NTP date/time is way off

Odd situation with the date/time setting on my 4.3.3 server.  I have NTP turned on, and I have tried several different NTP servers, including pool.ntp.org, 0.pool.ntp.org, and us.pool.ntp.org.  For EST, I have it set to adjust GMT -5.  The problem is, i always get a really screwy date.  Today (December 13, 2008), the main page shows a date of 3/21/2008.

Anyone know what is going on and how I can fix this?

Run this command and post the results:

ntpq -p

Also post the output from the "date" command.

NTP also works much better if you set the date/time on the computer to something reasonable close to correct, and then NTP will refine it to exactly correct.  When the date/time is far off from what NTP thinks it should be, it can have problems.

Run this command and post the results:

ntpq -p

Also post the output from the "date" command.

NTP also works much better if you set the date/time on the computer to something reasonable close to correct, and then NTP will refine it to exactly correct.  When the date/time is far off from what NTP thinks it should be, it can have problems.

#ntpq -p

No Association IDs returned

I was able to set the date manually to today, but then it just reverts back to 21 Mar 2008

Larry

Are you sure your unRAID box can reach the Internet?

Run:

ping pool.ntp.org

Duh!  No, it can't. 

I never thought to check this.  Now, it can see the internet. 

Thanks for the tip.  I feel kinda silly now...

Oh.  So, what's the best way to enable remote access to the unraid box?  I'd rather not keep a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it all the time.....

So, what's the best way to enable remote access to the unraid box?

Telnet.

Unless you install KDE, then you can enable desktop sharing, and use a remote control client with TightVNC.

Thanks again!  That works fine.  I think I need a nap or something.  My brain is slow today...

Odd situation with the date/time setting on my 4.3.3 server.  I have NTP turned on, and I have tried several different NTP servers, including pool.ntp.org, 0.pool.ntp.org, and us.pool.ntp.org.  For EST, I have it set to adjust GMT -5.  The problem is, i always get a really screwy date.  Today (December 13, 2008), the main page shows a date of 3/21/2008.

I know you think you want GMT-5, but you probably want GMT+5 as the offset is from GMT's point of reference.  (I am in the same time-zone) You probably need to set the date/time in your bios.

I think the hardware clock on the motherboard is updated either when you set the time, or stop the array, or shut-down the system (problem is, I don't remember which)

I know you think you want GMT-5, but you probably want GMT+5 as the offset is from GMT's point of reference.   (I am in the same time-zone) You probably need to set the date/time in your bios.

Well, I have the correct time now, and I'm using GMT -5.  Eastern time has always been referenced as GMT -5 (on other systems and software) as far as I can remember.  When it's 12 noon GMT, its 7am here.  Right?  Seems like GMT +5 would be 5PM, not 7AM.

Actually, I just tried GMT +5 and it looks like I got +10.  Date/time shifted to tomorrow (Dec 14 at like 615AM).  Weird.

@kennelm:  How and where are you setting the timezone?

What is the output of your "date" and "date -u" commands?

root@Tower:~# date

Sat Dec 13 22:44:47 GMT+5 2008

root@Tower:~# date -u

Sun Dec 14 03:44:56 UTC 2008

This (GMT+5) contradicts what I see in the tower console (GMT-5) on the settings page.   Anyway, it's got the correct date/time now, so why argue with success?