Please help! My server keeps crashing.

I have been happily using unraid for a year now and I have been lurking around these forums for about a year and a half although this is my first post. I recently had a most unfortunate power outage while the mover was running. I know it was stupid that I didn't already have a UPS but since then I have purchased one online. I am running 5 rc16c. After I rebooted the system, the unclean power shutdown message appeared as I expected so I proceeded to bring the array online to let the parity check run its course. Here is where things go south... once the parity check starts, the system completely freezes up. The webpage stops working, I cannot telnet in, and the system is unresponsive from the counsel with a monitor, there is no activity on the drives either (no blinking hdd activity lights and no quiet clicks that i would normally hear from a busy hard drive). That leaves me no choice but to hold down the power button and reboot. I then inserted the thumb-drive into my computer and windows prompts a scan for issues message. At which point I scanned it, formatted it, and rewrote my thumb-drive backup files to it. I tried to capture a syslog on reboot but I am afraid that is to late. Then I started in maintenance mode and started running reiserfsck --check on each disk to find the issue because I am fairly certain that this is a software issue. I have 7 array drives and 1 parity. The reiserfsck results were good on all array drives except disk 5. On disk 5, it gets to the replaying journal part and then freezes up just like as described above. Telnet (putty) times out and disconnects, the web page stops working and the console locks up once again leaving me no choice but a hard reboot. I am wondering if maybe I should buy another 3 tb drive and try to rebuild disk 5 but I am scared that my parity could have been corrupted in the crash also. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

syslog.txt

Here is the smart report for disk 5... I'd be surprised if it is a psu issue as the system only locks up (immediately) when the reiserfsck is ran on disk 5 or if a parity check is started. It is in a 3x5 cage that is powered by two molex connectors and the other drives in the cage don't freeze the system. It is nice to see the community so helpful. Thanks guys.

disk5-smart.txt

another way to quickly test disk 5 is to temporarily remove it from system and start the server. if it boots up fine and doesn't lockup and says disk 5 is missing, problem most likely a messed up disk 5. Good luck, i also had a similar power issue, finally narrowed it to a psu and one messed up drive, was able to recover the drive just replaced psu, then preclear my messed up disk again and added it back to the array to rebuild itself.

I did what you said and disconnected disk 5 and fired it back up and I was able to view the files on the missing drive so I figured it was safe to assume that the parity was fine. Then I cleared disk 5 and tried to rebuild it but there were lots of write errors so I ran down to the store and grabbed a new drive. It is rebuilding like a champ right now so I think all is good! Cheers

I thought is was going to be alright but I ran a reiserfsck on disk 5 after the rebuild on the new drive was completed and it recommended the dreaded "--rebuild-sb"!!! At least the system didn't lock up like before. That must mean that my parity and disk 5 (new drive that was rebuilt) are corrupt, right? I can still see the files just fine so I am copying all the files from disk 5 to an external drive at the moment. All of the other drives are fine according to reiserfsck. After the files are backed up, I would like to remove that drive from the array and rebuild the parity to an array without disk 5. I read on the wiki how to remove a drive by doing the following:

Stop the array by pressing "Stop" on the management interface. Un-assign the drive on the Devices page, then return to the unRAID Main page.

Select the 'Utils' tab

Choose "New Config"

Agree and create a new config

Is this still valid for 5rc16c? It will allow me to remove disk 5 all together and rebuild the parity from the remaining drives, right? I am in damage control mode right now but I believe that all of my data is still in tact at the moment... parity with no striping is awesome. I really am grateful for any help.

That's is correct, but you need to make sure the rest of the files are definitely not corrupt, i ran into this same issue when i had my power issue and i pressed through with the errors and rebuilt array and checked parity until i got no errors. Part of my ordeal was a loose/faulty sata cable as well, if disk5 content is accessible and valid i would still replace disk 5 and have it rebuild then parity check... But thats my opinion, I would wait for some more experienced and unraid gurus to chime in.... in the mean time if disk 5 content is not corrupt start to back it up

Archived