Review: KINGWIN KF-4000 4 in 3 trayless rack

erikatcuse

I just upgraded from a mixed system to an all SATA server.  Since I have the original stacker with 12 bays I decided on 4 in 3 to get to that magic number of 16.  So I purchased the following http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990004&Tpk=kf-4000

It is packaged well and comes with all the cabling you need to run the system.  I was very impressed with the construction of the trays and how well the hard drives sit in their bays.  I also like the fact I no longer have to deal with trays and screwing down all the HD's (even though the last few I just let sit in the trays).  I did have one concern and that was the 2 small fans on the back of the enclosure.  I thought they might be too small but after a parity check on my 5 drives the highest temp recorded was 37C and it was the hitachi spinpoint in the top most slot.  The other 4 drives stayed right around 30C degrees.

In all a very solid product at a decent price.

I like these as well. My concern is when the fan dies.

This was the original reason I designed my case in a pull fashion with 120MM fans.

I planned to extract the 40mm fans and use a passive design.

In the end I went with a completely passive tray which ended up working out well too.

I have the 2in3's.  Although A using them would be slightly more expensive, there is more cooling and the build could be slightly more dense