I love Unraid. Been using it for 3 years now, and it has saved my data twice already due to disk failures.
Here is my current challenge:
- My 755 movies used to be single files (.mkv, .avi, .iso, etc), except for a handful of DVD rips in the VIDEO_TS structure; and I always let each XBMC client scrape for and locally store metadata.
- I never had a need for split level, so I never made any changes to the default setting.
- I recently decided to create a folder for each movie, and use Media Companion to download and store all metadata on my Unraid server.
- All 3 of my 2TB data disks were equally full (about 96%) when I decided to do this.
- As Media Companion started adding nfo, tbn, jpg etc files to my movie folders, Unraid created duplicate movie folders across 2 or 3 drives, because my allocation method is high water. This happened for hundreds of movies. My movie share is 3.5TB.
- Now I'm having issues with XBMC clients and other stuff because the metadata is separated from the movie file, etc.
I've since adjusted my split level setting to make sure this doesn't happen with new movies that get added to the movie share, but this doesn't help my current problem of hundreds of duplicate folders across 2 or 3 drives.
I started to manually consolidate files back into one folder (the one with the movie file), and delete the remaining empty duplictate movie folder(s). I did this using Windows, with each disk open in it's own window using 2 monitors (so I can see which movie folders are duplicated). After 25 movies, and I'm still in the A's, I decided this was going to take way too long.
I've already searched for an answer, but the suggestions I've found aren't feasible for my specific scenario:http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3672.msg31819#msg31819http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18196.msg163188#msg163188http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29648.msg266060#msg266060http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=16378.msg150893#msg150893
I tried Midnight Commander, but it isn't logical, because I need to see all three disks' contents in order to know which movie folders are duplicated.
If I had a 4TB external hard drive, I would just move my entire movie share to it, then move it back to unraid, and split level would take care of it, right? But I don't have a 4TB drive.
If my motherboard and case had any room, I'd add a couple drives during Black Friday sales, and just move the entire share to a new share (different name), and let split level fix it. Maybe it's time to upgrade??
Any suggestions? I know I'm missing something. Just can't think outside of the box right now.
Thanks in advance for any help at all,