Foxconn 946GZ7MA-8KS2H - Success

Picked this up for $38 in January (yes, that's how long it's taken me to get around to working on this project).  It's inexpensive LGA775 and has on-board everything (including Marvell Gigabit Ethernet) and four SATA ports.  Along with a $13 Celeron 420 I've got a great little platform.

I used a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1 GB, after getting rid of U3 stuff.

Reliable USB Flash Drive booting:

1. Under Integrated Peripherals, set USB Device Setting to USB-HDD (seemed more reliable than Auto).

2. Save Settings and reboot after step 1, so that USB drive will appear in hard drive list.

3. Adjust Hard Drive boot order so that your USB-HDD is listed first.

4. Use 'makebootfat' method (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2407.0) to set up flash drive.  Nothing else worked for me.  I used the USB-HDD version of script.

5. If 'makebootfat' scripts always fail complaining about two many flash drives, you likely have an in-built memory card reader that wants disabling... just use the "safely remove hardware" icon to remove it (probably has a bunch of drive letters associated with it) before running the script.