XBMC Standalone Library Updater for UnRAID

Maybe the gotham users would know the answer to this since i haven't messed with gotham and only have 1 xbmc machine. how does the library sharing in gotham work? from what i understand, it will just broadcast library changes across the network. is that right? what if there is one xbmc that is up to date and another starts up and is not up to date? does that one broadcast a request to get updated from the other?

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand it can't find the directory, I deleted the item. The point is, it sees the missing items, but doesn't find any NEW items.

I've found the only way to get new movies into the DB is by doing a library update via the XBMC GUI itself.  TV Shows can be updated via API calls from SB or clicking the xbmc salud buttons on the webgui

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

How does xbmc salud handle the thumbnail syncing among different xbmc machines?  Does it have a provision to centralize thumbnails?

Correct me if I'm wrong, mysql allows the saving of episode details, synopsis, etc, watched status, where last stopped, but doesn't keep thumbnails, fan art, posters.  Therefore, though salud gets all these info into mysql, when you turn on individual xbmc machines, it still doesn't have all the fan art, posters, etc?

Many thanks for the work put into the plugin, its really fantastic  :)

Managed to get this going last night. Had a number of issues, so will post em all, and my solutions - hopefully will help others

I was migrating from Unraid 4.7 to 5.0.5, so going through updating all my applications (unmenu, transmission, mysql, sickbeard etc). Once I got all them going, I wanted salud (one of my drivers to moving off 4.7..!)

So installed as normal (didnt use 'Control Panel' iirc), copied over advancedsettings.xml & sources.xml from working xbmc instance etc

Problem 1, mysql database not detected.

Unmenu appears to install an unsupported version. Thankfully this is pretty straightforward to resolve.

Stopped mysql and disabled installation from unmenu

Renamed my MySql data directory (mv /mnt/cache/custom/mysql /mnt/cache/custom/mysql.bak)

Installed the version of MySql the 'Control Panel' plugin provides

Started it up, with its data directory pointed at /mnt/cache/custom/mysql

Once up, running and stable, stopped mysql again

Deleted the data dir it created, and renamed my original data dir back (suggest taking a copy, just in case)

Make sure its permissions are set as mysql:users (tbc, from memory)

MySQL started at this point with no apparent problem. Had a look though the error log, and it suggested running 'mysql_upgrade'

So I stopped mysql, and did that. Started again, and log looked clean.

I believe I had to recreate the xbmc user (create user 'xbmc' identifed by 'xbmc'; & grant all on *.* to 'xbmc')

Problem 2, salud not actually starting

I had installed the xbmcsalud plugin, and pointed its data directory at /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud - a directory I created.

Hit start, and the page says 'running'.

However, a 'ps -ef | grep xbmc' came back with nothing.. page didnt appear to be telling the truth..!

I also found the new data dir I created was also empty

Managed to fix this in the end via some combination of hitting 'Apply' on the plugin page, and manually running the xbmcsalud command ('xbmc-server.bin --no-test --headless -n -p')

This created stuff in the data dir, and it seemed to keep running then.

I reckon there were permissions issues on the new datadir (its owner was root perhaps)

Problem 3, SickBeard notification test failed

Turns out the XBMC webserver wasnt running - if you click on 'RUNNING' on the salud plugin page, it should open the webserver page. Nothing there for me

This came down to the guisettings.xml in the datadir having <webserver>false</webserver> for some reason

Found this odd, as all the other settings were there ok (username: xbmc & password: salud etc)

Changed it to <webserver>true</webserver>

Restart via plugin page, and the webserver started, and SickBeard notifications worked

Problem 4, library not getting updated

Trickiest one..! Ok, so couple of things with this, and solution in the end was very straight forward.

XBMC log shows video update took 0.0 seconds

No warnings about my sources.xml not found etc, and advancedsettings.xml appeared to open fine

Funnily enough, I found the music library was updating ok. Clean library also worked against both video and music libraries, so didnt appear to be SQL permissions issue.

Fast forward 2 days of searching, testing etc, and what worked for me was:

Stopped salud

Rename my data directory /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud to /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud.bak

Copy the entire xbmc directory from /usr/local/lib/xbmc to /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud

Change ownership to nobody:users (chown -R nobody:users /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud)

Start salud

And surprise surprise, this kicked it all off.

Looking back at it all, I think problems 2, 3, and 4 all seemed related to the datadir not being populated correctly, potentially due to me originally creating it as root (?). fwiw comparing my original datadir, to the one copied (and working), its got a lot more stuff in it

Anyway, any questions on the above let me know. There _may_ be some errors, as going from memory, and writing this away from my server

Just on the subject of thumbnails and Frodo

Each client has a local cache of thumbnails, only the mysql database now lets these caches stay in sync. Im not entirely sure how it does this - I presume it has web link against each episode or some such?

With the advent of this, the use of path substitution to keep a central cache of thumbnails is no longer supported (thats not to say it wont work, but most likely wont get any help from team xbmc if you experience problems)

Just on the subject of thumbnails and Frodo

Each client has a local cache of thumbnails, only the mysql database now lets these caches stay in sync. Im not entirely sure how it does this - I presume it has web link against each episode or some such?

With the advent of this, the use of path substitution to keep a central cache of thumbnails is no longer supported (thats not to say it wont work, but most likely wont get any help from team xbmc if you experience problems)

I'm pretty sure it is just a weblink. Thanks for the write up of issues and solutions you had. I linked the OP to it and I think it will go a long way.

So this means that when I turn on my htpc after a week of downloading, my htpc has to download all the thumbnails first before it can show them?

I thought one of the reasons for using Salud or a headless xbmc is that my library is ready when I start my htpc?!

I wont go into details as it is somewhat convoluted but in essence this is all correct.

The best way to deal with this is by installing a simple proxy server along side the sql box and using it solely for XBMC. I recommend Polipo set with a large slow to expire cache.

The net effect will be superior to all the previous path sub solutions convoluted work arounds.

If you MUST use central art you should have one art store per XBMC instance (which IMHO is only of benefit for people with XBMC boxes with tiny disks).

Kal, your webserver was set to false? I had someone tell me that before but since they were the only one I kind of wrote it of as them changing it and not remembering or something. It is set to true by default and there is nothing in the code of the plugin that changes it. Odd...

Kal, your webserver was set to false? I had someone tell me that before but since they were the only one I kind of wrote it of as them changing it and not remembering or something. It is set to true by default and there is nothing in the code of the plugin that changes it. Odd...

It being set to false was also a problem for me.

while the empty datadir issue is repeatable for me, I couldnt get a bad guisettings.xml created - not sure how it came about..! thought I tried everything

to get the empty datadir (& false 'running' status);

(note this was done with a previous working xbmsalud, so first few lines uninstalls/deconfigures)

renamed following two directories

/boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud

/mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud

restart server

cp advancedsettings.xml & sources.xml into /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud

mkdir /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud

*note permissions on this new folder are root:root

in plugin settings webpage, change data directory to /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud

hit 'apply'

this changes status to 'running' but ps -ef | grep xbmc comes back with nothing

no contents in the /mnt/cache/custom/xbmcsalud directory

hope this helps

As far as the webserver being set to false, that is very strange. It must be a bug in XBMC itself. That's the only explanation I can think of. I double checked and there is only one guisettings.xml file in the plugin and the file is not copied over like advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml is so there is no way it could accidentally be overwritten. There is also nothing in the code of the plugin that changes this setting. The only explanation I can think of is a bug in XBMC is somehow changing this setting. Glad to get that one figured out as it has stumped me for a while. I never thought to check the webserver setting because of the reasons previously mentioned.

Just an update. I have been working on a Gotham build now that it is final. As it stands Gotham will compile on Slackware 14.1 but results in a segmentation fault upon running. This also happens on the latest Ubuntu apparently. I'll keep my eyes open for a fix. I'd like to get a Gotham version out eventually but it will only be for the 6.0 series.

• 4 weeks later...

Issue installing xbmcsalud.  First ran into same issue installing "control panel"  there seems to be an issue with github.  please see below:

success

file /boot/packages/xbmcSaLUd-0.8-i486-1.txz: already exists

upgradepkg --install-new /boot/packages/xbmcSaLUd-0.8-i486-1.txz ...

+==============================================================================

| Skipping package xbmcSaLUd-0.8-i486-1 (already installed)

+==============================================================================

success

file /boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud/XBMC-SaLUd.png: downloading from --no-check-certificate https://raw.github.com/bobbintb/unRAID/master/XBMC-SaLUd.png ... WARNING: cannot verify raw.github.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert High Assurance CA-3':

Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.

WARNING: certificate common name `www.github.com' doesn't match requested host name `raw.github.com'.

WARNING: cannot verify raw.githubusercontent.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert High Assurance CA-3':

WARNING: certificate common name `www.github.com' doesn't match requested host name `raw.githubusercontent.com'.

2014-06-28 09:47:25 URL:https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bobbintb/unRAID/master/XBMC-SaLUd.png [8552/8552] -> "/boot/config/plugins/xbmcsalud/XBMC-SaLUd.png" [1]

success

file /boot/config/plugins/images/device_status.png: downloading from --no-check-certificate https://github.com/downloads/Influencer/UNplugged/device_status.png ... WARNING: cannot verify github.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 Extended Validation Server CA':

OpenSSL: error:14077410:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:sslv3 alert handshake failure

Unable to establish SSL connection.

bad download, deleting

Something changed at github that is breaking these installs...