New Server available

limetech

I am interested in the pre-build system but when I do not see an address or a phone number in the site I kind of get nervous in ordering this system!

Many of us have been customers for years.

Lime technology has been an LLC since 2005, If you order via Paypal, you will be protected.

There have been many satisfied customers. Contact the support email on voice your feelings.

My small/mid sized business needs a couple new servers to store many terabytes of video/audio files (we're an online education provider). Our current system of RAID-based file servers aren't cutting it for us - too limited - and enterprise-grade storage that mitigates those limitations comes with many features we don't need and huge price tags. Something like an UnRAID box, which limits exposure to data loss to the actual drives that fail beyond the parity drive, and offers basic file sharing capabilities sounds right up our alley. All our stuff is backed up anyway to our offline storage cloud via Limelight, this is more for local, convenience storage of our files.

We have a small IT department that works for me and overall we're a pretty competent bunch, technically, but as we are a business I had a couple questions regarding the MD-1510:

I'm planning on ordering two, and possibly two more in January if they work well. What kind of support does the hardware come with? I'm not talking about, I need to call someone because I can't figure Samba out, I mean more along the lines of, the PCI-E SATA card died, who do I RMA it to type questions. Is there a hardware warranty in other words? Or is this just literally a case of, it's the same stuff you can buy off Newegg only we'll screw it together for you?

At the current price special of $1199 it's damn near what Newegg prices would be anyway, plus you get 2 copies of Pro, but if I buy the parts direct from Newegg I know I'll be able to RMA them there if they have problems. If I buy from Limetech, what's the story there?

I'll send this in an email too because I really do plan on getting a couple of these today.

The "policies" section of the LT website may have the info you need:

http://lime-technology.com/?page_id=29

I agree, with the $1199 special, it is very close to Newegg pricing.  You would actually pay more in shipping from Newegg for the individual parts than for the whole server from LT.  Plus with a completed server, less chance of DOA parts since he tests for 48hrs.

I made a wish list on Newegg, calculated the shipping, considered my time to build, and ordered from Lime-Tech.  Mine should be here on Jan 3 (according for FedEx). Tom shipped in 1-day.

I have built hundreds of PC's for clients over the years, but considering the aforementioned, it didn't make sense to do so in this case.

Now, just waiting on another Newegg sale on WD "Green" 1TB drives!

I have built hundreds of PC's for clients over the years, but considering the aforementioned, it didn't make sense to do so in this case.

Over three years ago, in October 2005, I made this post on avsforum.com.  This forum did not yet exist.    Interesting in that the same line of thought still applies; yes, you can build it cheaper, if you don't have a better use for your time.  The difference in cost back then was not that significant, and well worth my time saved.

Quoted from a post I made on October 26, 2005 on avsforum.com:

Like most of the others following this thread (on AVS) I am not infinitely wealthy. (Have not seen Bill Gates chime in, besides, he might not opt for a Linux based solution anyway ) On the other hand, my free time is very valuable to me. I enjoy watching the DVDs I have in my collection and when an opportunity presents itself I will spend a few hours and immerse myself in a good movie.

I purchased an assembled server from Tom at LimeTechnology. I did it knowing he was getting paid for his time to assemble it, configure it, test it, package it for shipping, and to get it shipped to me. I even ordered it with a pair of the 500gig drives. (His price on the drives was almost exactly the same as the best price I found on pricewatch.com, so he was not marking them up much, if at all) He even installed the two drives and tested them in the server for 48hrs prior to shipping it to me. (There's 4 hours I saved in formatting and initializing those drives)

I felt his price for the assembled server was not out of line with the materials and effort involved. Yes, I could have sourced the pieces from various vendors, and yes, I have built most of the PCs in my house, so the assembly would not have been too difficult. But it probably would have taken me the better part of a day to put it all together after I spent an hour or two researching and ordering the various piece parts needed.

Now, if I had more free time, or elected to spend my free time assembling the server rather than with my family and friends, or if the difference in cost was a lot greater, then the DIY route would have been my choice too. It is all about choices and Tom has given us those choices.

We can spend our time, or for a bit more money, his time. For me, all I had to do was unpack it and plug it in. I did add several more drives already, a task made very simple because of the drive trays, and will migrate more as I find the time to take apart the other PCs in my home and relocate the drives. For me, the drive trays will make this simple.

In the meantime, my unRaid server has been on my LAN for about a week now, its disks spending most of the time "spun-down." This past week my wife and I have watched several movies, taken some dance lessons, worked on making Halloween costumes, and enjoyed more of our very valuable free time doing things together. That was worth spending a few $$$$ more to me, even though I love to save money too and have done many DIY projects for my home theater. (See my prior post on how I now save nearly $1 per month since my drives go to sleep when idle )

After three years, I am building my second unRAID server... this time it will be SATA based.   I've had the parts for about 2 weeks now, and not had the time to start assembly...  probably should have ordered it pre-assembled... but this time I had most of the parts and only needed a new MB, memory, and CPU... so a slightly different set of conditions existed.

I too need to keep an eye out for deals on disk drives... you are not alone...

Joe L.

I just wanted to say how pleased I am with my Lime-Technology "Winter Special" server.  Really nice build and includes a picture layout of drive / bay assignments.  It was shipped a day after ordering and double boxed.  Shipping cost was reasonable and was at least 1/2 of the cost of just shipping the discreet parts from Newegg.  With the added bonus of the extra Pro key, it did not seem worth my time to build it myself.

This is the first "build" system I have ordered ever (except my Mac G5).  I have built hundreds of PC's, including my first - the Altair 8800 (from a kit).  Anyone here remember that one?

Anyway, great job Lime-Tech.

I just wanted to say how pleased I am with my Lime-Technology "Winter Special" server.  Really nice build and includes a picture layout of drive / bay assignments.  It was shipped a day after ordering and double boxed.  Shipping cost was reasonable and was at least 1/2 of the cost of just shipping the discreet parts from Newegg.  With the added bonus of the extra Pro key, it did not seem worth my time to build it myself.

This is the first "build" system I have ordered ever (except my Mac G5).  I have built hundreds of PC's, including my first - the Altair 8800 (from a kit).  Anyone here remember that one?

Anyway, great job Lime-Tech.

Thank you Bill, your feedback is very much appreciated!

I  recently purchased a Supermicro C2SEE open box special along with a Celeron 1200 from Newegg as described on the new server page. I couldn't get it to boot for anything. I tried different memory, PSU's, resetting the CMOS, everything I could think of. I wrote it off as a bad board, and sent it back for a refund. I ordered a C2SEA as a replacement, and when it failed to boot as well, the only thing in common was the CPU. So I snagged a 6420 from another machine, and it boots fine. Funny thing is, the 1200 works fine in the machine I snagged the Core Duo from. So the big question...

How many of you have had success running a CE1200 in the C2SEE? Is there some trick to it?

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

Are any of these solutions rackmountable?? Anyone know?

Also could I take the drives out of a current lime server and just insert them into this unit and retain the data?

Thanks!

Will leave to someone else to answer the first question.

But you can always move your drives from one unRAID server to another.  As long as the new unRAID server is compatible, and you have enough ports to move ALL of the disks in the array.  Use the working USB key.  You might have to shuffle the disk assignments on the devices page, but with the serial numbers shown on the main page, that is very easy to do.

I think I need to be more specific.

I have an UnRaid sever that is pretty old and I currently have a failure in it.  I believe it is hardware driven.  I have been thinking and pricing out a new system when I looked and saw what Tom has now selling.

I am wondering if I just plug my current drives in there, should then all just boot up and work?

It would be great if it was rac kmountable, but the fact is I could just lay it on it's side on a shelf in the rack also. No biggie