Upcoming Supermicro Motherboards

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been running unraid 5 rc10 on an old machine, primarily streaming to Tivos and raspberryPIs.  I have been looking to upgrade to a purpose built machine and virtualizing unraid, my torrent machine and my WHS box, as well as running test machines.  I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a X9SCM-iiF, but newegg has been out of stock.  I did some looking and found this page - http://supermicrotalk.com/index.php?topic=99.0, and the X10SL7-F looks pretty exciting with 12 on board sata drives in a server motherboard.  I know the board is not yet released, but anyone have any issues off the bat with waiting for this board for my next build?

Thanks!

Have to agree with garycase. On board SATA are mostly useless in an ESXi set up. I also prefer the four 8x PCIe slots of the X9SCM over the two 8x and one 16x of the X10SLM, which would be the equivalent in this series. The only card that can really take advantage of that 16x slot right now is the RocketRAID 2760A, and at $620 bucks I don't see a lot of takers for that card in our segment of the market.

X10SL7-F probably has an LSI on board controller for the 8 blue connectors and that would be passable in ESXi.  The two white connectors are probably SataIII connectors and the 4 black are probably SataII connectors and all probably use South Bridge so would only be usable as Datastore drives.

It would be ideal if there would be two SATA controllers on the board where you could send one to esxi and use the others for esxi itself...

Interesting idea ... but given the propensity of UnRAID users to always want MORE SATA ports, I think just plenty of PCIe x8 slots would be a better choice  :)