How can I improve my unRaid Workflow?

RussellinSacto

Hi Guys,

I'm a semi-professional photographer who creates 70-400GB of images in a single photo shoot - hence the need for unRaid.

Here is my current backup procedure/workflow.  Is it flawed?  How could it be improved?

A - I return home from a photo shoot with two 500 GB USB drives - manually mirrored drives of my images.

B - I copy my originals to my Unraid machine, Windows box, and Buffallo TeraStation (clearing the USB drives for the next shoot).

C - I manipulate my images on my Windows box.  I then simultaneously save the edited images to both my Unraid and TeraStation (clearing my Windows box for the next shoot).

D - From here, I use ElephantDrive (marginally satisfied with their product - PM me for details) for offsite backup.  I'm considering an offsite Unraid for this purpose. 

I HAVE NO OTHER BACKUP.

Does this seem adequate?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Russell

Dude.... you are shooting way too much.  I usually shoot a 1DS MKII (17MP) and Phase One on the Hassy, and swap them with an assistant copying the CF cards, and I couldn't shoot 400GB in a day if I tried.  Even shooting Bowl games, NCAAA BB championships, and a 12-model catalog shoot, I could never shoot that much.  How are you mirroring 400GB in the field?  That has to take hours.  Even on JT's SuperShoots, I never had someone shoot that kind of volume in all four days combined.

That said, you do need something else IMHO.  After you do shot selection, burn the raw files of the keepers to Gold-media DVDs.

Hi BubbaQ,

Thanks for the photo feedback.  :P  I didn't say a photoshoot was one day - sometimes up to 10 days or so... and I'm doing Gigapixel images, so they're gigantic, like Eric at XRez does:  xRez_print4.html

Needless to say, splitting gigantic files and then burning them to a pile of DVDs is costly - and super time intensive.

Any better ways to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,

Russell

You are using only magnetic media, which is subject to all manner of perils.  Archival storage to optical media is called for.

Ans whether you use magnetic or optical, be prepared to copy it to fresh media every 20 years or so.

My really important stuff (Playmate test shoots ;) ) I burn 2 copies of and send them to offsite storage.

Archived