Clearing new drives in RC12a

There have been several posts recently where folks have been unable to add new drives to v5 -- when they try to Start the array, which SHOULD cause the new drive to clear, it simply refreshes back to the unstarted state.

This is apparently a bug -- I've notified Tom/Limetech with links to those who have had the problem.

For anyone who needs to add a drive, there's a simple workaround, that's actually a better way to add drives anyhow.  Simply do a Pre-Clear on the drive using Joe L's pre-clear script.    It will then add to the array with no problem.    In fact, I suspect that the widespread use of this pre-clear script is why nobody's noticed the issue until now  :)    [i can't remember the last time I added a drive without pre-clearing it]

If you're not familiar with pre-clear, just read here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

• 2 weeks later...

I know I had a similar issue where a drive would not add properly.  I then disable simple features and unmenu, rebooted and things were happy  again.  After things were settled in, I re-enabled the add-ons and rebooted and everything was good to go.

Good to know.  I'll have to go back and ask a few of the others who were having this problem if they were also using Simple Features.

FYI, I've had several responses from folks who had the "can't clear a drive in RC12a" issue [this was "resolved" by pre-clearing the drive with the Pre-Clear utility;  then it added fine] ... and none of them were running Simple Features.

So, while the issue may still be somehow related to a specific add-on or combination thereof;  it is NOT due to Simple Features.

Hi, just now added a new precleared disk in rc12a, Unraid asks anyway to clear the disk, is it just a quick step or a full preclearing???

As i already precleared...just wondering...

You really can't tell until you press the button.  I think the wording says something like

"It will clear any new disks", but that is not accurate if a pre-clear signature is present.  (It does not give a different message if the disk is pre-cleared unfortunately)

Joe L.

Yes right, and you can't skip this step...anyway seems to be faster than preclearing, that on a 3 TB disk took 2 days...now it is 16% after half an hour

You must have done something after pre-clearing other than just assigning the disk to the array.  (did you format it perhaps?)

It sounds like unRAID did not consider the disk cleared.

Joe L.

Array isn't started, in the webgui reads and writes are all at 0....

I can only refresh to see clearing percentage....now is it at 95%, so i will have an answer soon

In the actual system rc12a i don't have any plugin, but the disk Was preaclered on previous machine with version 5.0 14 and unmenu by command

Preclear_disk.sh -A \ dev\sd*

Can this be' the cause of this behaviour???

Array isn't started, in the webgui reads and writes are all at 0....

I can only refresh to see clearing percentage....now is it at 95%, so i will have an answer soon

In the actual system rc12a i don't have any plugin, but the disk Was preaclered on previous machine with version 5.0 14 and unmenu by command

Preclear_disk.sh -A \ dev\sd*

Can this be' the cause of this behaviour???

That is not a valid preclear command...  It does not work with a wildcard character.

If it was precleared, a preclear report for it would be in the /boot/preclear_reports directory.

unMENU has absolutely nothing to do with the actual clearing, although you can follow its progress in the myMain page in unMENU.

Joe L.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a bunch of drives I purchased and pre-cleared and set aside to be ready when required to add to unRAID.

I though I was crazy but In the last few releases (sorry didn't keep track) every time I would add one, unRAID would just start a clear on them itself so the array was down the whole time. After this happening twice. On the third drive I decided to re-download your preclear script and re-precleared this third drive. Once completed, same thing unRAID didn't care and started to clear the drive. I didn't report it as it was more trouble than it was worth, everyone would question are u sure, are u sure, did u this, did u that.... So I am just stating that you can bump up the count by 1 more for how many have experienced this.

It would be nice to have a way to just apply the preclear signature via a commandline switch without preclearing so we have an easy way to test this with future releases going forward. I could take a 160gb drive and keep it for such tests, where each time I or anyone else could just add the signature and see if the release accepts it and adds the drive without clearing it.

If I recall when unRAID did accept the signature at one time, it would state its going to clear it, you answer sure go ahead and it would just skip to formatting it, which you would see upon refreshing the main page.

It would be nice to have a way to just apply the preclear signature via a commandline switch without preclearing so we have an easy way to test this with future releases going forward.

I'm sorry, but FAR too dangerous an option to have available. 

(Kind of like giving a teenage kid matches and dynamite.  Sooner or later, someone is going to get hurt) 

I specifically have an old 8 Gig drive I use for those tests.  (it is VERY old)

Takes just a few minutes for a full preclear cycle.

If I recall when unRAID did accept the signature at one time, it would state its going to clear it, you answer sure go ahead and it would just skip to formatting it, which you would see upon refreshing the main page.

I agree, the on-screen WORDING should let you know if a drive is recognized as pre-cleared or not, and if it will be zeroed, or not.    It would make it much easier to react if a disk is not detected accurately for some reason.

The proper recognition of a pre-cleared drive is an issue on the rc.X list, so it will be addressed and tested.  I'll add a link in it to your post, in case your description adds any clues.

Joe L.

I had a bunch of drives I purchased and pre-cleared and set aside to be ready when required to add to unRAID.

I though I was crazy but In the last few releases (sorry didn't keep track) every time I would add one, unRAID would just start a clear on them itself so the array was down the whole time. After this happening twice. On the third drive I decided to re-download your preclear script and re-precleared this third drive. Once completed, same thing unRAID didn't care and started to clear the drive. I didn't report it as it was more trouble than it was worth, everyone would question are u sure, are u sure, did u this, did u that.... So I am just stating that you can bump up the count by 1 more for how many have experienced this.

It would be nice to have a way to just apply the preclear signature via a commandline switch without preclearing so we have an easy way to test this with future releases going forward. I could take a 160gb drive and keep it for such tests, where each time I or anyone else could just add the signature and see if the release accepts it and adds the drive without clearing it.

I'm sorry, but FAR too dangerous an option to have available. 

(Kind of like giving a teenage kid matches and dynamite.  Sooner or later, someone is going to get hurt) 

I specifically have an old 8Gig drive I use for those tests. 

(Takes just a few minutes for a full preclear cycle)

I know, understand, you've mentioned it before in the past. No worries, we are going to put you on the hook to perform as one of the first Top 5 tests to be completed and announced if it passes by you for each release going forward :)  those that work for you?

I don't have an 8gb drive :( (your luckly)

I agree, the on-screen WORDING should let you know if a drive is recognized as pre-cleared or not, and if it will be zeroed, or not.    It would make it much easier to react if a disk is not detected accurately for some reason.

The proper recognition of a pre-cleared drive is an issue on the rc.X list, so it will be addressed and tested.  I'll add a link in it to your post, in case your description adds any clues.

Joe L.

That would be absolutely perfect if that logical was coded and the gui displayed that way, JoeL. you nailed it.