Moving unraid to ESXi, Fist steps, vmdk method, noob involved.

dikkiedirk

I have a unraid server running on a SuperMicro X8SIL-F mainbord with X3460 CPU and 8 GB memory. Recently I moved the disks off the onboard SATA ports to a flashed to IT M1015 because I am planning to run unraid as a vmdk in ESXi. Following Johnm's Atlas thread I installed ESXi, which went pretty well. I now want to turn my unraid configuration in a vmdk and need guidance on how to do that. I also need to put the M1015 in pass through beforehand. Can someone give some step by step instructions?

Edit: please keep posts civil.

Ironicbadger

Whatever! Instead of deleting my post (censorship??) it would be more helpful if you anwered my question.

The same goes for the person who told me that this question doen't belong here.

My original question was NOT placed here by me but moved here by another moderator.

I hope this is CIVIL enough, don't want to step on anyones toes, others might be offended. Then again, I am Dutch and don't know how to put it politely.

Didn't really understand "I now want to turn my unraid configuration in a vmdk and need guidance on how to do that" but the following is assuming "I now want to turn my unraid configuration into a vmdk and need guidance on how to do that".

The way I setup my VMDK for unRAID boot device was to create a 1GB empty VMDK and attached it to a Windows VM.  Then I formatted it as FAT32 in Windows and a label of "UNRAID".  Then I copied the unRAID install files to it and ran MakeBootable.bat.  I did have to add the "f" to the command as it wasn't on the syslinux command by default but I think it is with 6.0.  Then when I was done I copied the whole unRAID flash drive to it (which isn't necessary just the config directory and not all of it either).  I like to keep the VMDK and flash drive in sync.  After that was done I shutdown the Windows VM and detached the vmdk and the unRAID flash drive and attached them to my unRAID VM and booted the VM.  Note I did setup pass through on my M1015 in ESXi before I booted.  But that was all I did to get my system virtualized.

Didn't really understand "I now want to turn my unraid configuration in a vmdk and need guidance on how to do that" but the following is assuming "I now want to turn my unraid configuration into a vmdk and need guidance on how to do that".

The way I setup my VMDK for unRAID boot device was to create a 1GB empty VMDK and attached it to a Windows VM.  Then I formatted it as FAT32 in Windows and a label of "UNRAID".  Then I copied the unRAID install files to it and ran MakeBootable.bat.  I did have to add the "f" to the command as it wasn't on the syslinux command by default but I think it is with 6.0.  Then when I was done I copied the whole unRAID flash drive to it (which isn't necessary just the config directory and not all of it either).  I like to keep the VMDK and flash drive in sync.  After that was done I shutdown the Windows VM and detached the vmdk and the unRAID flash drive and attached them to my unRAID VM and booted the VM.  Note I did setup pass through on my M1015 in ESXi before I booted.  But that was all I did to get my system virtualized.

Thanks, very helpful!! It shows that English isn't my native language. Excuse me for that.

Right now unraid is running in ESXi using the "plop method". I will try your method this weekend I hope. I also have a Win7 VM running and the M1015 is passed through too.

Archived