AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and ESXi 5.1

My ESXi build is up and running fine due to the great guide from Johnm and the advise from other's in the Atlas thread.

As my Adaptec controller were not recognized by ESXi I decided to buy a M1015 but it was not available to get for a reasonable price. I finally ended up buying a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 as a bargain.

Passthru in ESXi is not an issue but it's shown as "unknown RAID controller" (see MV8.jpg). However everything's going well except something I really don't like: from time to time the Parity drive is shown as "Missing" after having started the unRAID guest (I have no clue if this would have been the case in a bare metal unRAID environment).

A reboot is always eliminating the issue.

What experience are having other's who are using that controller? What log file should I look into?

• 4 weeks later...

I followed your advice from the other [Altas] thread and it appears to have gone in OK. I dont have any drives on it yet.

I did not see anything about the Int13 disabling - Can you elaborate on that please.

If you every work out how to get the correct discription to show up please post it here as well.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Was the sas2lp-mv8 immediately detected in ESXi? Is 5.1 needed or will 5.0 work too?

I have the sas2lp-mv8 on a X8SIL-F and it is detected by the motherboard. I can enter the BIOS of the card, INT13 is disabled. But it doen't show up in ESXi under storage controllers.

pretty sure you have to do the Hack to get the SASLP working under ESXi (any version).

Was the sas2lp-mv8 immediately detected in ESXi? Is 5.1 needed or will 5.0 work too?

I have the sas2lp-mv8 on a X8SIL-F and it is detected by the motherboard. I can enter the BIOS of the card, INT13 is disabled. But it doen't show up in ESXi under storage controllers.

pretty sure you have to do the Hack to get the SASLP working under ESXi (any version).

Also for the SAS2LP? Or is there a different hack for the sas2lp? Where can I find this hack? Will the sas2lp show up in ESXi? And do I need to apply the hack also to VMs?

• 2 months later...

Hey.. first time post.. 

I have an esxi server, sas2lp-mv8 with 4 drives.

In esxi it reports that the sas2lp is an 'unknown storage controller'  however beyond that it seems to work fine except for a couple of issues.

Transfer speeds seem slow ~20MB/s up and ~40MB down.  More troubling is that all my drives are 3GB/s SATA drives and during Unraid startup it reports the drives as being ATA UDMA/33 and not the expected SATA.

Any ideas why my drives aren't being detected as SATA?  On the mobo bios I have ACHI turned on with one 1TB drive hooked up.  Off of the sas I have 3 drives, one 2TB parity drive, and two 2TB storage drives. They are all sata.  I'm currently running unraid 5.0 rc13

Thanks for your help..