SY-PEX4003 PCI-E SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card $4.99 AR - Newegg

• 4 weeks later...

There was a second round sale on these with another $10 rebate (final for second sale was $9.99 vs. $4.99 for the first sale).  The first one I got was fine, though the second one I received today had one of the ports bad on it.  Just a heads up, may want to test the card out before throwing it on the shelf for future use.

• 3 weeks later...

So, out of curiosity, is the PEX-4003 plug-n-play, or is there some configuration that has to take place? I need to add a SATA controller, for literally 1 drive, but would prefer to not have a huge config hurdle ahead of me....

Thanks in advance.

TRP

You should be able to just pop the card in a 1x slot, hook a drive up to it and be on your way.

So, out of curiosity, is the PEX-4003 plug-n-play, or is there some configuration that has to take place? I need to add a SATA controller, for literally 1 drive, but would prefer to not have a huge config hurdle ahead of me....

Thanks in advance.

TRP

You should be able to just pop the card in a 1x slot, hook a drive up to it and be on your way.

Correct.  I run two of the PEX-40039 cards now and they are literally plug and play.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy fourth of July!

I'm having an issue with this card. When I power up with the new card, and a drive attached, unRAID Does not recognize all my drives. In fact it cannot find two of them. As isoon as I power down, remove the drive from the new  card and power up, everything is right with the world. It finds my configuration and all associated drives.

Any ideas?

Happy fourth of July!

I'm having an issue with this card. When I power up with the new card, and a drive attached, unRAID Does not recognize all my drives. In fact it cannot find two of them. As isoon as I power down, remove the drive from the new  card and power up, everything is right with the world. It finds my configuration and all associated drives.

Any ideas?

Post a syslog.

All right, evidently I have to eat crow here. So, while the system now recognizes all attached drives, it will not start with the new drive (Drive 5). The only way to start it is to set Disk 5 as no device effectively nullifing the upgrade I did.

Any thoughts?

I have attached 2 syslogs. Syslog1.txt is everything from powerup to just before I attempt to start SMB with all disks in their proper configuration. Syslog 2.txt is everything up to and after the attempt to start SMB which displays no visible errors on //server/main.

Drive WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WCAZAL866338 (sdf) 1953514584 is the new drive i am attempting to add to the array. Everytime I select "Yes" to clear the drive and start the array, Atarting samba briefly displays at the bottom of the screen, and then the screen refreshes and the array is stopped and staring at the exact same screen as before.

Thank you for your help.

Syslogs_1_and_2.zip

If you have not pre_cleared the drive before adding it to the array, it will take some time for the GUI to prepare the drive and add it.  It will look like things are not working for a bit (few minutes) and then it will update.  If that does not work, then I suggest posting in the general support forum with the syslogs to get more eyes on the problem.

Historically, I have not pre-cleared my drives and have never had issues. At the behest of others, I intended to, and came to realize that since I upgraded form 5b14 to 5rc15a I have lost telnet capabilities. I upgraded last night to 5rc15b hoping that would fix the issue, but so far I still don't have access to telnet, and since my server is headless, until I clear up this issue, I'm at an impasse...

Whoa is me!

Outside, of on the server directly, and via telnet, are there any other methods to pre-clea? Perhaps an unmenu script or plugin?

Outside, of on the server directly, and via telnet, are there any other methods to pre-clea? Perhaps an unmenu script or plugin?

Screen (an UnMenu package) should do the trick.  It's actually better than using Telnet, as you can close the screen window and later re-open it to see the progress ... with Telnet the session has to remain open for the entire pre-clear or it will abort.

Thanks gary. After a clean re-install of 5rc15b i now have telnet back so i started the preclear and wow does that take a while... ill poat back after preclear to update on the original priblem of adding the drive to the array

Yes, it can easily take a full day for a 2TB drive ... and that's just for one cycle !!

Do post back as soon as it's done and you've added it to the array.  Assuming it adds with no problem, this is an indication that the issue is still not resolved ==> and if that's the case LimeTech needs to know that  :)