Which distro for the new x64 unRAID project?

From another thread...

... I will go ahead post a link with an ISO of the Distro that you all choose (with unRAID "baked" in) and all the documentation / guides / screenshots / walkthroughs on how to install / configure / use it. It will have all the things we / I have talked about in this thread enabled, ready to go and torture tested.

If somebody would be so kind to start a new poll with the various Linux Server Distros... Whatever wins is what I create the ISO for.

Tell him what you want.

*lionelhutz  -  I prefer that you don't participate in this thread.  Thank you.

I would vote for whichever one that Tom chooses to provide support and development for. I paid Tom for a license, I want to be able to get support from him if needed.

Then I guess you are going to have to wait for him to release that.

You do realize that since 2006 (8 years) that Tom has a whooping total of 380 posts in the Support forum and the other 65,698+ are from the rest of us, right?

Hope if you have problems you receive his 381 post.

I do want to point this out and make you aware...

If CentOS wins out... I will wait a month or so until CentOS 7 is released. Since Red Hat / CentOS are ditching Sysvinit for systemd... It will make my life / yours easier with that upgrade (it's a big one) by just waiting a few more weeks.

Here is why...

CentOS is 100% compatible rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise and typically is released a month or so after Red Hat releases theirs.

Red Hat is currently in Beta with 7.0 (which is based / derived from Fedora 19 their Development Distro) and their Betas typically last for a month or so. There are A LOT of changes, systemd (which is awesome), jumping from the Linux Kernel 2.6 Series all the way to to the 3.10 series and a lot of other changes worth having an initial release based on.

I would vote for whichever one that Tom chooses to provide support and development for. I paid Tom for a license, I want to be able to get support from him if needed.

You do realize that since 2006 (8 years) that Tom has a whooping total of 380 posts in the Support forum and the other 65,698+ are from the rest of us, right?

Hope if you have problems you receive his 381 post.

when you put it into context like that..

you have a damn good point :o

when you put it into context like that..

you have a damn good point :o

Those stats excluded the email support tom provides when there are serious support issues that do require his involvement, in particular data loss.  I've never seen tom react slowly when someone was in serious trouble! but he always prefers to deal in email.

here here

the forum has NEVER been the official support channel that has ALWAYS been email and there are rarely complaints about that.

Posting otherwise is just plain wrong and to be fair a tad manipulative to a specific end. Bad show that man.

Those stats excluded the email support tom provides when there are serious support issues that do require his involvement, in particular data loss.  I've never seen tom react slowly when someone was in serious trouble! but he always prefers to deal in email.

This coming from one of the 2 or 3 people I was referring too in another thread.

Tom doesn't have 5 minutes to post / police his own forum and now I suppose to believe the reason we don't hear from him for weeks / months he busy helping customers with support issues?

Yeah... Right.

This coming from one of the 2 or 3 people I was referring too in another thread.

Tom doesn't have 5 minutes to post / police his own forum and now I suppose to believe the reason we don't hear from him for weeks / months he busy helping customers with support issues?

Yeah... Right.

Do you have any evidence to suggest Tom doesn't provide email support for his product ? 

with opinions like this debate is a lost cause.

that's unfortunate.

hopefully after sense prevails we can get back to the fun stuff of actually doing stuff rather than debating like none of us have any real experience of anything.

On that note i suggest none and slackware and ubuntu are added to the poll list

I see you dogded the question.  Simple yes or no, do you have evidence to support your claim that Tom doesn't support unRAID users when they need support ?

Do you have evidence that he does?

Yes

I'm not debating this with you.

Asking a simple yes or no question is hardly a debate but I can understand why you want to avoid the question.  Your statement that Tom fails to provide adequate support for his product is baseless.

People can decide / determine this for themselves.

They sure can.

that's unfortunate.

hopefully after sense prevails we can get back to the fun stuff of actually doing stuff rather than debating like none of us have any real experience of anything.

WHY DON'T YOU OR TOM DEAL WITH THIS?

I have been nothing but patient but the attacks continue for DAYS and DAYS.

but he always prefers to deal in email.

I truthfully and honestly didn't know that was his method of support (though it is logical). I was aware this forums wasn't official support, but the people here are very helpful and therefore never found a reason to ever email Tom. That said I wouldn't really know what he is supporting, since the only official product is bare unRAID, no plugins and a fair portion of the users here are no where near stock, including me. I also find it a lot more constructive to post issues and solutions to the forum which allows everyone to benefit from the solution/information and also allows users to find out if others are having similar issues. The more questions that are answered out in the open, the less email support would have to be done.

do you have evidence to support your claim that Tom doesn't support unRAID users when they need support ?

In my opinion its not that he doesn't support users at all its just that the community on the forum's do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to supporting the user base.

I'm good at the patience thing, I'm still running 4.7 because it works. I use virtualbox to run several VM's, performance is acceptable, so I see no need to move to a new way of doing things right away. I'm fine waiting until the dust settles, and a stable solution emerges. The last thing I want to do is start a weekly or monthly drill of installing the latest and greatest, I have a life to live. My technology is supposed to make my life more enjoyable, not create more stress.

]I'm good at the patience thing, I'm still running 4.7 because it works. I use virtualbox to run several VM's, performance is acceptable, so I see no need to move to a new way of doing things right away. I'm fine waiting until the dust settles, and a stable solution emerges. The last thing I want to do is start a weekly or monthly drill of installing the latest and greatest, I have a life to live. My technology is supposed to make my life more enjoyable, not create more stress.

You are Tom's target audience/customer and I suspect there are many like you.

that's unfortunate.

WHY DON'T YOU OR TOM DEAL WITH THIS?

I have been nothing but patient but the attacks continue for DAYS and DAYS.

In simple terms this forum is the community side of things. None of the mods have any financial or corporate tie to Limetech LLC.

We cannot speak for unRAID no matter how many times you shout about it.

Tom is allowed to go away for months if he likes this is the community portal not the commercial one. if you want a response email him but accept people have commitments outwith yours.

As for the attacks. Its the internet suck it up. As far as I know only 1 person ever has been banned or silenced hard because in general people are adult about things and work it out. Lets try that first.

You probably wont like that but its the reality. I man come on its only day 2 of the work year.

As for the attacks. Its the internet suck it up.

I wonder why the Mods are here then.

To keep the various discussions contained to the specified areas. A place for everything, and everything in its place. Even bad blood and arguments have a place, and as long as it stays topical in the thread, there is no need to censor it away. This forum is still a very useful place to get help and information, so the mods are doing their jobs properly right now. If you don't want to read these threads that are filled with dissension and vitriol, you don't have to.

Quote from Tom:

From here on out I have a zero-tolerance for any kind of personal attacks anywhere on this forum.  The new rule is this: if anyone complains about a poster to myself or a moderator, and I or the moderator see the complaint is justified, then immediately that poster will be given a minimum 3-day ban and sent a notice saying this bullshit is not tolerated and an apology is required.  If they don't apologize, then their entire account including all posts will be deleted.  I don't care if they've been on the forum for 6 months or 6 years.  No more childish B.S. is tolerated - go to reddit for that.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28043.msg248080.msg#248080

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

We thought about this but both sides were liable for bans under a strict interpretation. Who would that benefit? Certainly not the community.

Also threads were getting self deleted by posters making it much harder to be fair since the evidence and the timeline was being altered in a one sided fashion.

But I have real work, a real family and real commitments. Far to many to keep up with this nonsense.

As for the attacks. Its the internet suck it up.

The personal attacks are not permitted on XBMC, Arch, Ubuntu, Plex, etc.

Funny how a product you don't have to pay for doesn't tolerate it but one you do (unRAID)... you do.

Again, it's a symptom of the overall disease.

Which is, Tom is not engaged / supporting / an active participate on his own forum for his paying customers.

He is free to run his business the way he sees fit but I suspect there is going to be a MASS EXODUS and a lot of EXPERTS, GURUS, CONTRIBUTORS, DEVELOPERS are going to leave and create a huge vacuum that based on Tom's long history he is able or would not even attempt to fill.

Simply put...

His business is on the line and still all we hear is crickets. If he doesn't care about his business to take 5 minutes to deal with issues... why would I or anyone else thinks he cares about his paying customers?

We all work / deal / interact with a variety of companies for insurance, electronics, gadgets, lawn care, cars service, etc. and do not often find ourselves on the receiving end of such treatment. If we do, it's not often that we continue to reward those companies with our hard earned dollars when they are giving us the middle finger.

But I have real work, a real family and real commitments. Far to many to keep up with this nonsense.

I'm not surprised.

To your credit, you do support and respond to users and help wherever you can and you do this without being compensated and on your own free time. Which is still 1,000 times more so than Tom ever has.

The problem is... Tom has the same sentiments and can't be bothered by his paying customers. I wonder how long that will continue if people have an alternate choice and his wallet starts to feel the pain. If so, will it be too late?