VPN and unRAID

So I was glancing at my syslog just to see if anything interesting was happening, low and behold someone was actively trying to hack into my ftp server on unraid.  IPtrace led me to somewhere in China.  Needless to say, I killed off all access ports on the router.

This leads me to the question of security.  How easy is it to set up a VPN on unraid?

So I was glancing at my syslog just to see if anything interesting was happening, low and behold someone was actively trying to hack into my ftp server on unraid.  IPtrace led me to somewhere in China.  Needless to say, I killed off all access ports on the router.

This leads me to the question of security.  How easy is it to set up a VPN on unraid?

Besides the obvious of "your server with your important files should not be accessible via the internet", I can see a couple of easy solutions here:

1) change the default port of your ftp server (not sure how)

2) Assuming you have a DSL modem / router / something similar, setup a vpn to your modem, and then you can remotely access your ftp :-)

another option which can help (notice i carefully dont say solve) is a denyhosts like solution. I run this on all my ssh servers and essentuially what it does is add an ipblock when a users fails login in one of many ways.

I have never hgave it any consideration on unraid as i would never let mine be visible via the internet but if possible it can really hinder attack attempts as the aggressors IP is blocked almost immediately.

Woth invevestigating as a means to limit how hard it is to hammer your server and likely will be much simpler than a VPN (although thats a better solution)

another option which can help (notice i carefully dont say solve) is a denyhosts like solution. I run this on all my ssh servers and essentuially what it does is add an ipblock when a users fails login in one of many ways.

Woth invevestigating as a means to limit how hard it is to hammer your server and likely will be much simpler than a VPN (although thats a better solution)

I was looking for this exact solution, the denyhosts.  Any links or packages to help me start?

I will eventually try to get openVPN on there since I think this is the best solution.

For the time being, I've remapped all the stardard ports on the router.

It seems to me that you want VPN on a home router, rather than directly on unRAID. In particular, the DD-WRT open-source firmware comes in a version that includes OpenVPN, which makes the technology available on consumer-grade and -priced routers. (Beware that not all supported devices can use the OpenVPN version; I can confirm that the WRT310N works.)