HP N54L HTPC help in Fiji

vino125

Bula (hello in Fijian, pronounced boolah),

I have purchased a new HP N54L microserver along with 2WD 3TB green drives for data, 1WD 3TB red drive for parity, recommended 8Gb ram and graphics card. I will do the Bios-mod and put the included 250GB hard drive in the ODD drive area for the cache drive. I would like to partition the 250 in half, just in case I wanted to add an OS. I just received my unRAID usb stick in the mail and am ready to set up my HTPC only machine.

What software should I download for unRAID to help me when I go to the main island because I have no internet. Am I going to have problems because of that? A quick (if that's possible) step by step would be greatly appreciated.

UnRAID itself uses the internet to keep the time if you have it configured to do so [settings - Data & Time - Use NTP].    Other than that,  I don't believe UnRAID requires ANY internet access.

However, several plug-ins require internet access for a variety of functions.  e.g. UnMenu requires the internet to download initially, and to download updates and any packages you choose to install.

If your UnRAID box is purely going to be a local file server for media, then all you need to download when you have the opportunity to do so is any plugins you want to use.   

I just received my unRAID usb stick in the mail and am ready to set up my HTPC only machine.

What software should I download for unRAID to help me when I go to the main island because I have no internet.

First things first, you will be unable to use the 3TB disks with the version of unraid that is currently on the stick, unless Tom started putting RC software on shipped sticks. So, before you lose access to the internet, I would upgrade to the latest RC and get that running properly on your N54L. Thing is, the latest version of unraid as of my writing this has a rather serious bug that causes data loss if you do not shut the array down properly before cutting power.

If at all possible, I would wait for the release of 5.0, or arrange for the files to be sent to you so you can upgrade ASAP.

There are many different third party add ons for unraid, many of which may be useful to you, but without more info about your intended usage and connected devices, it's impossible to make good recommendations.

Good point about the version #.    I wonder what version Tom IS shipping on pre-configured flash drives these days.    I would certainly hope that if it's v4.7 he's including a BIG note r.e. the need to update it if you have > 2TB drives !!

Just plugged the usb stick into my mac and it contains v4.7. So, now what? I can't start installing until I get the latest RC?

I am not losing access to the internet, I don't have it. I would take a 12hr. ferry to the main island and download whatever is recommended on a spare 16GB usb drive. They claim internet will be here in another year, but I'm not holding my breath. This server is only going to be used for passing movies through to a 46" Samsung TV via HDMI cable from graphics card.

Just plugged the usb stick into my mac and it contains v4.7. So, now what? I can't start installing until I get the latest RC?

That's correct.  There's nothing you can do at this point until you get a v5 release.  When you have the opportunity, you need to download v5RC15a (or newer, if it's released by the time you get the chance to download it)  ... a 35.1MB download that contains the latest release candidate. 

This server is only going to be used for passing movies through to a 46" Samsung TV via HDMI cable from graphics card.

You know you'd need something like an HTPC to connect to your TV, which would stream the video from your unraid server, right? You can't play back video directly from your unraid server.

This server is only going to be used for passing movies through to a 46" Samsung TV via HDMI cable from graphics card.

You know you'd need something like an HTPC to connect to your TV, which would stream the video from your unraid server, right? You can't play back video directly from your unraid server.

I was just getting ready to quote the same thing and point out the same thing.    One other comment:  IF your Samsung is a newer "Smart" model that has built-in media playback; and IF it supports the format you'll be storing your content it;  THEN you can play it directly from the UnRAID server ... but you'll need a network connection -- NOT an HDMI connection -- to do that.

I was just getting ready to quote the same thing and point out the same thing.    One other comment:  IF your Samsung is a newer "Smart" model that has built-in media playback; and IF it supports the format you'll be storing your content it;  THEN you can play it directly from the UnRAID server ... but you'll need a network connection -- NOT an HDMI connection -- to do that.

Good point, in a pinch DLNA would work. The interfaces are generally terrible though so I would get something like a Raspberry Pi and use that with OpenELEC in the future, but until then a DLNA server over your home network should work. If you don't have a home network you are out of luck until you can get a router. A router will work even if you don't have an internet connection.

Off topic but which island in Fiji do you live on? I'd like to read about it/google for some pictures. I love tropical islands.  ;D

I have purchased a new HP N54L microserver along with 2WD 3TB green drives for data, 1WD 3TB red drive for parity, recommended 8Gb ram and graphics card. I will do the Bios-mod and put the included 250GB hard drive in the ODD drive area for the cache drive. I would like to partition the 250 in half, just in case I wanted to add an OS. I just received my unRAID usb stick in the mail and am ready to set up my HTPC only machine.

Just realized that your intent was to make the N54L a dedicated HTPC machine.  If that's the case, then UnRAID was not a good choice for this system UNLESS your Samsung TV supports a Plex client.  See here for a list of compatible Samsung TVs:  http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home

If the TV supports Plex, you can install the Plex add-on for UnRAID and all with be okay.    But don't forget to download Plex for BOTH the TV and UnRAID while you have internet access !!    I also do not know if you can download Plex for the TV at another location, or if the TV itself requires internet access for this.    You may have to do some real re-thinking about just how you're going to set this up.

Is this by means of an SMMB/CIFs share, because DLNA is kinda ugly.

Another option If the Samy-TV is a recent connected device model, is to check if it supports PLEX: http://www.plexapp.com/connected/.

So you'll have to download the plex-app for/with your Sammy and also the plex media server application to install it on unRAID.: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14803.0

Guys, the problem with the actual Plex app for Samsung TVs is that there doesn't appear to be a way to side load the app. You have to download them from the TV app store interface from what I can tell. I doubt he wants to lug a 46 inch TV to another island just for the app. Plex would work if he used the DLNA server and his TV supports it. However, he would still need to go to the other island to get the download of the Plex Media Server. I still think the best option is a buying a Raspberry Pi and an SD card preloaded with OpenELEC. This way he doesn't need an internet connection.

Guys, the problem with the actual Plex app for Samsung TVs is that there doesn't appear to be a way to side load the app. You have to download them from the TV app store interface from what I can tell. I doubt he wants to lug a 46 inch TV to another island just for the app. Plex would work if he used the DLNA server and his TV supports it. However, he would still need to go to the other island to get the download of the Plex Media Server. I still think the best option is a buying a Raspberry Pi and an SD card preloaded with OpenELEC. This way he doesn't need an internet connection.

...did not realize that the TV is already on that isolated place..thought that unRAID box and TV would be moved side by side.

In this case your are right..DLNA is the only choice.

I'd suggest to maybe get prepared to try more that one different package.

What DLNA servers are available as unRAID customizations? mini-dlna, mediatomb, ps3-mediaserver, serviio, .... I don't know.

Edit: ...correct, using a miniHTPC is maybe even better.

Edit2: ...WDTV-Live or similar would work as well.

Yes, the Samsung does support Plex which I thought I could install with a usb stick like I do when upgrading the firmware. Haven't done the research though. Just saw where there is a plex hack for my apple tv which might be the easiest way to go. Although a Raspberry Pi option would be interesting. Thanks for all your input so far, thinking outside of the box is great. By the way, the island is Koro Island.

There may be a way to load them from a USB stick. Samsung's website does not make it obvious if there is a way though. Which Apple TV do you have? Currently the third generation 1080p model is not able to be jailbroken and have the Plex client loaded on it. Only the second generation model. However, take a look at PlexConnect. This will work with any second or third gen AppleTV without a hack to the AppleTV itself besides changing the DNS settings. http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/06/04/introducing-plexconnect-an-appletv-client-which-thinks-different/ You just need to make sure you update your Plex library when you're on the main island because an internet connection would be required to update the library.

Your island looks beautiful by the way. You are lucky! Are you a Fijian native or an expat from somewhere else? My goal in life is to own a home on an island in the Caribbean.

Guys, the problem with the actual Plex app for Samsung TVs is that there doesn't appear to be a way to side load the app.

As I noted earlier, "... I also do not know if you can download Plex for the TV at another location, or if the TV itself requires internet access for this. "  ==>  Unfortunately it seems that it DOES require an internet connection to download the app.

So some other client is needed to play the media.

... or you could install an OS that supports media playback on your N54L  and either run a basic (3-drive) UnRAID in a VM or simply use a software RAID solution and not use UnRAID at all.

Sorry, just got back to a computer today. I believe the best way for my situation is to run Windows 7 Ultimate with a VM using unRAID. Is anybody doing this? How will the boot up work? Really getting complicated now.

I am lucky to be in such a beautiful place, except when trying to do stuff like this. I am originally from South Florida, so the Pacific was brand new to me.

Sorry, just got back to a computer today. I believe the best way for my situation is to run Windows 7 Ultimate with a VM using unRAID. Is anybody doing this? How will the boot up work? Really getting complicated now.

I am lucky to be in such a beautiful place, except when trying to do stuff like this. I am originally from South Florida, so the Pacific was brand new to me.

The CPU in that server does not support hardware passthrough so running a VM is not really going to solve your problem as you would need to pass that video card through to the VM to get the hardware accelerated video playback. What you want to do is really going to require a separate piece of equipment for the video playback and a simple home network. You're not going to be able to do it all from the N54L. I still vote for a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC preloaded on an SD card. This way you can have it mailed in to you and it will not require any internet connection to set it up.

How did you end up there? I'm guessing you're retired? What made you pick that little island in the middle of Fiji in the middle of the south Pacific?

I believe the best way for my situation is to run Windows 7 Ultimate with a VM using unRAID. Is anybody doing this? How will the boot up work? Really getting complicated now.

If you want to just use the N54L, you could forgo UnRAID altogether.  Just install Windows 7, and use the 4-port SATA RAID controller to build a 4-drive RAID-5 for storage within Windows ... with 4TB drives this would give you 12GB of storage.

Just install Windows 7
Keep in mind using Windows 7 with no internet is going to be an ongoing pain. Customization will be required to keep from being hounded about lack of current antivirus and updates.

Personally, I'd go with the thin client (Raspberry Pi or something) with an unraid backend in another room, if only for the noise and power considerations.

Just install Windows 7
Keep in mind using Windows 7 with no internet is going to be an ongoing pain. Customization will be required to keep from being hounded about lack of current antivirus and updates.

Personally, I'd go with the thin client (Raspberry Pi or something) with an unraid backend in another room, if only for the noise and power considerations.

A thin client with the N54L as an UnRAID server will work just fine ... but if you want to go the Windows 7 w/RAID route, it's VERY simple to "shut up" Windows' complaints about anti-virus, updates, etc.    Just open Action Center, click on "Change Action Center Settings", and uncheck any messages you don't want to get [Windows Update, Spyware, Internet Security, Virus Protection, etc.]

OK, it's going to be a Pi with OpenELEC. I really want the advantages that unRAID has to offer. Just need to order and figure out who is coming next so they can bring it to me.

Got here by having a good wife who doesn't need much, sold everything we owned and took a really early retirement. Houses and cost of living really cheap and no property taxes. Just realized you don't need a lot, should live a lot longer too. Strees, don't have it and can't spell it anymore.

Except for this project........

Got here by having a good wife who doesn't need much, sold everything we owned and took a really early retirement. Houses and cost of living really cheap and no property taxes. Just realized you don't need a lot, should live a lot longer too. Strees, don't have it and can't spell it anymore.

Except for this project........

Good choice for a stress-free life.    We're taking a cruise down your way later this year, but probably won't stop off and move there  :)      I do have a question r.e. your lack of internet access ... how are you accessing this forum??

Have you looked in to satellite internet? It looks like HughesNet offers service in American Samoa since it is an American territory. Looking on a map it looks like American Samoa isn't too far from you so it's very possible that the satellite signals would reach you. You'd just have to hop over to American Samoa or have someone there or in the US send you the equipment. My uncle did something similar for his satellite TV and internet service at his vacation home in the Bahamas. He bought the DirecTV equipment here and shipped it to himself down there. It works great even though his home is a few hundred miles from the US.

Archived