Please HELP UNRAID do not rebuild after disk upgrading, other disk has issues

Hello, i repleced in version 5.014 beta, a 2T disk in the array (#12) with a new precleared 3TB disk...rebuilding started but after two days it was stuck on 66% for almost other two days and i couldn't do anything, nor see the system log, it was completely blocked

I shut the system down via Putty and poweroff and started again, when data rebuild started i noticed that there were many read errors on another drive, #5...stopped the array and tryed to put back the original 2TB disk in #12, but unraid sees it like a too small replacement disk and does not allow further actions

Is there a way to force the original disk back so that i can try rebuilding or correct disk #5 and/or parity

Thank you so much

Unfortunatly not....i didn't save a copy just before replacing disk....i will surely do next time after this trouble...if i could solve!

The version is 5.014 beta

later i will try to get smart report...at now disk 5 has more than 35000 read errors, but dot is green...

Anyway, i had "May  6 15:32:15 Tower kernel: ata8.00: status: { DRDY ERR }

May  6 15:32:15 Tower kernel: ata8.00: error: { UNC }

May  6 15:32:17 Tower emhttp: shcmd (107): chmod 770 '/mnt/disk5'"

I found on wiki that

"ata3.00: status: { DRDY ERR }

ata3.00: error: { UNC }"

usually refers to bad sectors on the disk...anyway, i will try to post SMART report

If i could force my previous 2 TB drive in the array at #12 i will be able to replace disk 5???? ....i know, if a copy of tha flash was saved this could have been done quickly :-[

Unplug the cables (both power and data) from Disk #5 and re-plug them.    Better yet, use a NEW SATA cable for it.

IF you're lucky (fingers crossed), disk #12 actually finished the rebuild, and it was just a status error.    After you've replaced/reseated the cables for disk #5, put the new 3TB disk #12 back and boot the array -- and see if it shows good status info (in particular good parity).

If so, you're good to go.

In any event, I would update your flash with RC12a -- there have been a LOT of changes since the early beta you're running !!

Changed Sata cable on disk 5 has no solved the problem...now is performing extended SMART i will attach later...

I have the second spare licensed registred UNRAID USB disk, can i try to upgrade to rc12a and make a NEW CONFIG on this disk, reassign (i saved configuration) all the Hard Drives in array (with the original 2TB #12 disk) and try to replace disk #5???

Should i make a parity check before replacing disk #5 or if disk 5 is very faulty parity can't be rebuilded and corrected???

Thanks

Here is disk #5 SMART report

System is very slow to perform any operation, much slower than usual...disk #5 fault????

Disk 5 is failing badly with unreadable sectors.

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  196  196  000    Old_age  Always      -      1465

you'll need to RMA it. 

Joe L.

Here is disk #5 SMART report

System is very slow to perform any operation, much slower than usual...disk #5 fault????

Disk 5 is failing badly with unreadable sectors.

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  196  196  000    Old_age  Always      -      1465

you'll need to RMA it. 

Joe L.

This is one of the times where the "trust my parity drive" procedure is what is needed to put your old parity disk back into service.  Once it is in place, you can then replace disk5 and re-construct disk5 onto the replacement.

The basic procedure is described in the wiki, but DO NOT REFRESH THE WEB-BROWSER in between typing the

mdcmd set invalidslot 99

command

and starting the array.

I'm keeping finger crossed...

Trust parity procedure didn't work for me, system hunged up because of reading error in disk5

Now i am trying to rebuild disk 5 directly, after installing version rc12a on the second pendrive ank make a new configuration with the original 2 TB disk #12...when i manually reassigned disks to the slots and saw all green dots it was a first pain healing... ;D

Then i started rebuilding of disk 5 in a new precleared HD (without parity check before as i thought that without original disk number 5 it wouldn't have been corret procedure), as for now is going on without errors....

No, since problem started when i tried to upgrade disk #12 from 2 to 3 TB and upgrading failed due to disk 5 errors, i was in the situation of one disk failing (#5) and another one virtual (#12 orange dot)

I needed to revert to original situation with the original 2 TB disk #12, i had a second pendrive licensed, so that i inserted the original 2 TB #12, made a new configuration manually assigning disks, (at this point i tried trust my parity procedure but failed due to too many disk 5 errors that hunged up system) so that i had to remove failing disk #5 and upgrade it with a new 3 TB disk...as now upgrading is still performing

I really hope for your sake that you have backups of any important data, because it really sounds like the data on disk 5 is gone for good, since you set a new configuration while you had a failing disk. I think by bypassing the trust parity procedure you told unraid to overwrite your parity disk with new data not including disk 5. Did you check that the contents of disk 5 were available as a virtual drive before you started the rebuild to the new drive?

I think what you're doing is either re-calculating parity, or clearing the new disk #5 now => either of those is going to result in the loss of everything that was on disk #5, and it sounds like you've also lost the data from the original disk #12.

It's apparently too late now;  but anytime you have TWO failed/failing disks, the FIRST thing you should do is copy any data you can from the failed disks to your backups BEFORE you try anything else.

Actually i had a failed disk (that didn't allow the trust procedure) and another one in upgrading state...i thought that reinserting the original disk in the new config it was like to have only the failing disk to be replaced

Rebuilding  (and expansion) of disk #5 is still performing without errors...now is about 60%....when finished it will be better to perform a parity check to see if  everything's fine (i hope) before starting New Permissions???

Thanks

Rebuilding  (and expansion) of disk #5 is still performing without errors...now is about 60%....when finished it will be better to perform a parity check to see if  everything's fine (i hope) before starting New Permissions???

Thanks

use the non-correcting check, just so you do not clobber parity if something is not as expected.

Archived