error 0x8007045d i/o device error {SOLVED}

past couple days ive been getting an error trying to put a large file onto my server. I believe its only happening when i transfer to the server not from the server. I have 3.27TB of space free. this happened after I was playing around with my ethernet port changing the speed & duplex from Auto Negotiation to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex as well as playing around with the Jumbo Frames (my goal was to try and increase the transfer speed) I have since put them back to default) the error remains. I tried restarting the server but didnt make a difference. Syslog attached

syslog-2014-03-03.txt

Ummm...sorry I can't test this on my Mac, but I think what you can try in Windows is either of:

A.

get the Properties for your C:/ drive.

As I recall, there's a tab for 'maintenance' or 'utilities'.

There should then be a button about 1/2 down the dialog box to Fix or Troubleshoot or Repair the DISK.

Click that.

You'll get a box that sizes it can't run because the disk is the OS, BUT it can be run upon next restart...click 'yes' and restart your PC.

B.

Maybe, (again from memory) If you can run the chkdsk program itself on the C:/ and it says its mounted and has the OS, again click 'Yes' to run on restart. Then restart.

Actually heres my setup....my C drive is a brand new (less than 2 months SSD drive) During installation of Windows 8 I was able to migrate my user folder to a new WD black 2tb hdd  (also less than 2 months old) so technically the file(s) im trying to transfer off my desktop actually sits on my D drive (HDD) i did do a check disk on both the drives. Maybe the HDD is failing even though its new im not sure?

Ran a few different programs to try and check the smart status. the D drive which has my user folder is running warmer than the SSD maybe thats just part of HDD vs SSD i dont really know. But heres a couple logs and a screen shot. Im also running one of the programs error scan to see what it comes up with. Thanks again!

DriveInfo.zip

Your UnRAID server appears to be fine, no issues in the syslog.  The error you got (as others have said) is a Windows issue, almost certainly with the drive containing the large file you tried to transfer.  The drive info files you attached all show a Current Pending Sector on drive D:, so there is a bad sector on the drive, and it is probably the one causing the trouble.  Please try to do a Check Disk on that drive, making sure to check all the boxes, especially the one that will say something like "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

Another option, if you have another copy of the file, try copying it over the one that you have been trying to transfer.

If you still think it might be an issue with UnRAID, try the same transfer that has been failing to another drive on your Windows machine, or at least another folder on the same machine.  It should fail with the same error.

Hey RobJ

Thanks for input and suggestions. Since everyone has pointed it out and from what im seeing. I dont think it has to do with Unraid Server any longer because I have already done what you suggested. I tried copying the same file to an external HDD and it fails with error.

In windows 8 when i right click on the drive and go to tools to do the scan it no longer has the check mark boxes it just does a scan within Windows and says if there are errors or not.

Would defraging the disk do anything? thanks again

That clearly is only doing the file system scan, and not the full disk media surface scan.  Try the procedure found hereDisclaimer: it's not something I've tried myself with Win 8, and I don't know the people behind this web site, but they appear legit and the procedure sound correct, consistent with all earlier Win versions.

Don't bother with defragging.  It rarely does anything useful, and should never be used on a drive that is questionable.

ill take a look at that later im currently doing chkdsk /r via command prompt through advanced settings from start up repair options...comp started acting very strange possibly from something i was doing...but do you think i should just rma this drive? i just got it and it was an rma from my drive before...i dont know if this sector problem will just get worse?? thanks

You could pre-clear the disk and the Pending sector count should go to zero. I pre-clear all new disks regardless of where they'll be used. Do NOT pre-clear SSDs. There are less destructive ways to resolve the sector using either built in Windows commands or 3rd party utilities. I wouldn't RMA unless a pre-clear doesn't fix it.

• 1 month later...