New user - need a motherboard to get started

Can someone recommend a motherboard for me?  I already have a Celeron 430, so Id like to be able to use it.

Ive looked at the motherboards on the hardware compatibility chart and it seems that most of them are discontinued.  I would like at least 6 SATA ports and gigabit on-board.  On-board VGA would be nice also.

Thanks for helping out a noob!  I just discovered unraid a couple of weeks ago.  I have it running on an old Dell just to play with right now.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I cant find that board from any retailer that Ive heard of.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=DQ45CB&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&cid=1995603064101870096&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=2&ct=result#ps-sellers

I've bought from the follow online retailers with good service.

newegg.com

buy.com

ewiz.com

beachaudio.com

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, I cant find that board from any retailer that Ive heard of.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=DQ45CB&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&cid=1995603064101870096&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=2&ct=result#ps-sellers

newegg.com

buy.com

ewiz.com

beachaudio.com

Thanks!  I tried searching google and none of these came up.  I didnt try Product Search specifically.  HOwever, this board only has 5 SATA ports.  That Asus board would be perfect.

newegg.com

buy.com

ewiz.com

beachaudio.com

Anyone out there know if this Q45 board deactivates the onboard video ports if ANY device is put in the x16 PCI-E slot?  I've read that this happens with some intel chipsets of the G45 variety.  If the onboard video would work with a 4 sata port pci-e x4 card in the x16 slot, and then 2 sata port cards in all the other slots, one could hit 16 drives with only 2 drives on the PCI bus and therefore get better performance than putting 8 drives on the PCI bus.

Well, I'm an incredibly impatient person.  Fry's had an ECS A740GM-M & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ for $80 today.  I bought it and its working great.  I may upgrade in the future, but this will give me a good start (6 SATA, VGA and Gigabit).  For $80, I just couldn't pass it up.

• 5 weeks later...

Adaptec 1430SA 4 port sataII. Is this natively supported in unRaid?

Yes, although you may have to disable something in the bios, others may provide more information.

Is there an 8 port card that is also supported?

I do not know of an adaptec 8 port card that is natively supported in unRAID.

There is a PCI-X/PCI supermicro card that is natively supported in unRAID.

Well, I'm an incredibly impatient person.  Fry's had an ECS A740GM-M & Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5200+ for $80 today.  I bought it and its working great.  I may upgrade in the future, but this will give me a good start (6 SATA, VGA and Gigabit).  For $80, I just couldn't pass it up.

Congrats.  The board with those chipsets are popular choices and work well. Just not real ideal to expand past about 12 drives (there are reasonable PCIe to add to get to 12 drives and maintain good drive access speed) but still a great bargain board. Same board as I'm running and I haven't had trouble with it yet.

Peter

Congrats.  The board with those chipsets are popular choices and work well. Just not real ideal to expand past about 12 drives (there are reasonable PCIe to add to get to 12 drives and maintain good drive access speed) but still a great bargain board. Same board as I'm running and I haven't had trouble with it yet.

Peter

With 1.5TB drives available now, I dont see myself needing more than the 6 on-board SATA ports for quite some time.  Im still playing with it and I havent moved a lot of data over yet.  But, so far, Im happy with unRAID and the config I have.  Like I said, I just couldnt pass it up for the price.