Integrate with XBOX360

I did a search and there was a discussion about this topic, but it was back in 2006, so I'm hoping no one minds if I open this up again.  I'm curious how people use unraid to serve content to their xbox360.  I have done some research and it looks like some people use TVERSITY on a pc to stream content to the 360 (note, I'm not talking about XBMC on an XBOX or anything like that).  However, that seems like a pretty roundabout way of doing things.  It looks like the 360 can play files encoded using h.264, but I have already encoded a lot of content using the mkv container (which the xbox360 does not support) (yes, I do understand the difference between the encoding and the container, but in this case, XBOX360 doesn't support my container, so same result), so I might have to transcode them (which would be a bummer) or let TVERSITY transcode them at runtime (although I can imagine that I would have to upgrade the RAM in my PC from 1 to 2 GB).

Or, is there anything native that can run on unraid.  I went out of my way to make sure that the unraid hardware was beefier than it would need to be, so I would have no problem running something on that hardware if the XBX360 could connect directly to the unraid box and have something that does the equivalent of what TVERSITY is doing.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Chris

In my experience, TVERSITY and programs of the like, and reencoding on the fly with high bitrate, high resolution .mkvs don't serve the content well. Some have finally got it down and working well, others don't have it. After debating on reencoding my media, modding my 360, I decided there was no point to lose quality, waste time reencoding, or dealing with TVERSITY issues.

You would definitely be correct in wanting at least 2gb of RAM, would make things much easier on the system.

IMO I'd just recommend a media PC. I think you'd be happier in the long run. I dealt with the BS of all of it for over a year, jumped the gun, am running Plex (a port of XBMC) and couldn't be happier. (Although I still serve my Music to my Xbox 360 through my server, always nice during games.)

No, you can't.

I've had to run a windows media center pc just to be able to import the files from unraid. Required a bit of finagling but I got it to work.

So the only thing you can do here is:

A. Use Tiversity

B. Use a media center extender

C. Get a media pc and put it in place and have it stream data live.

There is no way to get unraid configured for native upnp sync up or MCE adoption on this device unless you do a full slackware install and configure it from there.