGui documentation and migration guide (from 4.7) and then release 5.0, even if above mentioned issues still exist (sorry).

Edit: I should add: to enable network bonding just go to Settings/Network settings and you'll see "Bonding" - set to "Yes" and set your mode.  It should take effect without reboot.  Finally make use of your extra ethernet ports!

Tom can you tell us what has changed? The release notes link takes me to a generic R5 section that explains upgrading. Other than flush support is there anything in particular to look for?

If you drop down past the upgrade instructions, you will see the Change Log, which includes 9 items for RC12.

Has any change been made to webgui indexer and/or reverting back to logging to the syslog?

Any changes/fixes for AFP?

Any fix for mover always spinning up the very first disk (#1), when there is no data that is slated for disk#1?

-forgot to ask, for slack: 'user' alias; why was this added, I guess maybe an example of what this 'su' alias can be used for (ex. During a plugin installation) or that maybe you started using it internally for something?

No dice.  Could be a plugin issue as I didn't unload all plugins (not an unRAID problem, I know), but based on the following from the syslog, it appears to be a NIC issue.

Mar 22 18:58:16 Landfill ifconfig[8221]: eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

confirmed, not working with Realtek 8111DL

confirmed, not working with Realtek 8111DL

same here with 8111D

syslog-20130322-235337.zip

Running rc12 now... parity check speed is still ridiculously slow, running at 50% and less of what it was on rc5.

Back to the drawing board Tom, this is not good. I don't know what you did to the parity checks after rc5, but you should change it back. This sucks.

Running rc12 now... parity check speed is still ridiculously slow, running at 50% and less of what it was on rc5.

Back to the drawing board Tom, this is not good. I don't know what you did to the parity checks after rc5, but you should change it back. This sucks.

This is with SF though and without SF you get normal speeds correct?

Same here. rc11 is fine but rc12 does not recognise NIC.

Here is a dump form rc11

ethtool -i eth0
driver: r8168
version: 8.035.00-NAPI
firmware-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0

Update: I am pretty certain in 4.7 this was the r8169 driver not r8168