Facebook's DIY Storage servers

PsiCzar

How do they keep them cool? :o

You can see the cooling better in this picture. Six rows of two 60mm fans. The fans are mounted on a modular bracket so if a fan dies you pop the bracket out and put a new one in.

L041pga.png

From what I've read, they have entire servers (hundreds/thousands) set up as dedicated memcache servers because they found that SSD wasn't fast enough, I think I read that they transitioned away from SQL to nosql databases because of the severe level of data distribution they need. Photos have presented a special challenge, as most people only look at recent photo albums, but expect all their photos to be "instantly" available even though they never get looked at. Hence Facebook's desire for a "cold storage" technology hard drive (see my other post.)

From what I've read, they have entire servers (hundreds/thousands) set up as dedicated memcache servers because they found that SSD wasn't fast enough, I think I read that they transitioned away from SQL to nosql databases because of the severe level of data distribution they need. Photos have presented a special challenge, as most people only look at recent photo albums, but expect all their photos to be "instantly" available even though they never get looked at. Hence Facebook's desire for a "cold storage" technology hard drive (see my other post.)

You can do something similar with openstack swift.  It's kinda like hadoop without all the metadata object storage stuff.

Archived