[SOLVED] new drives won't add - 5rc10

Well I have a problem, but it is not critical.

I have three drives that were previously used in my unraid a while back and had been replaced with larger drives. I had them lying around and now want to add them to unraid again as I need more space. 1x1TB, 1x2TB, 2x3TB.

These are not pre cleared but have also not failed in the past. I don't mind if my server goes offline for a while to clear drives so I figured I could just add them. I select them when the server has booted (but not started), a blue ball appears next to each, next to the START button it warns me that it will now erase the drives etc, I click ok and START, but nothing happens, it simply reloads the page. The logs also show zero info on what just happened. I can repeat this as many times as I want, nothing happens.

I then proceeded to simply try adding one drive, but nothing happened.

So my question: Must I preclear the drives in order for them to get accepted by unraid? In the past I never pre cleared (if something were to go wrong, my fault) but all drives I added were completely new. Is the problem that there is data on the disks?

Thank you all in advance for any input!

Well I have a problem, but it is not critical.

I have three drives that were previously used in my unraid a while back and had been replaced with larger drives. I had them lying around and now want to add them to unraid again as I need more space. 1x1TB, 1x2TB, 2x3TB.

These are not pre cleared but have also not failed in the past. I don't mind if my server goes offline for a while to clear drives so I figured I could just add them. I select them when the server has booted (but not started), a blue ball appears next to each, next to the START button it warns me that it will now erase the drives etc, I click ok and START, but nothing happens, it simply reloads the page. The logs also show zero info on what just happened. I can repeat this as many times as I want, nothing happens.

I then proceeded to simply try adding one drive, but nothing happened.

So my question: Must I preclear the drives in order for them to get accepted by unraid? In the past I never pre cleared (if something were to go wrong, my fault) but all drives I added were completely new. Is the problem that there is data on the disks?

Thank you all in advance for any input!

There is no need for the drives to be pre-cleared in order to add them.  It just allows the extended down-time to be avoided and exercises the drives to weed out the early failures.

You have a different issue.  Even though you do not see any issue in the logs, a more experienced user might.  Nobody can help without the detail present in the sysllog.   

Do you have a parity drive installed?  unRAID will not clear the disks if not.  In the same way, did you set a new-disk-configuration?  If you did, unRAID will not clear the disks either. 

Did you install any plugins?  At least one installs a library file that breaks the ability to add ad partition new drives.  To see if you are affected, type:

sgdisk

and see if it complains about a missing library.

If it complains, Disable ALL your plugins and reboot.  Then retry.

Joe L.

Thank you very much! I will try that tonight. I Do have Simplefeatures installed as well as plex and crashplan.

The disk configuration has not changed, parity drive is installed (and synched).

I'll give it a go tonight and see if it is a missing library or something along those lines.

Thank you very much! I will try that tonight. I Do have Simplefeatures installed as well as plex and crashplan.

The disk configuration has not changed, parity drive is installed (and synched).

I'll give it a go tonight and see if it is a missing library or something along those lines.

And... attach a zipped copy of your syslog (after you attempt to add one of the new drives), as without it we'll have no real clues.

Ok, Disabled plex and crashplan, just for the sake of it, rebooted the server, added 1 drive, no luck. Nothing happens. Went into the terminal, typed in sgdisk, got this:

root@Tower:~# sgdisk

Usage: sgdisk

[-A|--attributes list|[partnum:show|or|nand|xor|=|set|clear|toggle|get[:bitnum|hexbitmask]]]

[-a|--set-alignment value] [-B|--backup file]

[-c|--change-name partnum:name] [-C|--recompute-chs]

[-d|--delete partnum] [-D|--display-alignment] [-e|--move-second-header]

[-E|--end-of-largest] [-f|--first-in-largest]

[-F|--first-aligned-in-largest] [-g|--mbrtogpt] [-G|--randomize-guids]

[-h|--hybrid partnum[:partnum...]] [-i|--info partnum]

[-l|--load-backup file] [-L|--list-types]

[-m|--gpttombr partnum[:partnum...]] [-n|--new partnum:start:end]

[-N|--largest-new partnum] [-o|--clear] [-p|--print] [-P|--pretend]

[-r|--transpose partnum:partnum] [-R|--replicate device_filename]

[-s|--sort] [-S|--resize-table numparts]

[-t|--typecode partnum:{hexcode|GUID}] [-T|--transform-bsd partnum]

[-u|--partition-guid partnum:guid] [-U|--disk-guid guid] [-v|--verify]

[-V|--version] [-z|--zap] [-Z|--zap-all] [-?|--help] [--usage]

[OPTION...] <device>

root@Tower:~#

no complaining of any sort about libraries, at least as far as I can tell (I am not versed in the intricacies of Linux but I am always eager to learn ;-) )

no UnRaid Gurus willing to help? I am really at a loss here. Willing to do any troubleshooting but just don't know where to start.

Step 1.  Disable ALL add-ons and plugins.

Step 2. reboot. 

(At least one other user had an issue with inability yo add drives with SimpleFeatures loaded, another with an add-on library clobbering a supplied one.)

Then try again and capture a complete syslog.  Instructions are in the sticky at the top of this post.

Joe L.

Very interesting result => the other nearly-identical problem I linked to above had exactly the same result !!

It seems that there is a bug in v5 that precludes proper clearing of new drives.  Not sure exactly what circumstances cause it -- but it is clearly a problem.

Thank you all for your help!

It seems as though simply preclearing all disks solved the issue. Tried adding them today, it worked first time!

Sounds good, but now send a PM to limetech to let him know of the issue.  Otherwise, 5.0-final will not be (final).
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived