unRAID Server release 3.0 "final" available

limetech

unRAID Server OS version 3.0 is now available for download.  Once again, many thanks to beta testers who worked patiently with us to iron out bugs.

Here is the change log:

Changes from 3.0-beta5 to 3.0 (final)
-------------------------------------

Improvement: can now use USB keyboard

Improvement: added rsync executable

Improvement: upgrade Intel PRO/1000 driver to version 7.2.7-NAPI

Bug Fix: fixed problem where quickly browsing the Management Utility could
cause it to "lock up".

Changes from 3.0-beta4 to 3.0-beta5
-----------------------------------

Improvement: unRAID driver change to improve interrupt handling.

Changes from 3.0-beta3 to 3.0-beta4

Improvement: messages previously sent only to console are now sent to syslog.

Improvement: Management Utilty Settings page:
- changed wording of "Master browser" to "Local master" to agree with
corresponding Samba config variable.
- added "Smb ports" setting to permit Samba to answer to ports 445 and 139,
or just 139.  Setting this to just port 139 may solve problem of syslog
filling up with superfluous "connection reset by peer" messages.

Bug fix: Managament Utility Devices page:
- if device is missing, also display device assignment string

Changes from 3.0-beta2 to 3.0-beta3

Improvement: added support for the following SATA chipsets:
- nvidia
- via
- sis
- vitesse

Changes from 3.0-beta1 to 3.0-beta2

Improvement: increased both Read and Write performance.  Give read streams
priority over write streams.

Improvement: added support for Realtek GigE and Broadcom GigE.

Improvement: added "Flash vendor" and "Flash Model" to Devices page.

Improvement: simplify hard drive assigment.

Bug Fix: prevent superfluous logging messages from filling up syslog.

Bug Fix: fix intermittant problem where configuration data in
config/super.dat could get trashed if user types 'poweroff' from a telnet
window.

Bug Fix: fixed problem where sometimes SATA drivers wouldn't get loaded
automatically.

Bug Fix: fixed problem where sometimes system would think drives are
spun-down, when actually they are spun-up.

I don't seem to be able to find any mention of User Shares on the website except on the home page and in the forum. This is such a useful feature: it should really have some "proper" documentation on the website.

I raise this point partly because the changelog only lists the beta changes from 3.xx onwards. I believe User Shares were one big feature of the change from the last 2.xx release to 3.xx betas. If someone is using the previous official release and then looks at the changelogs here, they'd never realise that User Shares had been introduced.

I'm still running the original 1.0something version and would like to upgrade to 3.0.  How do I upgrade?  I've looked all over the site and just can not find the instructions.

Best way is to first get yourself a Lexar Firefly or SanDisk Cruzer Micro flash device, 256MB or 512MB is fine.  Follow directions here to download latest unRAID Server s/w, install on flash and make bootable.  Then read here to get your registration key.

Ok, got it.  I happen to have a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 1 GB drive that I can use.  Per your instructions on requesting a new key, I assume you need the drive serial number, etc.  Since I don't have a monitor or KB attached to my server, is there a way to get the info you need from the Flash Drive using XP?  Otherwise, I will connect a monitor and KB to the server when I get time.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've just sent my new flash info to you Tom but in reading forward in the instructions:

Step 2 Download the syslinux tool to a simple directory, for example, c:\, and then run it by clicking on Start/Run. In the dialog box enter:

c:\syslinux.exe f:

(Instead of c:\ use whatever directory you downloaded syslinux to, and instead of f: use whatever drive letter Windows mounted your Flash on).

The syslinx tool will create a hidden file named ldlinux.sys on the Flash and make it bootable. The complete distribution of syslinux is available here.

I don't have access to a PC (I'm running Mac OS X).  Is there an alternative way to do this?

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You can plug the new flash into your running unRAID server and then open a telnet window.  You can then type the command:

cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-1/1

Select/copy/paste the output and email to me.

Pardon me for not being computer literate but I need more help in upgrading.

1. I plug my new flash drive into my running Unraid server without removing the old flash, correct?

2. I'm not familiar with Telnet. Can I open a telnet window on a windows running remote computer that is connected to my server? Do I attach a keyboard and monitor to the server and open a Telnet window?

3. How do I open a Telnet window?

Pardon me for not being computer literate but I need more help in upgrading.

1. I plug my new flash drive into my running Unraid server without removing the old flash, correct?

Correct.

2. I'm not familiar with Telnet. Can I open a telnet window on a windows running remote computer that is connected to my server?

Yes.

Assuming you did not change your server's name to something other than "tower" try this.  If you did change the name, then substitute your name for the word "tower" in the instructions below.

On a windows machine,  Click on the "start" button, then on the "Run" that appears just above it. A window will appear with a field on it.

In the field in that window type:

telnet tower

You will get a "Login" prompt.  Type "root"  (without the quote marks) and press enter.

At this point you will be able to type the command you originally listed. 

cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-1/1

Do I attach a keyboard and monitor to the server and open a Telnet window?

No... But at a keyboard you can also get a "Login" prompt, type "root" and proceed as if you had used telnet to get to a unix prompt.

3. How do I open a Telnet window?

described above....

Wow, thanks for the help. It worked perfectly (except I'm not sure how to copy and paste from the telnet command window). I appreciate the help.

Joe M.

To copy from the telnet window: hold the left-hand-mouse button  down and drag the mouse pointer to "highlight" the text you wish to copy. Once it is highlighted, release the left hand mouse button and then press the right hand mouse button (once) to copy the highlighted text to the clipboard. 

Then, simply paste as usual in your email to Tom.

Joe L.