Any quality IDE cable recommendations?

sonofdbn

I've followed various threads where it's been recommended that we avoid round IDE cables and use "quality" flat IDE cables. I don't even know any brands of IDE cables - can anyone recommend a specific IDE cable which is of good quality?

And if I might go slightly OT on my own topic  :P, does anyone know where I can get SHORT cables - like two inches to the first connector and another two to the next one? In my case the mobo onboard IDE connectors are right next to where some of the drives are.

I posted this picture of the CoolerMaster tower fully populated by Tom when I purchased my unRaid server from him about a year ago.

I was very impressed with the cabling he did.  I've seen computers with only one or two drives look FAR more cluttered.

Note how he folded the cables to make them fit exactly from the controller cards to the drives.  It might give you an idea or two on how to route your own cables.

Joe L.

ekqqzm.jpg

You may be using a different motherboard and case, but for the motherboard he originally recommended, and the CoolerMaster Stacker case, he provided these instructions on this post on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6341400&post6341400

He said you would need 4 18" cables and 2 24" cables.

Joe L.

Install the Promise controllers (it doesn't matter which two of the three slots you use) and attach all data cables. Start with M/B Primary to top 2 slots (the end connector to the topmost slot). M/B Secondary to next 2. "IDE1" of PCI controller closest to CPU is next. Then "IDE2" of same controller. Then "IDE1" of controller farthest from CPU; finally, "IDE2 of that one. You will need 4 18" cables and 2 24" cables. The longer cables are necessary for the two "IDE2" connectors to reach their proper mobile racks. Take some time with the cables, by folding them properly you can achieve a very streamlined look.