Author Topic: no bootable partition in table_  (Read 4620 times)

Offline donburkard

no bootable partition in table_
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:47:02 PM »
Ive been messing with the different bios settings for two hours now and i keep getting the same thing.

What does that mean?

I have reinstalled the os 3 times now as well.

any thoughts?

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
Re: no bootable partition in table_
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
Ive been messing with the different bios settings for two hours now and i keep getting the same thing.

What does that mean?

I have reinstalled the os 3 times now as well.

any thoughts?

Let's see...

Have you followed the instructions in the wiki here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation
It lists the "-ma" optioin to the syslinux command.   
The -m option installs a "master boot record"  the -a option marks it as the active "bootable" partition.

If you have done that, then perhaps you have changed the boot order in your BIOS, or it did it for you as you installed new hardware.
You need to make the USB flash drive the boot device AND it needs to have an active bootable partition

Either you have not selected the USB drive as the boot device, or your flash drive does not have a single partition marked as bootable having an installed "master-boot-record"  (or, your BIOS is old enough where it cannot boot from a USB flash drive)

Joe L.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:20:09 PM by Joe L. »

Offline donburkard

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 02:49:18 PM »
That did it.  Thank you.

Now its getting stuck and wont go past loading bzroot.

any thoughts

Offline donburkard

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
Ok after about 3 min it says boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

What does that mean?

I have two hds in it.  one has windows on it but it will reformat it anyway right?

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:59:27 PM »
Ok after about 3 min it says boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue.

What does that mean?
It means you are still NOT booting from the USB drive.

You have given me NO clues to work on....   
What specifically did you change now that you think it is going further?   

What motherboard are you using?  What is the version of its BIOS? What USB drive are you using?
Does it have a U3 partition on it? If so, it will need to be removed.
Did you use the HP tool to format the drive?  If not, why not try that?  It is one of the steps listed in the wiki and it often allows your BIOS to boot a slightly different geometry on the flash drive. and be successful.

We are not mind readers....  Tell us EXACTLY what you did.
Here is an analogy...  My car won't start... why not?  perhaps it ran out of gas, perhaps I did not start it, perhaps the battery is dead, perhaps the engine was stolen in the night?   I'll let you guess...    If all I said was "my car won't start" you would never know if I even put the key in the ignition, or turned it unless I gave a bit more detail.
I have two hds in it.  one has windows on it but it will reformat it anyway right?
Yes, it will reformat the data drive once you assign it on your devices page, and then check the "reformat" checkbox on the main page before you start it after the disk is assigned.

You do not need to have ANY disks installed in order to get your flash drive booting...   That is an entirely different issue.  Any message that says it timed out sure was not coming from the flash drive....  but probably from your bios, or your old windows hard disk.
do you still get the same message with the hard disks disconnected?

Joe L.

Offline donburkard

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »
I added the -ma part. 

your right i havent given any real info. my bad

my mb is a k8m800 micro am2

the chipset is k8m800-8237

the bios version is 1.05

two hard drives in it. one sata, one ide.  150 gig ide and 320 sata

the usb drive is a memorex roto drive 401b

i have not tried the hp thing yet.  i will give it a try and see how it goes

thanks

Offline donburkard

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
Ok i tried the hp thing and now when i turn on the server it still wants to boot to hard drive so i went back into the bios and made sure it was set to boot from the usb fdd.  i also set the second priority to usb zip, and the third priority to usb cdrom.  now when i start the computer it says verifying dmi pool data.................
boot error
_

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
Ok i tried the hp thing and now when i turn on the server it still wants to boot to hard drive so i went back into the bios and made sure it was set to boot from the usb fdd.  i also set the second priority to usb zip, and the third priority to usb cdrom.  now when i start the computer it says verifying dmi pool data.................
boot error
_
I know you set the boot priority, but on my BIOS, once formatted by the HP tool, the USB drive appears under the list of hard disks in the bios.  It is there I have to select it, after select USD-HDD as the boot device.

Have you selected the USB Flash specifically as the boot device?  Or just put it first in the boot priority?
ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/K8M800MAM2/K8M800%20Micro%20AM2bios.pdf
You might need to select the USB-HDD option on your bios if it shows itself there.

Also, it appears as if the current MB bios on the biostar web-site might be 1.0.9... an update might help if nothing else works.
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/bios.php?S_ID=141
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:13:32 PM by Joe L. »

Offline donburkard

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 06:08:24 PM »
I dont have that option, the only thing i could do is set it to first priority.

I have the option as its posting to push f9 to set the boot priority there as well which i have done and i still get "boot error"

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
After formatting with the HP tool, did you run syslinux -ma on it again? (I think you would need to) And then copy the files to it from the unRAID distribution...
Then, after using the HP tool to change the geometry, it usually shows up as a USB HDD... so set to boot from HDD, then select the USB-HDD from the Hard-Disk menu if it is there.

Joe L.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:18:37 PM by Joe L. »

Offline RobJ

• Global Moderator
  • Epox MF570 (nForce570) (A-) / Biostar nForce4 (D-)
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »
Linux supports that chipset, but I don't know if Tom has included the support in current unRAID releases.  I do not see any VIA8237 or K8M800 chipsets listed on our Hardware Compatibility page.  In addition, the specs for that board are really limited.  You may want to look for a cheap replacement, one with more SATA ports and expansion slots, and perhaps better USB boot capability (which could be in a later BIOS update for this board).

It sounds to me like you haven't found the right way to format that flash drive yet, that will allow that board to recognize it.  It can be a frustrating and long process, to find the right combo of format and drive setup and BIOS config.  I think you were closer with the syslinux -ma option, since with 'Verifying DMI ...' or 'Boot error' responses, that board is not finding a bootable drive at all.  Did it actually start to load bzroot but hang?  If so, it may not be compatible, or you may have to try some of the Boot Codes.  The USB Flash Drive Preparation page has a lot of ideas to try, but I think some have had to give up on certain flash drives with certain motherboards.
Need help, start here:  Troubleshooting      Questions?  Try the FAQ      Please contribute to the unRAID Wiki

Offline donburkard

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
I ran everything again, just like i was supposed to.  It didnt work.

I tried what you suggested as well.  there is no usb-hdd option

At this point im ready to just say "f" it.  I have another mb sitting around that i was trying to wait to use untill my other unraid pro server was full so i could use that for another pro one but oh well.
Ill just use that unless you have any other suggestions.

should i try updating the bios?  the date on it said jan 08.

Yea ok robj just posted as i was typing this.  Im just going to give up on this mb and move to my other one.  I just wanted to use this one cause i figured it was a cheep exta board i had layin aroun and i thought it would be perfect for my itunes.  i could just leave it at a few hundred gigs and forget about it.

Thanks guys.  I really do appreciate all your help.  Keep your eyes out for my next attempt. im sure ill "f" something up there to.   Thanks again.

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:26 PM »
If the image below looks like your BIOS, use the HP tool to format your flash drive, then run syslinux -ma on it, then copy the files from the release. Don't forget to set the volume label to UNRAID

Assuming you've done this, choose the HARD DISK as first boot priority,
then, in the Hard Disk Boot Priority screen, pictured on the lower part of the image below, choose the USB-HDD0  (probably will be your flash drive)

Joe L.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:36:51 PM by Joe L. »

Offline donburkard

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
well damn. i just got done putting in the other mb i had then realized i didnt have any more extra video cards. 

Yes that bios looks like mine.  I will try this again.

Before i do let me ask you this, Which hp thing do i run?  I followed the link on the wiki and downloaded the zip.  When i unzipped it it had an installation wizard.  when i ran that out popped three different tools.  1 looked like dos when i opened it, and the other two looked very similar to the standard windows format tools.  Actually come to think about it those last two where identical i think.  Which one is the right one? I ran all three.

Oh yea, before i forget, do you have any experience with this board? Good, bad, anything i should know?

Thank you so much.  Read the "you must read this" post in the lounge!

Offline Joe L.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 07:00:01 PM »
well damn. i just got done putting in the other mb i had then realized i didnt have any more extra video cards. 

Yes that bios looks like mine.  I will try this again.

Before i do let me ask you this, Which hp thing do i run?  I followed the link on the wiki and downloaded the zip. 
Not sure what link you followed, all I remember in the wiki is a suggestion to google "HP SP27213.exe" to find the  HP utility.  It is not a zip file....

What did you download?  (Since the wiki is constantly being edited by many people, it is possible for a link to exist i am not aware of, but the utility i was referring to was named SP27213.exe.  it is a windows program.
When i unzipped it it had an installation wizard.  when i ran that out popped three different tools.  1 looked like dos when i opened it, and the other two looked very similar to the standard windows format tools.  Actually come to think about it those last two where identical i think.  Which one is the right one? I ran all three.
What are the names of the files?
Oh yea, before i forget, do you have any experience with this board? Good, bad, anything i should know?
Sorry, no, I just googled for your motherboard, found the PDF manual, and did a quick screen capture of the pages I figured you'd need.
I just remember that my flash drive is listed as a removable hard-disk in my bios.  I thought you could see if yours showed up there too.
Thank you so much.  Read the "you must read this" post in the lounge!
I saw it, and I thank you for the kind words.  Quite a few of us try to help.   Sometimes we have success, some times it is not as easy...

Joe L.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:28:36 PM by Joe L. »