SOLVED: All files appear as hidden

All files on the samba shares appear as hidden files. I have made a point to check the that the export method is only "read/write" and not "read/write,hidden"

I have my windows machines set up to show hidden files, but that's beside the point. I would like for the files to show up properly.

I am running version 4.4.2 of unRaid. I have made no manual changes to any config file.

What can I do to have all files show normally (unhidden). Is there something simple that I missed that makes all shares hidden?

All files on the samba shares appear as hidden files. I have made a point to check the that the export method is only "read/write" and not "read/write,hidden"

I have my windows machines set up to show hidden files, but that's beside the point. I would like for the files to show up properly.

I am running version 4.4.2 of unRaid. I have made no manual changes to any config file.

What can I do to have all files show normally (unhidden). Is there something simple that I missed that makes all shares hidden?

You need to set your windows explorer settings to show hidden and system files.

I have set up "system and hidden files" to show the files.

That's not the point.

Is that the way unRAID was meant to work? Then why is there an option for "read/write" and "read/write,hidden" if all files are hidden anyway?

If configured as "read/write hidden" then the share will not be show in your PC's network neighborhood or on the list of possible shared folders on the listing in your network media player.

I have my " disk " shares exported as read/write, but hidden.  I can write directly to them if I use their full path in file-explorer.  They do not show up on my media player's screen.  It just shows the shares that are not hidden.  (Don't confuse file visibility in windows explorer with share visibility on the network)

I just noticed something.

The files I've been adding to the unRaid system for the past little while are not showing up as hidden.

Only the files that were originally copied over from my old server show up as hidden. Everything else created since then show up as not-hidden.

What qualifies a file as hidden in a windows environment?

Solved.

Something must have happened when I initially copied all the files over to the unRaid machine, where the "hidden" flag was set to all the files.

I ended up installing a program called "Filo" on a windows machine, and reset the attributes of all the files and folders so that they would not be hidden anymore.

This wasn't an issue with unRaid. It was with the files themselves.

Anyway, hope this helps others.

glad you got it fixed.  I recently had this same problem. Had i seen this thread earlier i would have given my advice.  It turned out to be the same problem for me.  Somehow the files were not showing up over the network, even thought the permissions for the files were set to read, write, execute for everyone.  I did some investigating and it turned out that some of the files had different permissions.  All i had to do was figure out how to set the needed permissions for the files and all was golden after that.