S3 & WOL

I remember in the past that I have to add a kernel settings to the syslinux.cfg file.  I dif a quick Googling and found some information...

I do not use it right now. I will give it a try this evening

Parameter

acpi_sleep=s3_bios

From my head I think it should be something like this

append initrd=/bzroot acpi_sleep=s3_bios

Description

makes the system call the video BIOS to reenable video on resume from suspend-to-ram (use this if you experience a blank display after resume while your system seems elsewise awake

//Peter

I too am having problems to resume from sleep. I didn't test it out in unRAID 4.7 but sleep and resume work fine under Windows 8 with the same hardware. Apart from not getting any video, my NIC doesn't respond either.

On the slackwiki I read that you have to append the drive to resume from to the append parameter. Since unRAID uses a ramdiskhttp://www.slackwiki.com/Hibernate I assume you have to fill in the location of the ramdisk. Question is, what's it called?

I'm not even sure I need to add this or if this is going to help, just trying stuff out TBH. Would installing pm-utils be necessary?

For editing syslinux.cfg? No code experience needed for that at all.

Just connect to your flash drive over the network or power down and plug it in another PC. Open syslinux.cfg (in the syslinux folder) from your unRAID flash drive and add the option in the append line so it looks like this:

append initrd=/bzroot acpi_sleep=s3_bios

Reboot our unRAID box and test sleep. That's it.

BTW, forget about the rambling in my previous post. That applies to hibernation not sleep.

Thanks for your advise but I still don't have a video signal after wake up command. below is the script using notepad2. I add api_sleep+s3_bios to the first "append initrd=bzroot". Was this the correct thing to do or should I have a complete new line for this?

default menu.c32

menu title Lime Technology LLC

prompt 0

timeout 50

label unRAID OS

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot acpi_sleep=s3_bios

label unRAID OS (Safe Mode)

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot unraidsafemode

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

Interesting. Now that I have more time to mess with S3 sleep I have found that not only don't have video connected to server that I can't access IPaddress/Main remotely.

What becomes more interesting is that I do have access with unMenu to server as well I can use shell in a Box as well as Putty remotely.

"EDIT" Just done a reboot and tried the S3 then wake up and it does break the Dynamic Web GUI. This is using the original non modified syslinux.cfg file. I have not tried the modified file as I have not received response to question on entering the "acpi_sleep=s3_bios" to the file.

Thanks

I went to the internet to do some reading on it and it sounds like vbetool is a good direction to resolve my problem. Keeping in mind that I am a plug & Play type of guy, If it is not a plugin or package I tend to be lost as far as execution.

I downloaded and extracted vbetool to Flash as this is as far as I know to go.

Thanks

Oh...it's not that bad. After you wake just login(telnet or ssh) run vbetool post on the command line and hopefully your monitor will display something. If that works you can add it to your post wake up script.

I went to the internet to do some reading on it and it sounds like vbetool is a good direction to resolve my problem. Keeping in mind that I am a plug & Play type of guy, If it is not a plugin or package I tend to be lost as far as execution.

I downloaded and extracted vbetool to Flash as this is as far as I know to go.

Thanks

Could it be realted:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31413.msg284145#msg284145 ?

It is such a popular mb in the unraid community, it is even one of the official mb's from lime-tech. I just can't imagine that no one else is reporting similarly problems. I know that many of you running the servers 24/7 but for me it is not necessary, I need access to my data only when I use my htpc.

Could it be realted:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31413.msg284145#msg284145 ?

It is such a popular mb in the unraid community, it is even one of the official mb's from lime-tech. I just can't imagine that no one else is reporting similarly problems. I know that many of you running the servers 24/7 but for me it is not necessary, I need access to my data only when I use my htpc.

Keep in mind that S3 sleep and WOL are not officially supported by Limetech.

It is a feature available in the linux kernel, but no guarantees!

Keep in mind that S3 sleep and WOL are not officially supported by Limetech.

It is a feature available in the linux kernel, but no guarantees!

Yeah, I know that and I wonder why it is not officially supported, is there any particular reason? I thought unraid is mainly designed as a data storage for home users. Why should it be 24h on, when I use it only 6h a day? Good that the S3 script from you has an option to power-down instead of sleep, with SMCIPMITool I can turn on my server with a command also from G2 (S5) state. 

foofighter gave you a source for vbetool. I believe the version you want for unRAID 5.05 is the one for Slackware 13.1

vbetool-1.1-i486-1

Slackware-13.1 / slackware.com   

That said, I've been following this discussion and trying the suggestions, also without success.

I have the same issue with video following wake from S3 sleep, with unRAID 5.x, but in my case it was concurrent with a new motherboard, so I've been blaming the issue on the motherboard, not strictly on unRAID 5.x.

However I had already been able to solve the issue (for the most part) using a package called s2ram, that was first discussed on the forum years ago. The vbetool package is included in s2ram. s2ram requires initiating sleep via the s2ram command - which would require a modification of the sleep script in Dynamix or using a separate sleep script incorporating the s2ram command. And it requires experimenting with various s2ram parameters to find those that work with your hardware and also installation of the libx86 package (as does vbetool).

Documention for s2ram.

Google for other sources.