Unable to write directly to Unraid with MakeMKV

I've tried writing directly to my Share "Movie" and I've tried writing directly to a cache drive. I get so far through and get the error "Error 'Posix error - Input/output error' occurred while writing data to '/Volumes/Movies/The Alamo (1960)/title00.mkv", it quits and that's all she wrote.  I can however write to the SSD on my iMac and then move the file to unRaid.  So, I'm missing something, I can't believe I can't write directly to my "Movie" share.  I have NO plugins or add ons to unRaid and I have a Pro license.  Am I missing permissions somewheres?  Got me beat...

Just in case others run into this problem, after research, my iMac is using Lion as the OS.  Apple doesn't support Samba/SMB like it used to, so I'm told, I can read but Mac will not write to other than an Apple format.  I tried some programs that are supposed to solve this but they screw up my Time Machine and give me the same problem writing directly to unRaid. Some, even cost some serious bucks.  Go figure.  So I decided to get a 2T seagate Central to write my MKV files to and then transfer them to unRaid, it works, but I hate doing things twice.  I tried with a cache drive, but no go, as my iMac is still writing to a non-Apple format.  So writing from iMac to unRaid seems impossible for now, if anyone has found a solution or is able to connect and write, let me in on it. ~ Thanks, kristisdad

I've never had any issues writing from any version of Mac OS to any version of unRAID over the last 2.5 years. SMB has never been an issue. Apple has depreciated AFP is in Mavericks in favor of SMB. Two Mavericks Macs will share files with each other via SMB by default. AFP is maintained as a fallback to communicate with older systems and for TimeMachine.  I'm not sure where your getting the info regarding Lion and SMB.  See here for Mavericks: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884 and here for Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4356

kristisdad,

I use Lion (and Mavericks on another Mac) with unRAID and no problems.

SMB has worked fine for a long time...

There IS a long standing set of complexities around SMB networking between MACs and WINDOWS for file sharing...but that doesn't apply to MAC<-->UNRAID.

There is ALSO an issue with Apple TimeMachine and SMB. TM REQUIRES AFP and will not work with SMB.

It is also TRUE that Apple, by default, can read/but not write a Windows file format. (although the free control panel 'NTFS-3G' fixes this).

However, the issue here is not about file formats. (and besides, unRAID uses the ReiserFS file systems, which is not native to either the Mac or Windows. It that were the problem, you wouldn't even be able to see unRAID files.)

But back to the problem at hand...

Are you using MakeMKV on your Mac to create your mkv files?

If so, there's something about the latest MakeMKV and SMB releases that doesn't work right together.

The MakeMKV forums seem to indicate that downgrading a release on either MakeMKV or SMB will fix this.

MakeMKV is discussed here:

http://elhsd.digital2get.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6490

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6167

On your Mac you can revert to an older SMB release by connecting to unRAID with cifs.

See this for some ways to do that:

I simply dropped MakeMKV and switched to Handbrake and haven't looked back.