Easiest way to stream movies to my TV?

rdnkjdi

I currently have about 500GB of my movies on an external hard drive.  I burned all DVD's to ISO images.  I can watch the movies with VLC media player.

I am currently contemplating building a media pc to hook up to my TV.  But, does anybody know of a simple, cheap way of getting my movies to my TV without another computer?

I use an Altech MG-35 media player... in fact, we have two, one in the bedroom, and one in the den.  Current model would be an MG-45.

No need to even get one with an internal hard-disk, it will work with media on the LAN just fine.   

About the size of large hard-cover book, and completely silent if no disk is installed.

Works perfectly with DVD ISO images, even handles menus, alt audio tracks, etc. Will NOT do h.264... but will do MP3, xvid, avi, & mpg.

Joe L.

Edit: usually, you can get these for a bit over $100. on ebay 

Some people use media extenders, but I don't know much about those.

Is your PC very far from your TV?  Try connecting your PC to your TV to use it as a 'monitor'.

Or, you can build a dedicated HTPC for your TV for around $500 and play those movies from your unRaid server via Gigabit LAN.

AVS Forums have lots of info on HTPCs:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26/&styleid=18

I use an old xbox running xbmc.  It has a great interface (you can use lots of different skins), and can play just about anything thrown at it.  It doesn't do HD (needs to be confimed what formats as I don't have HD stuff), but does an amazing job of upscaling standard res DVD's to 720p.  The library mode is fantastic.  It's cheap, quite, fast to boot and runs with a remote (option) if needed.  Xbmc software is available for linux and Windoze as well for an HTPC.