BitTorrent Sync now available; and runs on unraid!

http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

I got this up and going in about 2 seconds. I've waited a LONG time for a private dropbox clone that actually works... Just download the i386 linux version and run it on your unraid box. BAM!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

EDIT: Not sure what's going to happen on a reboot. Might be a config file someone that we need to backup/restore in our go scripts... anyone know how to hunt that down?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've never used it and it sure does look interesting, although, all I know is the second I add something it says "Indexing", then when I refresh it disappears. Interesting idea.

Anyway, as for your question, I'd say something like changing this file:-

sync9.png

As talked about on the site:-

http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync/get-started.html#config-file

Off topic, does anyone know what editor the above image is from? I love the tab/skin/theme, it's amazing.

EDIT2:- In fact, this program is quite interesting. I do dislike the way that basically anyone with your "secret key" can connect & modify & access your files, although, I guess it's just a password, however, to be secure, I've got mine at 100 characters, shame it doesn't support symbolic characters.

All you need to do is place 'btsync' in /boot/custom/ and launch it from there. It creates a .sync folder w/ all of it's foo in there. Problem solved!

Might want to keep track of the writes, both frequency and total quantity, since that location is on the flash. Probably be better to stick it on your cache drive or on an array disk.

All you need to do is place 'btsync' in /boot/custom/ and launch it from there. It creates a .sync folder w/ all of it's foo in there. Problem solved!

Might want to keep track of the writes, both frequency and total quantity, since that location is on the flash. Probably be better to stick it on your cache drive or on an array disk.

Or ram? Unless one of your disks in an SSD (Like my cache drive is) I'd recommend to dump it in RAM, It's 100KB for god's sake, here's the script I added to my go file:-

#Download BTSync
wget http://btsync.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/btsync_i386.tar.gz -P /tmp

#Untar BTSync
cd /tmp && tar -xzf /tmp/btsync_i386.tar.gz

#Remove tar
rm /tmp/btsync_i386.tar.gz

#Run binary
/tmp/btsync --config /mnt/user/Appdata/bitTorrentSync/sync.conf

Here's my sync.conf (I know there's loads of commented stuff, I could remove it, but, meh):-

{ 
  "device_name": "Tower US",
  "listening_port" : 1234,                       // 0 - randomize port

/* storage_path dir contains auxilliary app files
   if no storage_path field: .sync dir created in the directory 
   where binary is located.
   otherwise user-defined directory will be used 
*/
  "storage_path" : "/mnt/user/Appdata/bitTorrentSync/",

// uncomment next line if you want to set location of pid file
// "pid_file" : "/var/run/syncapp/syncapp.pid",

"check_for_updates" : true, 
  "use_upnp" : false,                              // use UPnP for port mapping

/* limits in kB/s
   0 - no limit
*/
  "download_limit" : 0,                       
  "upload_limit" : 0, 

/* remove "listen" field to disable WebUI
   remove "login" and "password" fields to disable credentials check
*/
  "webui" :
  {
    "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888",
    "login" : "Wuuuut?",
    "password" : "Hahaha"
  }

/* !!! if you set shared folders in config file WebUI will be DISABLED !!!
   shared directories specified in config file
   override the folders previously added from WebUI.
*/
/*
  "shared_folders" :
  [
    {
//  use --generate-secret in command line to create new secret
      "secret" : "MY_SECRET_1",                   // * required field
      "dir" : "/home/user/bittorrent/sync_test", // * required field

//  use relay server when direct connection fails
      "use_relay_server" : true,
      "use_tracker" : true, 
      "use_dht" : false,
      "search_lan" : true,
//  enable sync trash to store files deleted on remote devices
      "use_sync_trash" : true,
//  specify hosts to attempt connection without additional search     
      "known_hosts" :
      [
        "192.168.1.2:44444",
        "myhost.com:6881"
      ]
    }
  ]
*/

// Advanced preferences can be added to config file.
// Info is available in BitTorrent Sync User Guide.

}

Appdata is located on my cache drive, in case you're wondering.

Well, after hours of fiddling around with it, I love this program (BitTorrentSync, not sublime text, which I'll try now), works great, I have it installed on four of my computers (Two of which are unraid based, one is Ubuntu and one Windows 7) and it syncs perfectly.

For sure replacing dropbox.

Well, after hours of fiddling around with it, I love this program (BitTorrentSync, not sublime text, which I'll try now), works great, I have it installed on four of my computers (Two of which are unraid based, one is Ubuntu and one Windows 7) and it syncs perfectly.

For sure replacing dropbox.

Big missing feature that would allow me to replace Dropbox with this mobile apps. They are supposed to be forthcoming though, based on a few articles I read.

Defiantly looks interesting.

Trying to get my head around how it works, am i right in thinking that only syncs the files you put into a dedicated folder then when you use that  folders secret key with another machine it will then share that folder to the second machine?

To me it seems like dropbox but without the could aspect as your sharing folders with in your group of machines and keeping them in sync with each other, are entire files synced or just the changed bits?  I ask as my upload on my net connection sucks.

I was looking at own-cloud but this looks like it could be an easier option.

Any chance of a set of install instructions, bit of a noob when i comes to code and fiddling with plugins, don't want to mess my box up.

FYI, am about 70% complete in writing a plugin for this.  Someone else may beat me to it which is fine.  There's not much to it really.  Just needs something simple to install the app and configure the absolute basics from within the unraid webgui, then hand-off the rest of the config work to the app itself.

FYI, am about 70% complete in writing a plugin for this.  Someone else may beat me to it which is fine.  There's not much to it really.  Just needs something simple to install the app and configure the absolute basics from within the unraid webgui, then hand-off the rest of the config work to the app itself.

I literally gave you the exact code you need to copy and paste into your go script. You don't need a plg for this, it's literally download, extract, run. No dependencies, no special configuration files, nothing.

Trying to get my head around how it works, am i right in thinking that only syncs the files you put into a dedicated folder then when you use that  folders secret key with another machine it will then share that folder to the second machine?

Correct

To me it seems like dropbox but without the could aspect as your sharing folders with in your group of machines and keeping them in sync with each other, are entire files synced or just the changed bits?  I ask as my upload on my net connection sucks.

APPARENTLY if the files are the same size (Before and after), it only updates the new bytes, else, updates everything. Not tested however, and, there are reports on the forum that it doesn't work and "it's being looked into"

Any chance of a set of install instructions, bit of a noob when i comes to code and fiddling with plugins, don't want to mess my box up.

Look at my post, copy and paste that into your go script.

Cool looking forward to trying it

Correct

APPARENTLY if the files are the same size (Before and after), it only updates the new bytes, else, updates everything. Not tested however, and, there are reports on the forum that it doesn't work and "it's being looked into"

Will have a look once get home tonight, curious to know how it will work if you share a folder on an array drive, will it prevent the drive from spinning down?

Just need an android client now :) that will auto sync any new photos / files once connected to a wi-fi connection.

Correct

Will have a look once get home tonight, curious to know how it will work if you share a folder on an array drive, will it prevent the drive from spinning down?

I would happily test that, however, my array always seems to be spinning for some unknown reason. I give it ~ 1 minute after I force-spindown my array and bamb, back to spinning.

Err, in fact, I believe that it might keep disks running, just for the pure reason that seems (Untested, just from looking at inotifywait) to continually read (E.G. Require disk to be spinning) .SyncID in the base directory.

What you could do (if you're so inclined) is to make a symbolic link to ram, thus keeping disks down, assuming that symbolic links are cached (Which they probably aren't), or, an even better idea would be to modify the "mover" script and force .SyncID to stay on the cache drive forever, just keeping that up.

I literally gave you the exact code you need to copy and paste into your go script. You don't need a plg for this, it's literally download, extract, run. No dependencies, no special configuration files, nothing.

How about for those who don't want to use a command line to create and edit the config, what if you want to be able to set the webgui port or choose where to site the config file so that it's not on ram or flash?  Or select where your default sync location?  What about starting and stopping the daemon?

How about for those who don't want to use a command line to create and edit the config, what if you want to be able to set the webgui port or choose where to site the config file so that it's not on ram or flash?  Or select where your default sync location?  What about starting and stopping the daemon?

A. You can do it using SMB

B. You have me on that

C. Sync.conf

D. Modify one line, which, is the exact same as a web-UI, just in a file editor vs a website

E. That's part of the web-UI of the program, there is no "Default", everything is manual.

F. You have me on that