Segate 4TB external (STCA4000100) $150 (Now $140)!@ Amazon

Couldn't help myself. Ordered another. I'm going to replace one of my 2TB WD Greens that is out of warranty with this and sell it. Nice thing about this model vs. the Expansion model that was on sale last week is this one has the SATA ports exposed externally on the bottom so you can preclear it without having to remove it from the enclosure. This way you can tell both whether is it a DX or DM and whether it passes the preclear successfully without having to void the warranty.

It's down to $139.99. Snagged one for myself.

Wow, good thing I checked back here. Was able to cancel the first order in time to order it again and save the $10 bucks. Sort of drives me nuts how frequently Amazon changes prices.

Costco is selling these in store for $139 for the next few days (thru the 11th I think?)

but as usual, you have to pay sales tax...

That's where I got my first one.  Turns out, the sales tax is on the original price, the $180, so tax was about $10 for me.

According to the link provided, its 150 now.

Yep price went back up.  The (Now $140!) was from a few days ago.

I was happy to see that I got a DM (cooler than DX) from Amazon.

flips

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to starting to preclear the one I ordered a few weeks ago. It's a DM model. Have it hooked up to a PC via a USB 3 port still inside the external enclosure. This is just 3 cycle preliminary preclear to make sure they drive doesn't die since not all preclear functionality is there over USB. If all goes well I'll crack it open and do a proper full 3 cycles.

This is my first time actually using USB 3.0 and the write speeds I'm getting are exactly the same as the speeds I got on another one of these same drives hooked up via SATA. Pretty awesome.

Sorry to bump this old thread. Just wanted to mention the great USB 3 speeds.