Author Topic: PCIX SATA Controller - 4tb/3tb drives  (Read 2091 times)

Offline ozmillsy

PCIX SATA Controller - 4tb/3tb drives
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:18:16 AM »
Hi,  I'm looking to build a NAS server with unRAID. 

I've purchased a 2nd hand Supermicro 933T server.    It has a LSI Megaraid controller in it,  but this controller doesnt recognise drives over 2tb.

Can anyone recommend me a multiport SATA controller card, that will let me use the full capacity of 3tb and 4tb drives.   Are the Areca's the go?

Offline Fireball3

Re: PCIX SATA Controller - 4tb/3tb drives
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:10 AM »
Here you will find the proven in use controllers.

Edit:
What LSI controller are you talking about?
A firmware update might solve your problem?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:25:55 AM by Fireball3 »

unRAID 5.x running on AMD Sempron 140 @ ASUS M4A87TD EVO & 2x DELL Perc H310 @ LSI9211-8i IT (P16)

|First run | Preclear | S3 | Powerdown | Hardware | Troubleshooting | Useful sig | BASH | Console | My Posts|

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
Thanks,   it wasnt clear if all the sata controllers on that list supported large drives.  I assume the SataII ones do.    Not many pcix cards on the list.

Edit:
300-8X,  it appears to have the latest firmware.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:35:18 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline BobPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
Thanks,   it wasnt clear if all the sata controllers on that list supported large drives.  I assume the SataII ones do.    Not many pcix cards on the list.

Edit:
300-8X,  it appears to have the latest firmware.
My personal favorite PCI-x HBA is the AOC-SAT2-MV8.  I used it with unRAID and my X7SBE MB for a year or two before I upgraded to X9SCM-F and it's better virtualization capabilities.
1 - 5.0rc16c unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, Tyan S5512GM2NR, 2GB mem VM - ESXi 5.0, Xeon E3-1230, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240.
2 - 5.0rc16c unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, Tyan S5512GM2NR, 2GB mem VM - ESXi 5.0, Xeon E3-1230, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240.
3 - 5.0rc16c unRAID server: Lian Li V2000, SM X9SCM-F, 2GB mem VM - ESXi 5.0, Xeon E3-1230, IBM M1015 to Intel RES2SV240.
4 - N54L unRAID 5.0 - 5 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000 1 3TB ST3000DM001
5 - X7SBE, Q9550 & unRAID 6.0 & 8 3TB Toshibas 1 3TB Seagate - 1 WHS2001 VM.

Offline Fireball3

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
300-8x looks like a "real" hardware RAID controller.
You need a host bus adapter or a software RAID controller.

As you can see in the wiki there are only two PCI-X controllers.
I remember I read some hardware offers around here...
Check this out. He has the AOC-SAT2-MV8.
Hopefully you're living in the US.

What Areca controller did you intend to use?

unRAID 5.x running on AMD Sempron 140 @ ASUS M4A87TD EVO & 2x DELL Perc H310 @ LSI9211-8i IT (P16)

|First run | Preclear | S3 | Powerdown | Hardware | Troubleshooting | Useful sig | BASH | Console | My Posts|

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »
300-8x looks like a "real" hardware RAID controller.
You need a host bus adapter or a software RAID controller.
Yeah, I dont need or want hardware RAID.   Just a card that will allow me to connect 3tb/4tb sata drives.   The 300-8X came with the 933T that I bought (off ebay).

As you can see in the wiki there are only two PCI-X controllers.
I remember I read some hardware offers around here...
Check this out. He has the AOC-SAT2-MV8.
Hopefully you're living in the US.
Thanks, I've sent a PM.    I'm downunder.    I see some of those cards readily available on Ebay.    Either way, I think they are the shot.

What Areca controller did you intend to use?
Hadnt picked one.   I read somewhere that they supported 3tb drives after a firmware flash.  But I posted here asking, as I wasnt sure what to get.   

Offline Fireball3

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 01:32:00 AM »
Looks like the SAT2-MV8 is working with big drives.

I didn't find PCI-X cards on Areca's site.
But PCI-X is somewhat outdated.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:21 AM »
Looks like the SAT2-MV8 is working with big drives.
Yeah, cool.  Looks like it is a go-er !   8)

I didn't find PCI-X cards on Areca's site.
But PCI-X is somewhat outdated.
Yes, it is dated.   But I'm ok with that, for a low speed storage solution.    If I can get the old 933T working with 4tb drives, I'll be very happy.

http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pcix.htm

Offline Fireball3

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:07 AM »
But that ARC-1110/1120 also looks like real "hardware" RAID.  :(
Intel IOP331
PCI-X 64bit/133MHz
256MB on-board DDR333 SDRAM with ECC protection (4/8-port)

Those would be the HBA's.
But all PCI-e.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:02:38 AM by Fireball3 »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 02:07:39 PM »
But that ARC-1110/1120 also looks like real "hardware" RAID.  :(

I don't know if that matters does it,  as long as the drives can be configured as JBODs.   Appreciate it may be overkill.  I just want a solution that works, without spending huge dollars.   

I will be trying the Supermicro that has been recommended.

Those would be the HBA's.
But all PCI-e.
Yes, PCI-e , and this,,,,,,,

48 bits LBA, support HDD partition larger than 137GB
That is likely to be a problem for me.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:20:32 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline earthworm

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
I'm all for reusing old server hardware.  I'm running 10 drives so far on an Areca ARC-1170 in a Dell 1600SC server.  I got the server for free and the card for a reasonable price from a popular auction site.

The card has 24 physical SATA2 connectors and supports the 3TB and 4TB drives I have plugged into it.  I really like the built-in web interface it includes through its built-in ethernet port.
Dell PE1600SC - ARC-1170 24port SATA-II

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
I'm all for reusing old server hardware.  I'm running 10 drives so far on an Areca ARC-1170 in a Dell 1600SC server.  I got the server for free and the card for a reasonable price from a popular auction site.

The card has 24 physical SATA2 connectors and supports the 3TB and 4TB drives I have plugged into it.  I really like the built-in web interface it includes through its built-in ethernet port.
That's good feedback, cheers.   Good to know that model supports the larger current drives.   I saw a 24 port 1170 on Ebay,   but it was $380.    Alot more than I'd like to spend.

A question on it though, which is probably relevant to the lower port count models like 1160.    When configuring JBODs,   can you take a drive with data on it,   add it to your system,  and configure it as a JBOD without the card writing to the HDD ?      Might sound like a silly question,  but some of the old raid controllers would configure a single HDD as it's own logical drive, which can sometimes mess with what is on the disk.

Adding drives into the system with data on them, is a key thing I want to do.   I'm new to unraid, havent played with it yet,  and fear it doesnt let me do it seamlessly?   ie: put the drive straight into the array and sync the data.       But I could add a drive to the system,  mount it,  copy data on the array,  and then incorporate the drive into the array.    A bit of a time consuming pain, but could be done that way.

Offline vl1969

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »

That's good feedback, cheers.   Good to know that model supports the larger current drives.   I saw a 24 port 1170 on Ebay,   but it was $380.    Alot more than I'd like to spend.

A question on it though, which is probably relevant to the lower port count models like 1160.    When configuring JBODs,   can you take a drive with data on it,   add it to your system,  and configure it as a JBOD without the card writing to the HDD ?      Might sound like a silly question,  but some of the old raid controllers would configure a single HDD as it's own logical drive, which can sometimes mess with what is on the disk.

Adding drives into the system with data on them, is a key thing I want to do.   I'm new to unraid, havent played with it yet,  and fear it doesnt let me do it seamlessly?   ie: put the drive straight into the array and sync the data.       But I could add a drive to the system,  mount it,  copy data on the array,  and then incorporate the drive into the array.    A bit of a time consuming pain, but could be done that way.

not sure 100% but I would think that if a controller configured to JBOD shouldn't it just accept a drive and pass it to the system? why would controller be writing to the drive?
you are not creating an RAID array, it should just act as an hub right ?

on the second note, unraid will not let you add drives with data on them as it wants to format all drives when adding it to array.
but you can configure your unraid server and add SNAP.
than you can add the drive to the system, mount it with SNAP. and copy data onto array.
when done pre-clear the drive and add it to array.
======New Build (In Progress)================================
can be found here :  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28671.0
===================================

======Current Build ================================
unRaid: 5.0Beta13 no licence(Free config) (have been running since late 2011) no issues
=====================================
MB:   M5A87 Socket AM3+ 870 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU:  PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor HDX840WFGMBOX
PSU:  Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
RAM:  HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit
HDD: (3) Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 3Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST320005N4A1AS-RK

Offline earthworm

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
What vl1969 said.  :)

I preclear my drives on a separate system then add them to my server.  The server sees the drive as precleared and it's a quick add to the array.  The Areca card does not modify the drive data in any way when I plug it in.  This is for JBOD.  I never checked with the card in RAID mode if you would have to create an array for each individual disk.  I remember having to do this for SCSI RAID controllers.
Dell PE1600SC - ARC-1170 24port SATA-II

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
I preclear my drives on a separate system then add them to my server. 
I'll be copying terabytes of data at a time,  and I didnt want to do that between systems.    I want to put the HDD in my server with data on it.   It sounds like SNAP will let me copy the data off, before I incorporate the drive into the array.   I'll play with it.

The Areca card does not modify the drive data in any way when I plug it in.  This is for JBOD. 
Thanks for confirming.

I never checked with the card in RAID mode if you would have to create an array for each individual disk.  I remember having to do this for SCSI RAID controllers.
The silly LSI 300-8X I am using doesnt seem to let me boot into the system without configuring the HDDs connected to it.   I *have* to go into the card setup, and configure the HDD.   It's a pain.   I look forward to getting something else.