Plus License - has it always been for 7 drives or was that a recent change?

Hi just a quick question:

I thought I had a 6 drive licence, but when I rebooted recently after upgrading to 5.0-rc13 I saw one drive come up as unassigned. First I thought something went wrong, but then I check the other array discs (6x3TB) and cache (2TB), I realized that the unassigned was really just that.

Don't remember having one that was unassigned before but maybe I am wrong. could someone clarify please?

Thanks - AO

I thought I had a 6 drive licence, but when I rebooted recently after upgrading to 5.0-rc13 I saw one drive come up as unassigned. First I thought something went wrong, but then I check the other array discs (6x3TB) and cache (2TB), I realized that the unassigned was really just that.

Don't remember having one that was unassigned before but maybe I am wrong. could someone clarify please?

Thanks - AO

It was changed to 7 drives for v5 ==> I thought Tom was doing this for final, but apparently it was changed with the last RC.

Thanks - AO

It was changed to 7 drives for v5 ==> I thought Tom was doing this for final, but apparently it was changed with the last RC.

Appreciate the quick response. Thank You! That is good information to know, so great now I can have a 18 TB server - awesome! 8)

Keep in mind that extra drive was a glitch in his release meant for something else. When the next release comes out that drive most likely will not be usable. It was meant for pooling. I just don't want anybody to think "Yahoo free drive and be discouraged later when they realize their data more than likely will not be accessible.

I do not speak for Tom or Limetech on this, but it has been brought up before in the release thread.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27720.msg244893#msg244893

Right, the feature of turning the "cache drive" to a "cache pool" was in the code and then removed at the last minute for the -rc13 release.  Once this feature is enabled, the keys change like this:

Old (pre -rc13):

Basic - 3 array drives, no cache drive

Plus - 6 array drives, cache drive enabled (7 total drives)

Pro - 24 array drives, cache drive enabled (25 total drives)

Now (in -rc13 only):

Basic - 3 array drives, cache drive enabled (4 total drives)

Plus - 7 array drives, cache drive enabled (8 total drives)

Pro - 24 array drives, cache drive enabled (25 total drives)

When cache pool feature enabled:

Basic - 4 total drives

Plus - 8 total drives

<?> - 14 or 16 total drives (not committed to this)

Pro - 25+ total drives (the + is for the future)

I wanted to put it back to 3/7/25 but TomH convinced me that 4/8/25 could lead to better "karma" in the Community.

Keep in mind that extra drive was a glitch in his release meant for something else. When the next release comes out that drive most likely will not be usable. It was meant for pooling. I just don't want anybody to think "Yahoo free drive and be discouraged later when they realize their data more than likely will not be accessible.

I do not speak for Tom or Limetech on this, but it has been brought up before in the release thread.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27720.msg244893#msg244893

Actually Tom has previously committed to a total of 7 drives with NO restrictions on how they're assigned:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27316.msg240009#msg240009

maybe stupid question but what is "cache pool"

I am using basic(free) setup now with 5.0beta13

2Data 1parity

palning to go with RC13

does it mean some later realease will have 3Data 1 parity?

or still 2Data - 1parity + 1 cache

I do not use cache disk (seams don't have any need for it. all my writes I seam fast  for me)

but sure can use an extra data disk in the future.

although it's all moot point for me at this time , as I am thinking in getting a plus license anyhow. in maybe 6-8 month.

my new server have 3 SAT2-MV8 Raid cards  and if  can pass through them to my unraid VM

I would just do 2 UnRaid VM with a plus licensee each  :-)

Dear all,

I would like to said: total 8 driver for plus license is very very good, when we have hard disk control card with 8port sata and only 7port using

This my concern from long time and many thank when it office announcement.

I agree with you,  but I would really  like an option to use the cache slot for data drive.

as  I understand right now it is total 8 drive in config lie 6-Data+1-Parity+1-cache

so if you do not use cache drive (us I do not use it at all) it still 7 total drive and one waisted slot.

Or I do not understand the whole license schema here?

Last month Tom said v5 final would support 3 drives for basic, 7 drives for Plus, and there would be no other restrictions.  See here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27316.msg240009#msg240009

In his post above, he's expanded the numbers, and now indicated that final will support:

Basic - 4 total drives

Plus - 8 total drives

=> I assume this is as he stated before ... i.e. no other constraints.  If that's the case (perhaps Tom will post and confirm), then you could indeed have 7 data drives plus parity with a Plus system.  [and even more if he expands the plus limit to 14 or 16 -- as he indicated he may]

Tom:  FWIW, while I'd love to see the expanded limit, I don't think it's good for your business to expand Plus to that level ... it would likely dramatically reduce your Pro key sales. 

Last month Tom said v5 final would support 3 drives for basic, 7 drives for Plus, and there would be no other restrictions.  See here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27316.msg240009#msg240009

In his post above, he's expanded the numbers, and now indicated that final will support:

Basic - 4 total drives

Plus - 8 total drives

=> I assume this is as he stated before ... i.e. no other constraints.  If that's the case (perhaps Tom will post and confirm), then you could indeed have 7 data drives plus parity with a Plus system.  [and even more if he expands the plus limit to 14 or 16 -- as he indicated he may]

Tom:  FWIW, while I'd love to see the expanded limit, I don't think it's good for your business to expand Plus to that level ... it would likely dramatically reduce your Pro key sales.

I doubt that it would affect the pro sales much as most of the people here seams to striving for 20+  drive setups :-)

but it does look like the new schema can actually work in Toms favor.

especially if he structure it like this since it seams like that is what the future intentions are:

he can even borrow  the naming schema I came up with :-D

it's up to Tom to set the pricing I just in-vision the structure levels

Free  Basic 4 total

plus price respectfully

$X - Basic+ 8 total

$XX - plus 16 total

pro price

$XXX - pro 32+

I did not take it as expanding "Plus" to 16 drives but rather as inserting another level in between Plus and Pro, which I think is a great idea.  When I was purchasing my license I had a 5 drive array so settled on the Plus license - I could not justify the extra $50 to move up to Pro as I can't see my array getting that large.  If there had been a step in between Plus and Pro then I would have gone for that.

Here's how I think the pricing would work best:

Basic - 4 total drives (Free)

Plus - 8 total drives ($69)

<?> - 14 or 16 total drives ($99)

Pro - 25+ total drives ($119)

By keeping the new license level under the $100 mark I think you would see the bulk of buyers who currently buy Plus going to that new level.

I did not take it as expanding "Plus" to 16 drives but rather as inserting another level in between Plus and Pro, which I think is a great idea.  When I was purchasing my license I had a 5 drive array so settled on the Plus license - I could not justify the extra $50 to move up to Pro as I can't see my array getting that large.  If there had been a step in between Plus and Pro then I would have gone for that.

Here's how I think the pricing would work best:

Basic - 4 total drives (Free)

Plus - 8 total drives ($69)

<?> - 14 or 16 total drives ($99)

Pro - 25+ total drives ($119)

By keeping the new license level under the $100 mark I think you would see the bulk of buyers who currently buy Plus going to that new level.

Looking at it again, I think you're exactly right ==> the "<?>" is referring to an un-named as of yet level.    And I think your pricing would be perfect. 

The levels make a lot of sense too: 

Basic provides enough drives to really test the configuration - a couple data drives, parity, and cache;

Plus would generally let you use all the ports on a motherboard; 

the "unnamed" level would let you use the motherboard ports plus one 8-port card; 

and Pro would let you use as many drives as Tom decides to allow  :)

i propose a contest for naming <?> and the winner gets a free upgrade!! Possibly a great time to start a new naming convention.

I'll get started. :D

Basic 4

Plus 8

Plus 16

Pro 25

Beginner

Basic

Plus

Pro

Basic

Express

Plus

Pro

Basic

Plus

Pro

Extreme

UNRAID 4

UNRAID 8

UNRAID 16

UNRAID 25

LITE

BASIC

PLUS

PRO

I think that Premium makes sense as the name for the <?> edition.

To give Basic, Plus, Premium and Pro

I could really care less how Tom chooses to name the intermediate license he mentioned -- but I DO like this set of choices, as it leaves everything else the same as it already is  :)

I think that Premium makes sense as the name for the <?> edition.

To give Basic, Plus, Premium and Pro

I could really care less how Tom chooses to name the intermediate license he mentioned -- but I DO like this set of choices, as it leaves everything else the same as it already is  :)

So that means the level after pro is... super unleaded!!!  ;D

or PRO/X because everything with an /X is better.

Kings/X, Symphony/X, OS/X...

as far as naming the intermediate, I like 'premium'. Heck even 'intermediate' is a good one.

• 3 weeks later...