PS3mediaserver

Romir thanks I got it running w/o the telnet screen now.  Is there also a way to kill the process?    Sorry I am not really a Linux user.  Is there any ill effects of having this running all the time reads/writes/etc since its on a flash?

I'm going to look into how an underclocked 1.8ghz AMD 5050e holds up, and look into compiling mencoder with multi-threading and no gui.

As far as streaming goes I have read that the PMS can stream and transcode any 1080p videos as long as you have a dual core so I presume that the AMD will perform on par.  I also think the RAM benefits greatly since the pms has a transcode buffer setting which can be set.  For multi-threading and no gui do you mean the PMS.conf file or you setting up you own because I found this:

mencoder_mt = true
minimized = true

The only other error I am having now is with subititles which I will look into at the official PMS board and also that after a certain time the server gets disconnected and my ps3 cannot find it anymore therefore I have to restart PMS.  I have not yet tried watching a full video to see if it happens while playing but has a tendency to occur when I am browsing my files on the ps3 after playing a snippet of a file since I was testing what type of files can play.

I am also seeing if I can use coreavc in here since I have mkv files and found this to be a pretty fast for h264 files.

I love the work on this and greatly appreciate especially since its of major use to me  ;D.  Thanks.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently bought a PS3 console and I use it to 1- watch movies and 2- play games. I used to stream video to my xBox through XBMC and I would really love doing the same thing to my PS3. Since I'm in dire need of a good file server why not also use it to stream videos and music to the PS3 ?

Since most HD movies downloaded from the net are in mkv format and that the PS3 won't play these off the bat, I would really really love to see this feature implemented in unRAID. Since I haven't started building my server yet, I can still wait a bit but that would definitely be a great motivation if it became available soon !  ;)

Since I'm a noob to this server building stuff, what would be a good hardware base to run unRAID and PS3MediaServer ? I'll be streaming 720P media to my PS3 so I guess I don't need a monster of a computer but I am really clueless as to what processing power I need to stream mkv's files to my PS3. Spo, basically, what mobo/CPU combination should I be looking for ?

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot wait to see the final build doc for this. Can anyone say module?

I would be great if we could add things like this "Ps3mediaserver" although I have an xbox360, unmenu, vmware, all as modules with little or no configuration required.

Great work guys...

I cannot wait to see the final build doc for this. Can anyone say module?

I would be great if we could add things like this "Ps3mediaserver" although I have an xbox360, unmenu, vmware, all as modules with little or no configuration required.

Great work guys...

i agree it would be nice to have a module for this making it easier to install i just set this up on windows 7 last night and it works great but i have yet to check out how well it will mux 1080p video

Since I'm a noob to this server building stuff, what would be a good hardware base to run unRAID and PS3MediaServer ? I'll be streaming 720P media to my PS3 so I guess I don't need a monster of a computer but I am really clueless as to what processing power I need to stream mkv's files to my PS3. Spo, basically, what mobo/CPU combination should I be looking for ?

I have a celeron 430 and it streams and transcodes 720p nicely to the PS3 using the PMS.  Only have problems when I try to RW or FF too fast for streams being transcoded.  If you wanna transcode 1080p files I would say at least a dual core.  My PC cannot transcode 1080p nicely without pausing it every now and then for the PC to catch up.  When I upgrade my PS3 to a gigabit switch I will see if that is enough but kind of doubt it.  Most HTPC's I believe are DC based (this was from a while back that I read not sure if it has changed since I last looked up information on it).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey first of all great topic. I am always constantly amazed at the extensibility of the unraid system every time I swing by the forums. The possibility of being able to access my audio and video files stored on my unraid server via the PS3 is just too good to pass up.

That being said I am a linux noob. I feel I'm close to having this work perfectly, but I just need a little help for the last step.

I've been following Romir's excellent guide, but I seem to have stumbled upon a roadblock.  My PS3 can see my tower and I can browse files, view pictures, stream mp3's and avi, & wmv files. Unfortunately when I try to listen to a flac file (which will have a [Mplayer] suffix) I receive a "The data type is not supported" error.. When I try to play a .mov (which will have a [MEcoder] suffix) I receive a "The data is corrupted" error. Essentially streaming works but transcoding doesn't.  I additionally installed the PS3mediaserver software on my Macbook Pro & everything works fine, so the fault has to lie in my linux installation.

When launched from terminal I get the following output:

GUI environment no available

Switching to console mode

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.740 Starting Java PS3 Media Server v1.10.5

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.740 by shagrath / 2008-2009

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741 http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741 http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741 Java 1.6.0_11-Sun Microsystems Inc.

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741 OS Linux i386 2.6.28.4-unRAID

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.741 Encoding: ANSI_X3.4-1968

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.747 Temp folder: /tmp/javaps3media

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.773 Registering transcoding engine FFmpeg Audio

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.784 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.784 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Audio

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.785 Registering transcoding engine MEncoder Web

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.785 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Video Dump

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.785 Registering transcoding engine MPlayer Web

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.788 Registering transcoding engine TsMuxer

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.789 Registering transcoding engine Audio High Fidelity

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.789 Registering transcoding engine VideoLan Audio Streaming

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.790 Registering transcoding engine VideoLan Video Streaming

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.790 Registering transcoding engine Raws Thumbnailer

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.858 Scanning network interface eth0 / eth0

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.860 Using address /10.0.1.2 found on network interface: name:eth0 (eth0) index: 2 addresses: /10.0.1.2;

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.860 Created socket: /10.0.1.2:5001

[Thread-1] TRACE 23:57:01.867 Starting DLNA Server on host 10.0.1.2 and port 5001...

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.870 Sending ALIVE...

[main] TRACE 23:57:01.877 Using following UUID: ed1e1d95-a50e-3e6d-9846-8fcc0ef6157b

[Thread-1] TRACE 23:57:05.456 Receiving a request from: 10.0.1.5

[main] TRACE 23:57:05.794 It's ready! You should see the server appears on XMB

And when attempting to play a .flac file I see this

[

Thread-5] TRACE 23:57:15.802 Sending ALIVE...

[Thread-5] TRACE 23:57:37.968 Sending ALIVE...

[Thread-82] TRACE 23:59:47.458 Starting transcode/remux of Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction.flac

And then " The data type is not supported" on the PS3 side.

Furthermore if I take a quick look at the Ps3mediacentre log file, at the spot where the .flac is accessed I get

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.049 Opened handler on socket Socket[addr=/10.0.1.5,port=52151,localport=5001]

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: GET /get/0$0$6$3$4$5/Barry+McGuire+-+Eve+of+Destruction.flac HTTP/1.1

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: Host: 10.0.1.2:5001

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: User-Agent: PLAYSTATION 3

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: Connection: Keep-Alive

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: Accept-Encoding: identity

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Received on socket: Range: bytes=0-

[Thread-54] INFO  00:16:16.050 HTTP: get/0$0$6$3$4$5/Barry+McGuire+-+Eve+of+Destruction.flac / 0-100000000000

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Wrote on socket: HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.050 Searching for objectId: 0$0$6$3$4$5 with children option: false

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:16.051 Asked stream chunk [0-100000000000] timeseek: 0.0 of Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction.flac and player MPlayer Audio

[Thread-54] TRACE 00:16:16.051 Starting transcode/remux of Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction.flac

[mkfifo] INFO  00:16:16.058 Starting mkfifo --mode=777 /tmp/javaps3media/mplayer_aud1241511376052

[mplayer] INFO  00:16:16.165 Starting mplayer /mnt/disk4/Music/Barry McGuire - Eve of Destruction.flac -prefer-ipv4 -nocache -af channels=2 -srate 44100 -vo null -ao pcm:waveheader:fast:file=/tmp/javaps3media/mplayer_aud1241511376052 -quiet

[mplayer] INFO  00:16:16.194 Reading pipe: /tmp/javaps3media/mplayer_aud1241511376052

[mplayer] DEBUG 00:16:16.194 Opening file /tmp/javaps3media/mplayer_aud1241511376052 for reading...

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.279 Wrote on socket: Content-Type: audio/wav

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Wrote on socket: CONTENT-RANGE: bytes 0-99999999999/100000000000

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Wrote on socket: Connection: keep-alive

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Wrote on socket: Server: Linux-i386-2.6.28.4-unRAID, UPnP/1.0, PMS/1.10.5

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Wrote on socket: Content-Length: 0

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Wrote on socket:

[Thread-54] DEBUG 00:16:18.280 Close Connection

The only step of Romir's guide that I didnt quite follow was the part about symlinking ffmpeg and mencoder to the ps3medicentre/linux folder. Is this step necessary and what would be causing my issue? If so, could someone hopefully elaborate on this process?

Thanks for the suggestion TimeFreedom, but as stated in my post, my issue is not necessarily PS3MediaServer specific, but its configuration under unraid as its Mac OSX incarnation works fine foir me.  As an aside I had already checked their forums. Unfortunately among the 130 threads was nothing pertinent to my situation and no one has actively posted in the linux discussion section for well over 90 days.

What better place to post for help than this thread?  When it comes to unraid, this is the best place. I just hope someone who has this up and running will be able to point me in the right direction.

Just wanted to say thanks to Romir.

I got this working last night first try with just one minor issue.  If you are using VMware or have multiple NIC's in your system, you need to edit your PMS.conf file and add the line "network_interface=eth0" (or whatever NIC you are using) in order to get it to work.  Also, be sure you cd to the directory PMS is installed and launch the ./PMS.sh program from there.  For some reason it wasn't reading the config file if I launched it with a full path.

Hopefully they add some security to this program that allows only certain devices to authenticate so I can just throw it in the go script.  Until then, a manual launch works just fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Any update on this from limetech?  It sounds kind of exciting and I'd love to have something built into Unraid.  What kind of hardware will be required to stream Blu-Ray discs to the PS3 on the server?  I currently have the original UnRaid hardware and I'm guessing that doesn't have the "umph" required.

Doug

Great News from Slysoft - I've been reading the forums over at Slysoft that they are working on a blu-ray player that "May" also stream. The great thing is they say it will be free. The streaming function will be included if there are no serious issues to get it working as they want to get the player out first so everyone can dump PowerDVD or WinDVD which both have issues playing blu-ray files. This seems like it would be perfect for streaming blu-ray iso files from Unraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Romir for getting this working on unraid!!

I installed this yesterday and it's working great EXCEPT i can't play mkv files. I get the corrupt data error when I try to. These videos will play fine if I remux them first using MKV2VOB, but I do not want to do this every time. Plus when you use that program you either lose the subtitles completely or have to hard-code them. I want to keep the original MKV files.

I browsed the ps3mediaserver forums and found this answer:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8719#p8719

Since I do not have a GUI to work with here, I'd like to know if any of you could tell me how to "uncheck switch to Tsmuxer iin mencoder settings" possibly using the PMS.conf file. I couldn't figure it out myself because I'm new to this.

thanks! this is how I fixed it (newest updates as of today, 6/25/09).

1.  get the newest FFMPEG here:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/ffmpeg/pkg64/current/ffmpeg-0.5-x86_64-2alien.tgz

get the newest MPLAYER here:

http://www.slackware.org.uk/3rd-party/alien/restricted_slackbuilds/MPlayer/pkg/12.2/MPlayer-r29301-i486-1alien.tgz

replace the old files in the mencoder directory with the above two.

2.  get the newest ps3 media player here:

http://ps3mediaserver.googlecode.com/files/pms-linux-1.10.5.tgz

delete the old pms folder if you already installed it. install this one instead (just modify Romir's install script with this new file name).

download romir's modified PMS.sh and PMS.conf files.

Here are the contents of my modified PMS.conf file:

thumbnails = true

alternativeffmpegpath =

mencoder_ass = true

folders = /mnt/user/TV,/mnt/user/Movies

audiobitrate = 640

mencoder_usepcm = true

mencoder_mt = true

tsmuxer_preremux_pcm = true

mencoder_remux_ac3 = true

thumbnail_seek_pos = 30

nbcores = 2

usecache = true

mencoder_encode = keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=3

i hope this helps anyone else who couldn't play MKV files

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm still not able to get subtitles to display. If i select a subtitle track from within the #--Transcode--# folder the mkv will still play normally, but the subtitles don't show up.

Here is a portion from my debug.log:

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.024 New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.024 Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.024 subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.025 New_Face failed. Maybe the font path is wrong.

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.025 Please supply the text font file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf).

[Thread-317] DEBUG 19:21:38.025 subtitle font: load_sub_face failed.

I have tried the following ideas and none have fixed my problem:

1. set "mencoder_ass = false" in PMS.conf

2. manually created folder ~/.mplayer because it did not exist, put arial.ttf in that folder and renamed it subfont.ttf. The full path is now correct after doing this and it still returns the same error

3. getting the latest fontconfig package

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thank you for this great guide. I almost got everything working on my PS3 now. The only outstanding problem is that my PS3 is not picking up any of my folders or files that contain UTF-8 character. I've tested this on PMS Windows version and it's able to pick up those UTF-8 folder and file names. Does anyone know how to enable this UTF-8 on PMS linux version?

edit: I've tried to modify the PMS.sh script to use -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 but still no luck.

There's also this from PMS.conf

charsetencoding = 850   //I think 850 is default

I've tried UTF-8 but again no luck. Does anyone know the equivalent # for UTF-8 or is there one?

I found these from the startup log:

[main] TRACE 01:02:04.769 Java 1.6.0_11-Sun Microsystems Inc.

[main] TRACE 01:02:04.769 OS Linux i386 2.6.27.7-unRAID

[main] TRACE 01:02:04.770 Encoding: ANSI_X3.4-1968

[main] TRACE 01:02:04.781 Temp folder: /tmp/javaps3media

Is there a way to change the Encoding? Windows PMS is using Cp1252 for Encoding.

thanks,

~joy

Just so you know, edits to posts are not very visible, that is, they don't 'bump' the thread to the 'Unread posts' list.  Edits do raise the NEW flag on the post, but the only users who might see that are those who might be browsing through the forums, and most of us don't do that.  I happened to see it almost by accident.

My post here *will* bump the thread, but I don't have any idea how much expertise there is here, in both PS3 *and* UTF8.  It is still a relatively small community.

• 4 weeks later...

Me and my son - well mainly my son - managed to make it working on my brand new unRaid 4.4.2 build. My son told me that the way unRaid works, it mounts the whole OS in an image and when we installed the packages required to run PMS, we in fact intalled it on a disk image and not the actual USB flash drive. In order to demonstrate that, he rebooted the server and PMS is not working anymore. I should say, he could not run mplayer when he demonstrated this fact to me.

Are we missing something here ? If not, how can we make sure we install everything on the USB drive so the we don't lose PMS every time we need to reboot this baby ?

• 1 month later...

Me and my son - well mainly my son - managed to make it working on my brand new unRaid 4.4.2 build. My son told me that the way unRaid works, it mounts the whole OS in an image and when we installed the packages required to run PMS, we in fact intalled it on a disk image and not the actual USB flash drive. In order to demonstrate that, he rebooted the server and PMS is not working anymore. I should say, he could not run mplayer when he demonstrated this fact to me.

Are we missing something here ? If not, how can we make sure we install everything on the USB drive so the we don't lose PMS every time we need to reboot this baby ?

First it's important to note that the files installed to run mplayer and ps3mediaserver are installed to your RAM. That's why the programs are gone when you reboot. The installation files will still be present on your flash drive however, assuming you followed all the directions in Romir's post (all those mencoder packages and the java package).

This means that EVERY time you reboot, the packages have to be reinstalled. The most efficient way to accomplish this is to add the installation commands into your GO script. Your go file is located on your flash drive in the CONFIG folder.

Simply paste in the installation portion of the code from Romir's instructions at the bottom of your go script, and every time your tower boots the necessary packages will be installed and ps3mediaserver will be started.

Insert the following in your go script:

cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages

installpkg jre-6u11-i586-1.tgz

cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/mencoder

installpkg *.tgz

cd /boot/custom/usr/share/packages/pms

./PMS.sh

• 4 weeks later...

2-day newb with unRAID and after about an hour, I finally got PS3MS running.

A few of the links were broken so here are the updated ones.

It's sad that I grew up with DOS but had so many issues with the shell.

Things that tripped me up:

• paths: didn't realize the root is boot/ Using Windows, I copied all my stuff into [flash drive]/boot/custom/ and on unRAID, it would be boot/boot/custom/
  • file extensions: I'm using Windows file sharing to access my server and was wondering why I kept getting the Java IO error saying it couldn't find mencoder. Turns out "MPlayer-r29301-i486-1alien" had an extension of "tgz.gz" and wasn't being installed. Check all your extensions. All the mencoder files should end in .tgz for the "installpkg *.tgz" command to run properly.
  • When you first login (on the tower or through telnet), "cd /" to return to the root [was scratching my head as to why there was only samba@ and mkcmd]

ZIPPED into a single file:

ALL LINKS (* = Updated):

I also have the ps3 media server, but i am wondering if it is possible to run everything from a MAC?

Also with the server connected to the ethernet  and my computers seeing the server, cant i just run everything from the server itself without using ps3mediaserver?