Plex Media Server Build PLEASE critique

cwhite3

Ok the purpose for this build is to be used as a whole home server to stream using Plex.  I have 3 kids so I needed something that can handle multiple people streaming.  I want to rip all of my media down to this server.  I have a media room and will be building a small HTPC to stream to my Theatre Room.

This is my first computer build.

unRaid OS with plex server

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock E3C226D2I Mini ITX LGA1150

RAM: 2 Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Server Memory Model KVR16LR11S4/4I

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Storage: 3 Seagate Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case: Fractal Design FD-CA-NODE-304-WH Mini ITX Desktop Case

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I have set this up as a mini-ITX and realized that there aren’t many options with ECC and multiple SATA-6 ports.

If you think I should switch to a larger format please let me know what you think.

I would like to have this unit for a long time and make it expandable because I am sure my large media collection will get bigger.

To further clarify, this will be in the hub of my house where all the internet is ran.  It will be nice and cool tucked away so size and noise don't matter.

My budget is around $1200 but that isn't concrete.

I am looking for 6 drive expandability but starting with 3 2TB drives.  The reason I am going with the seagate enterprise drives is because of the 5 warranty.

Looks like a great build, I don't see any glaring issues.

For RAM you say "2 Kingston 4GB xxxxx" so I'm assuming 8GB?  I would suggest 8GB minimum for what you are looking to do.

As for the drives, you can get a lot more storage for cheaper, but with shorter warranties obviously.  If warranty length is your primary concern, then I understand. Might want to have a look at this thread first: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=30425.msg273500#msg273500

The only other thing I would suggest is the case used in my build, as I'm extremely partial to it (as are a lot of others around here), but that's obviously a preference thing. It also happens to be on sale for less than 1/2 price right now at Newegg.

Forgot to mention, your build should have more than enough horsepower to do at least 3 concurrent transcoded streams, if not more depending on source/destination formats. That said, most of the streaming that will take place in the home will be direct play and not transcoded anyway (depending on the streaming client) and hence you'll be able to run more simultaneous streams than you're ever likely to need.

I would think its more for power use than anything. My cache drive never spins down with plex running.

Why are you using a SDD for a server?

Everyone has said that when you run plex, that drive never spins down so the power usage is more and the life of that drive is less.  So why not spend a $100 to save the hassle of having a drive fail real quick.  This is just what i have learned while researching this build.

A couple other comments ..

=>  What's the purpose for the SSD?  You don't need it for UnRAID, although if your plan is to use it as a cache drive for Plex that's fine.

=>  I'd use 4TB drives instead of 2TB units.    That will allow you to migrate to as much as 20TB of protected storage in that case (which supports a very nice collection).

Enterprise class drives are fine, but I think the NAS quality units are all you need -- I'd go with 4TB WD Reds or Seagate NAS drives.    Note that the Seagate NAS drives are on sale TODAY for the best price I've seen on them:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393      Note sure how long that price is good for, but it's a VERY good price ($40 less per drive than I paid for a half dozen I bought just 3 months ago).

A couple other comments ..

=>  What's the purpose for the SSD?  You don't need it for UnRAID, although if your plan is to use it as a cache drive for Plex that's fine.

=>  I'd use 4TB drives instead of 2TB units.    That will allow you to migrate to as much as 20TB of protected storage in that case (which supports a very nice collection).

Enterprise class drives are fine, but I think the NAS quality units are all you need -- I'd go with 4TB WD Reds or Seagate NAS drives.    Note that the Seagate NAS drives are on sale TODAY for the best price I've seen on them:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393      Note sure how long that price is good for, but it's a VERY good price ($40 less per drive than I paid for a half dozen I bought just 3 months ago).

Yeah the SSD is going to be the cache drive for plex.

I have heard bad things about the fail rates on the WD Red drives.  That is a good price on those drives, I am going to go ahead and get 3 of them.  Still makes me nervous because they only have a 3 year warranty though.

Ok I know a lot of people on here went with the Asus H87I-PLUS with an i3.  The reason I didn't was because of the ECC and thought that this would help me with future problems.  Am I correct in thinking this?

Absolutely.  While standard unbuffered RAM is very reliable, ECC adds fault-tolerance to your RAM subsystem, just as the parity disk adds it to the storage subsystem.  ECC RAM is definitely a better way to go.    For reliability in a RAM subsystem, the best option is FBDIMM or registered modules (i.e. buffered RAM);  the next-best choice is unbuffered modules with ECC (what you're getting); and the least-reliable choice is simple unbuffered modules.

Note that if you're using unbuffered modules (with or without ECC), you can reduce the risk of RAM errors by minimizing the number of modules you install.  I never install more than one module per channel (2 modules total on most boards -- 3 on a triple-channel board).

Archived