ESXi 5.1 passthrough question

peter_sm

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's any ide to passthrough  the Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller

To be used as a graphics card, I do not have any PCIe card in my sever, would this then boost the performance on my Windows 8 VM machine ? see attached image link.

I did activated som of other hardware, but after that the ESXI server stopped booting, then I needed yo go back to a previous working state, using SHIFT +R

So now I'm back again with all patches installed  8) shall some of the non passthrough hardware be enabled?

//Peter

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46562247/2013-05-23%2018_13_58-Mark%20devices%20for%20passthrough.png

As I understand it:

It really isn't possible to pass through built in GPUs because the CPUs are not built to allow this.  They integrate with other components on the CPU that are not setup to pass through and it fails - but that is going from memory of a post elsewhere (maybe not here on limetech forums) that I read.

I aggree with BobPhenix on this.

The IGP is not behind a PCI/PCIe bridge...the action will fail.

AFAIK this will only work with ATI Radeon cads so far....NVIDIA simply will fail as well.

If you want to try, there are PCIe x1 wide GPU cards available, hat would fit into a server mobo (which might not have a real x16 slot for that.

I passed trough the little matrox G200 of my X8SIL-F once...it did work and the Win7 VM would allow me to install drivers...however, the performance of that little bugger is poorer than the emulated GPU from vmware-tools.  ;D

Archived