Strange problem with Areca controller and 4TB drives

I have an Areca ARC-1880IX-16 controller.  Has been working fine for years with unRAID.  It has the latest Areca firmware (V1.52 2013-08-29)

I decided to migrate to 4TB drives recently.  I added two 4TB Seagates, and set them up as passthrough drives on the Areca.  They precleared with no problems.  The Areca sees all their info properly.

When I try to add them to unRAID, they are not being recognized properly as shown in the attached image.

If I put them on a mobo port, they appear fine.

I'm on 5.0.4.  I've tried going back to 5.0 (which was the last one I had around to test with) and same thing happens.

Suggestions?

Tom, can you tell me what specific queries emhttp makes of the drives to get the model/serial for populating the GUI?  If you are using /dev/disk/by-id, what does emhttp do when there , are multiple links for a sdX device, and what does it do when a sdX device exists in /dev but has NO entry in /dev/disk/by-id?

Image1.jpg.8ecf81cf5e96a77fa751658cf9e5728e.jpg

It seems to be a peculiarity with some SATA drives behind some SAS controllers (like Areca).

Basically, the udev disk property "ID_SCSI_SERIAL" should be used in the udev "by-id" rules instead of "ID_SERIAL" when it exists.

I have modified a couple of rules in /lib/udev/rules.d/60-persistent-storage.rules so it better handles it by using ID_SCSI_SERIAL if it exists, and using "ID_SERIAL" otherwise.

As a bonus, for people with Areca controllers, you get the proper disk "model_serial" in the unRAID device selection GUI pulldown.  ;D

I'm going to test it for awhile, then share with anyone who wants it.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop the array.  Unzip and copy the attached to:

/lib/udev/rules.d/

and then run:

udevadm trigger

Then refresh the unRAID GUI, and you should see things correctly for drives behind Areca SAS controllers in the GUI for drive pulldowns. 

You can then put the above commands in your go script, and change the drive selection in the GUI and save them, or just reboot without saving new drive assignments and it should all go back to original.

60-persistent-storage.zip

Thanks.  IIRC, the ARC-1170 is direct SATA, and not SATA behind SAS.  When you do smartctl, does it show it as SATA or FC?

What does udevadm info show for one of the drives using:

udevadm info --query=property --name=/dev/sdX

Here's what returned:

UDEV_LOG=3

DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:02/0000:02:02.0/0000:03:0e.0/host1/target1:0:1/1:0:1:0/block/sda

MAJOR=8

MINOR=0

DEVNAME=/dev/sda

DEVTYPE=disk

SUBSYSTEM=block

ID_SCSI=1

ID_VENDOR=Seagate

ID_VENDOR_ENC=Seagate\x20

ID_MODEL=ST4000DM000-1F21

ID_MODEL_ENC=ST4000DM000-1F21

ID_REVISION=R001

ID_TYPE=disk

ID_SERIAL=20004d927859eb810

ID_SERIAL_SHORT=0004d927859eb810

ID_SCSI_SERIAL=******** (masked)

ID_BUS=scsi

ID_PATH=pci-0000:03:0e.0-scsi-0:0:1:0

ID_PART_TABLE_TYPE=gpt

DEVLINKS=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-20004d927859eb810 /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:03:0e.0-scsi-0:0:1:0