[CLOSED]unRaid on XenServer 6.2 HELP!!!

I am closing this thread as it is out of date and not needed.

for more info and links to other helpful thread follow the link for my new build in my signature

Thanks!

OK, can some one help me?

I need to setup an unRaid on XenServer 6.2

I am a complete noob in Linux adn a specially in virtualysing like this.

I have the XS installed and running, but I can not build a VM that would  boot unRaid 5rc16(I have the USB all done and setup)

I am currently running 5.0 beta13 on stand alone machine and planning to move all drives onto VM

I tried converting ESXi VMs found in one of the forums here (no go)

same with Oracle Virtualbox VM also found in here. (BTW thanks guys for great efforts and time ).

if anyone here have knowledge and patience to deal with a noob please HELP!

it's is by no means my only issue. I still have to figure out the way to  pass-through my SAS cards into that VM.

but I have to build a working one before moving to the next step.

Just an FYI edit here. The main reason I am running XenServer is because of PCI pass through.

My new build is on supermicro server I got from TAMs and it does not support pass through in ESXi. But I might get it working in xs.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If it's not supported in VMware then I highly doubt Xen will result in any difference.  VT-d is a hardware technology (the one that allows passthrough) and is either present in a motherboard/CPU or not.

In any case, I know bugger all about Xen, so can't help further than that.

It is not that simple.  I know that my cpus support vtd. And mb also do to some extent.  Problem is that esxi is more picky with suported hardware than xen. And esxi is more restrictive with support of some add ball functionality like pci pass though as compared to xen. Thus I am houping for the best.

If you cannot afford VMWare then XenServer is a great product for those business users who do not have the $ to spent on ESXi.  But by nowhere is it the latest, and greatest thing since sliced bread.  It's just very buggy, and typically I will not run Xenserver until the first service pack comes out, which fixes all the bugs in it.  Their Premium sUpport is a joke =)

Again, home use may work, but for business use beware initial releases.  They just sometimes do things that don't make sense like not enable irqbalance, until customers run into an issue, and suddenly in the latest release it ends up being a new feature.  XenServer released are like initial Windows releases, if you are going to run them, just expect bugs.

/rantoff

Sorry, too many sleepless nights because of XenServer.

-Marcus

If you cannot afford VMWare then XenServer is a great product for those business users who do not have the $ to spent on ESXi.  But by nowhere is it the latest, and greatest thing since sliced bread.  It's just very buggy, and typically I will not run Xenserver until the first service pack comes out, which fixes all the bugs in it.  Their Premium sUpport is a joke =)

Again, home use may work, but for business use beware initial releases.  They just sometimes do things that don't make sense like not enable irqbalance, until customers run into an issue, and suddenly in the latest release it ends up being a new feature.  XenServer released are like initial Windows releases, if you are going to run them, just expect bugs.

/rantoff

Sorry, too many sleepless nights because of XenServer.

-Marcus

-Marcus :  I am not here to start a flame war on which HW is better :-)

I only trying to get help with a specific OS. and specific setup.

my first reaction was to use VMWARE as that is the one I know about. used workstation for very long time.  BUT type 1 hypervisor is not same as type 2.

I have a specific need which VMWare can not fulfill even if I got the paid version.

thus we are here looking at the possible alternative.

based on my research so far XenServer might do a better job. if it does I bet many people here would find that very helpful.

there are lots of people here who got their servers from TAMs just like I did.

and there is a good chance that many of them would like to use the hardware as is.

not  investing more money into new MB/CPU/RAM. especially when you have a perfectly good setup already (regardless of the fact that case alone worth all the money spent).

if an alternative solution can be found why not try to find it?

as for XS being buggy,  I have a friend who manages the whole company on it.

have been doing it for several years now and likes it.

unfortunately he have no idea how to build VM for unraid on it.

and does not even know what and how  PCI pass-through works. he had no need for this kind of things thus no knowledge. I am hoping that one of the good people on this board have an inkling about what I need to do and would be kind enough to share his/hers experience with TLNC  (as in  Total Linux Noobs Club)  8)

::):-[ :'( :o

ddeeds > you are a GOD  :-)

Thank you...

I will be watching ,impatiently  ;), your thread for updates and how-to.

I think this is what people here needed for a long time, but since XenServer was not as good and not truly free before it was not as important. now it is paramount stuff.

no offense to VMWare users, but if you can get a steak instead of a burger for the same price why not.

and that is what we have here.  Xen/XenServer give you much more functionality that you would normally get in an enterprise system for free. and even though lots of it is CLI based as opposed to GUI, the fact that it's there if you want it is the key.

stuff like VM migration (vMotion in ESX), VM backup (including live backup) and many more fitures that you would have to pay lots of $$$ to get in VMWare are included and free with Xen/XenServer 6.2.

and I do think that even though ESXi is a good mature product, the restrictions that you get in free version are significant enough to warrant a look for other products, even for use in home lab.

to name a few that was important to me and thus why they jump out here:

1. RAM limit of 32GB on host is a joke.

I know that you can over-commit  the RAM for VMs but if your MB supports it, WHY do that?

2. Very restrictive HCL for many functions. I know why they do it,  but still think they could do a better job making it work on more diverse hardware. if Citrix can do it VMWare should be able to as well.

I have notice in many posts on this forum, people building monster servers just for unRaid.

but selected few are very into virtualization  and having restrictions like those above is not a good thing.

ddeeds> I did not mean to imply that ESXi is bad or anything, and I don't think I had done so.

all I meant to say that for many people, especially here on this forum, an alternative to ESXi is needed.

not because  ESXi is bad or because  if you want to get full functionality you need to pay. by all means if you feel that ESXi is for you and you have a budget for it do it.

but most people here a building home setups, they might not have the budget to get full functionality from VMWare and many might not know an alternative solution exists and is actually viable.

thus they will continue to use ESXi with  all the limitiation it brings as free version trying to find a way to overcome the limitations. or they would start searching for alternatives and I am happy if my adventure would help some one.

if I did my research more thoroughly and did not commit to  a specific hardware with TAMs server, I would probably end up using ESXi even with it's limitations.

I am actually happy that I was forced to look for alternative solutions and found Xen/XenServer

as now I know that I do have a choice. and maybe even it is better choice  FOR ME and for what I am trying to accomplish.

no offense to VMWare users, but if you can get a steak instead of a burger for the same price why not.

Having used Citrix products before I hope it isn't Steakv1.0 otherwise you're going to be running to the bathroom a lot.

Like Chinese 4WDs, there is a reason why they give you more for less...

Psiczar?that not exactly what I ment.  The free version of esxi have a lot of limitations that mightbe ok for many . However to do what I want its creates an issue.  Also many big companies run their datacenters on xen so it cant be thst bad.

Side by side compare give me reason to choose xen over esxi.

Having used, managed and deployed ESXi, Hyper-V and Xen in Enterprise wide deployments of 1,000+ locations including 100,000+ Servers / VMs etc. through the years... I can tell you that all three (ESXi, Hyper-V and Xen) have their pluses, minuses, quirks and issues.

To imply that Xen or Hyper-V for that matter are not stable, useable or simply can't preform on MASSIVE and LARGE scales throughout the enterprise / cloud or simple as a Hypervisor with 5 or 6 VMs in your home... is laughable.

VMware has 56% of the market and that is mostly in mixed environments with Xen, Hyper-V and KVM. Are you implying that IBM, Red Hat, Accenture, Deloitte, etc. sell / make / force the other 44% of Fortune 500 companies to invest millions and millions of dollars in Xen / Hyper-V deployments with Business Critical applications when both know they do not work and will fail? Yeah... okay buddy.

I am a huge ESXi fan and even defended it in this thread but to say it's the only thing that works, never has issues and speaking in absolutes only makes you look foolish. Do I need to remind you of the all the issues with ESXi 4.1 or 5.0? Or have you drank to much ESXi kool-aid already?

You might want to get up to brush up on your Hyper V 2012 R2 because it is a MONSTER. With Microsoft already having 28% or so of the Hypervisor industry... That will put it ahead of Xen and ESXi when it comes to features / functions / price (and it's FREE too... guess that makes it suck too).

:o

I'm sorry if I caused any offence, my throw away comments were as a result of past experience "beta testing" Citrix's production products.

I didn't mention Hyper-V and even though it isnt a free hyper-visor (you need to license the underlying operating system) its come a long way and I would happily use the version that comes with 2012.