unMENU 1.6 - now available (A major upgrade in appearance)

Is the a way to stop unmenu re-writing all the links? unless the are hard coded.  What I mean is if I browes to my sever from my tablet using ip address I can get to unmenu fine but any link I use then goes back to trying to use the host name and breaks tablet is android unrooted so doesn't see work group names.  Original unraid GUI does not do this.

Yes,  same solution as for MAC users.

I think you can simply set a variable in your unmenu_local.conf file like this:

unRAIDHost = 192.168.1.100

using the correct IP address, of course.

See here

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2595.msg40483;topicseen#msg40483

Try this

Add two lines to your unmenu.conf file.

MyHost=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

unRAIDHost=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX = your IP address of the server,

then, restart unMENU.

Joe L.,

I just happen to have two disks with the same last 4 digit serial numbers. My parity and disk5. What are the chances huh? (1 in 10,000 with WD I suppose)

This leads me to not be able to set any configuration data for Disk5 as it is seen as the same disk as my Parity and no new entry is made in myMain_local.conf.

Been aware of it for a while and and never thought it was big deal because that 500gb drive will be the first one I replace. However I started to wonder if it being misidentified could cause any issues in any other areas.

6-16-2013_7-24-20_PM.jpg.fe0f35ccbec299f88800c9583c01cc34.jpg

6-16-2013_7-27-05_PM.jpg.963492ec8f205188bd98751c96c6f7b0.jpg

Joe L.,

I just happen to have two disks with the same last 4 digit serial numbers. My parity and disk5. What are the chances huh? (1 in 10,000 with WD I suppose)

This leads me to not be able to set any configuration data for Disk5 as it is seen as the same disk as my Parity and no new entry is made in myMain_local.conf.

Been aware of it for a while and and never thought it was big deal because that 500gb drive will be the first one I replace. However I started to wonder if it being misidentified could cause any issues in any other areas.

I don't know of any issues it would cause...

You can edit

myMain_local.conf

and add a line like this:

SetConstant(IdLen,          6)        # number of digits for disk id (used in drive settings screen)

Odds are you'll see a unique serial number when 6 characters are visible.  (capitalization is important, so follow the example accurately)

Joe L.,

I don't know of any issues it would cause...

You can edit

myMain_local.conf

and add a line like this:

SetConstant(IdLen,          6)        # number of digits for disk id (used in drive settings screen)

Odds are you'll see a unique serial number when 6 characters are visible.  (capitalization is important, so follow the example accurately)

Copied and pasted your line exactly then changed 6 to 5.

Shows everything with a 5 digit ID even the config page but when you save settings on the disk config page it saves them in myMain_local.conf with a 4 digit ID (ie SetDriveValue(3658)

Erased existing entry manually from myMain_local.conf, restarted unmenu and then tried saving a new entry but it again showed up as 5 digits everywhere but saved as 4 digits.

Went and manually put the extra digit in each entry in myMain_local.conf and that displayed everything as 5 digits. As soon as I changed a value and saved it changed every SetDriveValue line for that disk from 5 digits back to 4.

Like I said not a big deal for config info as I'll end up replacing that drive anyway. My main concern was if any smart data would get wrongly displayed in MyMain or something.

Joe L.,

A bit off topic Fyi, there is about 1 in 2million chance actually. I did that based on just the 4 digit serials maching on any of your 11 drives (dunno if being model/brand also affect it). Then again, theres alot of people in the community, the odds of someone getting this problem actually gets alot better (again, not counting brand/model).

Joe,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this suggestion.

I have an idea for a new myMain view, a Chassis Heat Map.  The high-density servers, like the Norco's/SuperMicros/X-Cases, can suffer from localized heating, where one drive runs hot and heats up the surrounding drives.  A Chassis Heat Map would help identify this behavior.  Here's a picture I mocked up to illustrate the concept (let me know if it doesn't show).

unMENU_myMain_HeatMap.jpg

There would need to be options to control drive layout (i.e. 24 drive chassis like the picture above, 20 drive chassis, etc.), so that each user could tailor to their own chassis.  Every chassis slot would show, even if no drive was installed.

The background color of each drive/cell would be relative to the drive temperature, moving from dark blue for cold to dark red for burning up.  If you can't tell in the picture, I chose a slightly different color for every degree increment from 20C to 50C, so 31 different colors.  Going from memory, I think you just use 3 background colors in your current views: yellow, orange, and red.

unMENU_myMain_HeatMap_Scale.jpg

The layout is pretty compact, yet there's still some spare room left for additional info, like the Status icon and amount of Free Space.  It would be even nicer if a bar graph could be incorporated that shows Free Space, similar to your new unMENU Main page, individually added to each drive.

While I keep my disk #'s and slot #'s the same (i.e. disk7 is also in slot 7), I'm sure I'm in the minority, so having the drive's position in the chassis driven by the "Slot" value on your Inventory view would be a good solution.

Do you think something like this is possible?  I took a look at some of your code (07-unmenu-mymain.awk) and was completely lost.  I know how to code a little bit, but I think this is way beyond me.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can (i.e. HTML color codes for the graduated temperature scale).

Thanks,

-Paul

Actually if the temps were simply color-coded that would be nice.

It would be simple enough for the folks who would use this info to take a few minutes and re-assign all the drives so they had the same correlation you mentioned vis-à-vis drive position vs. chassis slot.

a few years ago i did a mockup of grading the color off the value (green and red out of the rgb), you can see the result here:

sb-progress4.png

obviously the type of grading to be done for your suggestion is a bit different.

what you want to do is more of a color scale where the temp value falls into a configurable? range (which is already in the config) and just have the variance before it hits that value provide the ranges. which is pretty simple.. the hard part is just knowing how the data should be shown per the users config / drive layout.

anyways, let me know if you want help with it.

there are a ton of examples and modules out there that you could prob hack into what you want. you could just start out pretty simple and just do css div and force people to manually config the disk to logical order. or even just show the data in a table/grid (like excel).

also, you could do something like:

http://jqueryui.com/sortable/#display-grid

http://jqueryui.com/sortable/#portlets

then just save the order and load. that way people could just move it around easily. vs trying to do some sort of logic to figure out how the drives are physically mapped out to disk number.

Joe,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this suggestion.

I have an idea for a new myMain view, a Chassis Heat Map.

Looks like an interesting idea.

Do you think something like this is possible?

Yes, it is certainly possible.  I think it would just involve drawing the array with two nested loops.  (One for horiz, one for vert)  The array you pictured was 6x4 (6 rows in 4 columns), my older server is 12x1 (12 slots in 1 column) and my newer server is 1x14 ) 1 row with 14 slots)  You would need a cnfiguration page to put the number of horizontal and vertical rows/columns so it could draw it properly.
  I took a look at some of your code (07-unmenu-mymain.awk) and was completely lost.  I know how to code a little bit, but I think this is way beyond me.

It is not my code.  It is pretty well structured.  the myMain page was written by bjp999. (and some of it, especially that without comments, is beyond me too)  You can tell when it is my code (most everything except myMain), as the comment/code ratio is pretty high.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can (i.e. HTML color codes for the graduated temperature scale).

Thanks,

-Paul

I appreciate the feedback.  It is what makes unMENU great.  It was designed as a rapid prototyping tool.    We'll have to give this one a bit of thought.

Joe L.

On my esxi build I get these in the event log,  have seen one instance where they were constant most times there are only a few of them. 

Jun 15 12:58:30 VMTower unmenu[1526]: ERROR: Can't get value of subfeature temp1_input: Can't read (Errors)

Jun 15 12:58:30 VMTower unmenu[1526]: ERROR: Can't get value of subfeature temp2_input: Can't read (Errors)

Jun 15 12:58:30 VMTower unmenu[1526]: ERROR: Can't get value of subfeature temp1_input: Can't read (Errors)

Jun 15 12:58:30 VMTower unmenu[1526]: ERROR: Can't get value of subfeature temp2_input: Can't read (Errors)

These errors are being produced because it cannot get the temps of my cpu.  This is an esxi build.  Can generate the error when I go into system info and then go cpu.  This may be a byproduct of me turning off the ipmi component of esxi due to high cpu usage issues.

On my esxi build I get these in the event log,  have seen one instance where they were constant most times there are only a few of them. 

These errors are being produced because it cannot get the temps of my cpu.  This is an esxi build.  Can generate the error when I go into system info and then go cpu.  This may be a byproduct of me turning off the ipmi component of esxi due to high cpu usage issues.

It is actually an error message from "sensors" as that utility is being invoked from within unmenu.  As I'm sure you realize, you can ignore them.

You'll see the same error if you invoke sensors from the command line.

I know that I CAN ignore them but it's just one of those things that I can't ignore :)  I don't like error messages :)  All good.

OK, then press the "Check for Updates" / "Install Updates" buttons on the User-Scripts page.  Those messages will no longer be flagged in RED.

Hi

Loving the new unMENU but think I found a problem.

When i Switch to unMENU Vertical Skin appearance and use unMENU on something with a small screen I'm unable to scroll right to view all the stuff that's off screen there.

Well, don't do that... ;)

Since the .css is easily editable (if you know style sheet syntax) we'll have to wait on someone who is knowledgeable to create a "mobile-web" version that can scroll horizontally.

Glad you like the new look.

You might try this:

In file /boot/unmenu/images/stock/unmenu_vertical.css

Change

#mainContent {

padding: 32px 12px 0;

overflow: hidden;

}

to

#mainContent {

overflow: scroll;

}

Then, re-select the Vertical skin as your preferred skin on the user-scripts page.  That will copy it to

/boot/unmenu/images/stock/unmenu.css

Joe L.

Jo Is this going to make it into an update also, i only ask as if i check and apply an update it will remove the change?

Hi

Loving the new unMENU but think I found a problem.

When i Switch to unMENU Vertical Skin appearance and use unMENU on something with a small screen I'm unable to scroll right to view all the stuff that's off screen there.

Well, don't do that... ;)

Since the .css is easily editable (if you know style sheet syntax) we'll have to wait on someone who is knowledgeable to create a "mobile-web" version that can scroll horizontally.

Glad you like the new look.

You might try this:

In file /boot/unmenu/images/stock/unmenu_vertical.css

Change

#mainContent {

overflow: hidden;

}

to

#mainContent {

overflow: scroll;

}

Then, re-select the Vertical skin as your preferred skin on the user-scripts page.  That will copy it to

/boot/unmenu/images/stock/unmenu.css

Joe L.

Jo Is this going to make it into an update also, i only ask as if i check and apply an update it will remove the change?

It is not yet part of the "official" version, HOWEVER, if you check for updates after it is included you would see that the unmenu_vertical .css file would be updated, and the OLD unmenu_vertical.css file put in a sub-directory  (It is not deleted, but "archived" so it could be restored by you if needed.)  The web-page will tell you where it has been archived.

Regardless, unMENU uses unmenu.css, which is a copy of either unmenu_horizontal.css or unmenu_vertical.css (depending on your last setting)  So, checking for updates will never change unmenu.css until you change orientation (which copies either the horiz or vert .css file into place as unmenu.css )

Python in the PKG Manager for unmenu doesn't seem to "stick" for me. I download it, install it then enable it for reboot, but upon reboot it shows as uninstalled?

Is there a way to get the 2.7.5 version as well in the pkg manager?

Thoughts on what I'm missing?

Python in the PKG Manager for unmenu doesn't seem to "stick" for me. I download it, install it then enable it for reboot, but upon reboot it shows as uninstalled?

Is there a way to get the 2.7.5 version as well in the pkg manager?

Thoughts on what I'm missing?

To install on reboot, a line is added to the end of the /boot/config/go script.  Perhaps it was not edited properly (the final carriage return did not exist) then the added line would not function as it would be tacked on the end f the prior line.  Alternatively, if the flash drive was not writable, the line would not be added.

Please attach a zipped copy of your /boot/config/go file to your next post.

As far as getting an updated version of python, see if you can find the author of the affiliated python*.conf file and ask them.  Or, find an updated slackware package and create an updated .conf file yourself just changing the URL of the package and the md5sum of it.  I do not run python on my servers and was not the author of it. (never had a need to install or run python)  I just installed it, and it installs just fine.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...

I found something interesting.  If I spin down the array, and try to access anything else of the menu section such as Syslog, unmenu locks up.  The same happens if I spin up the array.  This happens with RC15 or RC15a.

Switched to RC12a, and unmenu doesn't lock up / becomes unresponsive when I spin down / up the hard drives.  It appears that once again, I will be going back to RC12a. 

Joe L.

I found that the smartctl-unmenu-package.conf was loading a old 2008 smartmontools-5-34-i486-1.tgz

I updated mine to download

smartmontools-5.39.1-i486-1.tgz seems to be the newest and I no longer get a segfault from smart tools.

Here is my updated but I will not nor do I know where to put it to up date others so I hope you like the modification..... Mainly I was seeing if I could resolve a problem on my side but I think I should share.

smartctl-unmenu-package.conf

Joe L.

I found that the smartctl-unmenu-package.conf was loading a old 2008 smartmontools-5-34-i486-1.tgz

smartmontools-5.39.1-i486-1.tgz seems to be the newest and I no longer get a segfault from smart tools.

Here is my updated but I will not nor do I know where to put it to up date others so I hope you like the modification..... Mainly I was seeing if I could resolve a problem on my side but I think I should share.

I appreciate the newer .conf file, unRAID 5.0-rc16c has version 5.40 of smartmontools as standard.

The "description" line in the older unMENU package says:

PACKAGE_DESCR SMARTMONTOOLS is now included with unRAID. It is not necessary to install this package.

The package dates from long ago when smartctl was not yet included in unRAID.  It has been a part of unRAID for a very long time.

unRAID 4.7 has exactly the same  5.39.1 version as part of its normal distribution. By installing the 2008 package, you were putting into place an older version than supplied as standard.

Joe L.

I appreciate the newer .conf file, unRAID 5.0-rc16c has version 5.40 of smartmontools as standard.

PACKAGE_DESCR SMARTMONTOOLS is now included with unRAID. It is not necessary to install this package.

The package dates from long ago when smartctl was not yet included in unRAID.  It has been a part of unRAID for a very long time.

unRAID 4.7 has exactly the same  5.39.1 version as part of its normal distribution. By installing the 2008 package, you were putting into place an older version than supplied as standard.

Is there a newer one than the supplied one? If you want you could send me a list of things I could update in Unmenu config files to latest and greatest. As I have time I will get this over to you.

Joe L.

Is there a newer one than the supplied one? If you want you could send me a list of things I could update in Unmenu config files to latest and greatest. As I have time I will get this over to you.

The unRAID supplied version in 4.7 is exactly the same version as the .conf file you supplied.  The unRAID supplied version in 5.0-rc16c is one version newer (and I do not know where Tom@lime-tech is getting it... probably from a full slackware install and not from a "package.tgz" file.)

Like I said, the unMENU install package was created years ago when smartctl was not a standard part of unRAID.  We proved its usefulness, so eventually Tom included it.