I know nothing...here's what I'm thinking of building.

craenor23

Tell me where I'm being an idiot, please...

First, my objective. I have about 13TB of distributed storage on my network. It's spread across numerous Consumer NAS devices, PCs, USB drives, etc. I want to consolidate all of this into an unRAID server that I intend to start with 5x 4TB drives. But I want to be able to grow it from there for years to come.

Here's my I've selected so far.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2A9ir

Excellent CPU and case, but I have questions about just about everything else.

The motherboard is both overkill (you don't need the EATX form factor nor the extra slots); and also doesn't support ECC memory, which is a good idea for a server.

I'd use something like this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182822

As I just noted, I'd use a motherboard that supports ECC memory, and then you'd want something like this for your memory:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239117

Not sure why you're buying a small WD Blue series drive.  I'm definitely not a fan of the Blue series drives - I've seen far more problems with them than the higher-end units.  I assume the plan is to make this a cache drive -- if so, go with a WD Black, or spring for an SSD.

For the data drives, I'd use NAS-quality units ... Seagate NAS units or WD Reds.  You don't need 7200rpm units ... the NAS units spin at 5900 (Seagate) or 5400 (WD), and are plenty fast enough for UnRAID while also drawing far less power and running notably cooler.

The Corsair CX series power supplies are their lowest-quality units .. I do NOT recommend them.  If you like Corsair, buy a TX or better series (HX is superb) ... or get a Seasonic X series.  In addition, 500w is too small if you plan to grow to the capacity of that excellent Lian-Li case.    I'd get a 650 or 750w unit.

This is great feedback. I'll make those changes to my plans...I was thinking about upgrading to an SSD anyway, and the ECC memory and server MB just makes sense.

I didn't know that about the power supplies, I just sorted by most good reviews, so I'll grab a better quality one, but I like Corsair as well.

I actually thought that those Seagate 4TB drives I selected are NAS drives. Are they not?

Edit: Looks like PCPartPicker has them labeled as 7200rpm, but those are 5900rpm NAS drives.

have couple of questions and a suggestion based on possible answers.

1. do you plan to only run an UnRaid on the server ? (as in bare metal unRaid file server.)

2. can you use a rack-mount case?

3. do you have any plans for virtualization in near future?

4. is noise level a deal breacker for you?

here is why:

if you do not plan to go virtual in the nearest future and will run unraid baremetal

and not oposed to use rack-mount case

you can get a full system from TAMs for under $500 shipped.

it is an off-lease real server hardware where you can just add your Hard drives and set it up in about 30 min flat.

the usual set includes

a supermicro 24 hard drive hot-swap case with caddies.

a supermicro server grade MB with  dual core or quad core CPU (they have both Intel and AMD models)

and MB support for 2 CPUs

8GB ECC RAM

3- 8 SATA ports  SAS cards (the real SATA ports not SAS that needs a breakout cables)

the downside is:

1. it is not new it is used hardware, it comes in nice and clean (I got the server with all the protective plastic all over the palce)

2. it is a bit noisy. (but you can replace the fans and PSU as needed adn still be under 2K level)

3. since  the hardware is older it does not support virtualization needed to run unraid in VM (or at least it is a real work out to do so.)

there are talks in here to develop a full distro unRaid that you will be able to use bare metal and run KVM/XEN virtualization natively that would solve the virtualization support issue but will it come to live is still a question.

have couple of questions and a suggestion based on possible answers.

1. do you plan to only run an UnRaid on the server ? (as in bare metal unRaid file server.)

2. can you use a rack-mount case?

3. do you have any plans for virtualization in near future?

4. is noise level a deal breacker for you?

1. Yes.

2. Unfortunately, no - this has to fit somewhere in my living room. 

3. None, this is pure storage for my media, files, etc.

4. Not particularly.

It's a great thought, and I can do some investigating to see how I'd fit a rack-mounted system into my living room. But ideally, I just want a nice box-like case that I can shove under a desk, connect to my network, and serve all of the systems on my LAN.

The TAM's servers are a good deal on old hardware ... but I would personally NOT use one.

They're VERY noisy (most users have replaced the fans and made other modifications to silence them);  use a lot more power than a more modern Haswell based system;  require a nice rack to really mount nicely (this alone easily costs more than any cost-savings from using them);  etc.

IMHO they're not a bad deal for a 2nd backup-only server that's going to be turned on once/week or once/month to sync with your main server and is located in a "who cares" area with regards to noise level (e.g. a basement or garage).

By the way, with regards to your case ... the Lian-Li D8000 is a GREAT choice for a case that can grow to a maximum drive complement for UnRAID.    It's BIG ... but easy to work with, and very easy to move around on its rollers.

But consider how many drives you're realistically likely to "grow" to.  With modern 4TB drives, you can build a 40TB system with 11 drives ... and very soon that will be 50TB when WD releases their 5TB units (hopefully very soon, as they were supposed to be available by the "end of 2013").

There are several very good cases that are smaller than the D8000 that you may want to consider.  I like just about all of the Lian-Li cases -- I've built a LOT of systems with various versions of their full-tower cases.  My two favorites are the D8000 you've listed and the PC-80B, which has superb cooling for the drives with its 3 door-mounted front fans.

But recently I've been very impressed with the Fractal Design cases, so you may want to look at these as well ...

(a)  The Fractal Design Define R4 is a excellent choice for up to 11 drives.  It has 8 very easy-to-use drive bays internally; and 2 5.25" bays that will accommodate a 3-in-2 cage.  It's also designed for silence ... and is indeed VERY quiet.  Almost certainly the quietest system you could build with 11 drives spinning inside.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994150

I've used this case for two recent builds, and was very impressed with the build quality for such a low-cost case.

(b)  The Fractal Design Define XL R2 is apparently a "big brother" to the R4.  It's also got 8 internal bays; but has 4 5.25" slots, so you could use 2 of the 3-in-2 cages ... easily growing to 14 drives altogether.    This would give you a capacity of 52TB (4TB drives) or 65TB (5TB drives).  I have NOT used this case, but I suspect it's as well made as the R4.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352030

©  The Fractal Design Define XL is the "biggest brother" in this series.  It has 10 internal drive bays; and 4 5.25" slots ... so with 2 3-in-2 cages it would accommodate 16 drives.  With 5TB drives, this would support a 75TB build !!  (or 70TB if Limetech implements dual parity, which I'd REALLY like to see).  I have also NOT used this case (yet) ... but it's high on my list for a future build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352018

Note that if you used a full ATX motherboard with 8 SATA ports, then with a single 8-port add-in card you'll have support for 16 drives.

So something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182830

with a Lian-Li PC-80B or a Fractal Design Define XL would let you build a very nice 16-drive system that would likely provide all the storage you'll need for years to come.

The TAM's servers are a good deal on old hardware ... but I would personally NOT use one.

They're VERY noisy (most users have replaced the fans and made other modifications to silence them);  use a lot more power than a more modern Haswell based system;  require a nice rack to really mount nicely (this alone easily costs more than any cost-savings from using them);  etc.

IMHO they're not a bad deal for a 2nd backup-only server that's going to be turned on once/week or once/month to sync with your main server and is located in a "who cares" area with regards to noise level (e.g. a basement or garage).

you are absolutely right on many things , hence why I asked what the OP plans and must haves are.

however the nice case that can fit 24 drives (not actually host, but just have enough space bays to hold them  ) cost over $100.(the one that OP selected is $339)

add to that all the additional hardware you need to put 24 drives into it and you can easily go well beyond $200-$300 just for that.

with TAMs (even if throgh away all insides ) you get a ServerGrade hotswap capable case with backplane and all the caddies that you can set up ,plug all the drive  in  and turn on  for around $400.

now if noise is an issue for around $100 and 30 min you can replace all the fans inside with a low noise fans and put in a regular ATX  80+ PSU and it will be quite.

granted the case is not very nice to look at (it is a server rack mount case after all)

but for OP, it is a saving of about  $500 which is  some pocket change :-)

what OP is missing from the list is that he needs the unRaid license which is an additional $70 for Plus or 120 for Pro

when I got my setup, I kind missed that fact that it is not VM capable.  which was the whole point of the upgrade for me.

but if my plans were like OPs it would have been a perfect solution.

I still am trying to get what I want from the box, I'll bet it will be more difficult for me then it should have been but I have hope.

with TAMs (even if throgh away all insides ) you get a ServerGrade hotswap capable case with backplane and all the caddies that you can set up ,plug all the drive  in  and turn on  for around $400.

... except, of course, that to make it cosmetically nice you need a rack  :)

... which easily costs as much as the TAMs unit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816129088

no arguments here :-0

although you don't really need a rack.

I have seen a table from IKEA that fits 19 rack mounts very well ,

cost around $40-$50 and doubles as a journal table. :-D

Yes, I've seen the "LackRack's"  (Ikea "Lack" tables used to mount rack gear in).

They DO work ... but access is a PITA (the gear can be mounted in them; but not with rails).  As long as you don't need to access your system; and make RARE changes to the setup, I suppose it's okay.    Personally, if I wanted to use rack-mount gear, I'd spring for a nice rack.

I don't know if you decided to change the motherboard or not. In case you have not:

[*]I agree it is a serious overkill. Most of this mobo's extreme capabilities will just go to waste.

[*]While pcpartpciker states the part list as "compatible", I'm not sure that's quite correct. The onboard video on that mobo is dependent on a CPU with Intel HD graphics, which the 1230v3 is not. If you keep that mobo, suggest you switch to the 1225v3, which does have the Intel graphics support.

All in all, I would suggest you take a look at the Supermicro X10SL7. Has 14 HDD ports on board, IPMI (i.e. easy to run headless), ECC memory support, and works well with the 1230v3 (this is actually the combination I have).

I'm just adding non specific .02 here.....

When I first read about unraid, I thought the idea of being able to mix and match as many (up to 24) hdds was awesome, and I would totally do that.

In practice, once I actually built one past the initial 3hdd setup, I have found that I just can't fill up the hdds as fast as I thought (I currently have 7 TB useable space, 2tb parity, 3x2tb & 1 1tb).

You note that you have a bunch of storage already, so you have an idea how much you'll need moving forward.

So, my .02 here is, if you are willing to buy 4TB hdds, and get 5 or 6 of them (6 hdds, less one for parity is still about 20TB of useable space), do you really think you'll need to add a lot more hdds any time soon? Keep in mind, that it might be just as easy to buy some 5/6/etc TB drives, and replace the drives you have in a few years as opposed to just adding hdds for the sake of adding hdds.

If you COULD do this, have a look at some of the SFF builds in this forum (like the landfill one) and see if that is something you'd really like sitting in your living room as opposed to a full tower $340 case.

The only reason I haven't already done this, is that i'm using older hardware, and it will not fit in a mITX case. If I ever buy new server hardware, I'm pretty sure i'll be going DOWN in footprint, but up in hdd space.

Very good point 00b5.  With the constantly increasing capacity of HDD's you can put some serious storage in a SFF case.  When I built Landfill I started with 7TB of protected storage (2x 3tb and 2x 2TB drives), and I'm only at about 50% utilization so far.  Granted I didn't have 13TB of existing stuff, but I did have about 2TB.  This server is actively downloading stuff on a daily basis (Sickbeard, mainly TV shows at 720p), and backups of all the other PC's in the house, and I still have 3.6TB free.  Point being, unless you are doing lots of full uncrompressed Blu-ray rips, or other MASSIVE files, it fills up a lot slower than you think it would.  I would never have guessed that after 14 months I'd still have less than 50% of the storage consumed.

Anyway, point being, with the SFF case such as I used, you can fit (at a maximum) 7x 3.5" drives and 1x 2.5" drive.  If you were to use a laptop spinner or an SSD for cache (assuming you even use one), that leaves you 7 drives for storage/parity.  Using 4TB drives, that's 24TB protected storage.  With the soon to arrive 5TB drives, that's 30TB of storage.  All in a very small, unobtrusive, good looking, and extremely quiet case.

I certainly agree that the Lian-Li PC-Q25B is a great choice for an UnRAID "Plus" system, if you're okay with its drive limits.    I wrote an entire thread about builds with that case:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29670.0

If the SFF works for your needs, that's definitely what I'd use.  Otherwise, look at the Fractal Design cases I noted above -- they're also VERY quiet and can hold appreciably more drives if you think you'll need them.

Lots of good things to think about here. I'm still a few months away from starting my build (April/May timeframe).

I do have 13TB of existing storage, and it is mostly full - in fact, I'm deleting stuff.

Also, I'm looking for a solution that can last me for many years with the ability to just add/replace parts as they age or as more storage is needed.

I'll check out the FD cases too. I've heard good things.

Regarding motherboard, at this point I'm pretty much sold on a more server-centric motherboard which supports ECC RAM.

I don't mind investing more up front so I have years of reliability, flexibility, and capacity. I actually only recently came around to deciding on unRAID. My original plan was to drop a few grand on controller cards, but don't get me wrong, money is definitely a concern. :)

...look at the Fractal Design cases I noted above -- they're also VERY quiet and can hold appreciably more drives if you think you'll need them.

I just checked out the FD cases, and I have to say - I like the ARC XL. I mainly like it because it not only has the 8x 3.5 bays, and the 4x 5.25 (allowing me to put in 14 drives), but it also has two dedicated 2.5" SSD slots behind the motherboard plate. So I could have a cache drive without taking up an HD slot.

I sort of preferred the Define XL with the 10 bays, but it looks to be discontinued - though I may still be able to find one.

Archived