Unraid Video file Corruption - help! (SMB/SAB/SB)

hi all

been using unraid for ages and just recently i have noticed alot of media/video file corruption

loss in sound, noise, pixelation/blocky picture on all my new and old video files (some files been on over a year now have the same issue)

this is when copying from PC to unraid share via smb network and also when using SAB/SB tv series,

ive ran a Parity-Check and no errors

date stamps on files are ok

new files play perfect on muy PC, but when i copy over to unraid they become corrupt

a reboot of the unraid server clears t up a little, for about 5mins, then it starts!

driving me mad, ive checked on 2 media players and PC and all 3 when playing from unraid shows corruption

any help much appreciated

thanks

unRAID Server Plus version: 5.0.5, using HP Microserver with 5 drives and cache (6 total)

syslog.txt

After you copy a movie to unRAID:

1. How are you viewing the movie? (Roku, Plex on a PC, etc.)

2. If you play the same movie twice in a row, do the errors you cite show up in the same place?

hi,

viewing the movie using PC, Mede8er Media player and Western Digital WDTV media player

Corruption in the same place 95% of the time, it sometimes moves to another part of the movie, comes and goes

ive just used teracopy to copy a video file from my PC to Unraid share, checked the verify option and CRC fails, ive done this using cache  disk option and without, both the same :(

full syslog attached now

thanks

syslog-2014-03-08.txt

First thing you need to determine is whether the file is corrupted during the copy; or if it's being corrupted during the streaming.

Copy a file that's not playing correctly back from UnRAID to your PC; and compare it to your backup copy to see if the file is the same as the original.

If not, you need to isolate why it's being corrupted.    Have you run a memory test on UnRAID recently?    Boot to MemTest and let it run for ~ 10 hours or so to confirm your memory's okay.  If this isn't a memory error, you'll need to do some network tests ... but first check the memory.

ok, copy file from PC to Unraid - CRC mismatch

copy that same file back from Unraid to PC CRC Correct

Copy an existing file from Unraid to PC - CRC Correct, copy back to Unraid CRC Mismatch!

seems it doesnt like anything copied "to" Unraid

from unraid to PC seems fine

I see this in your syslog

Mar  8 21:48:16 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Seems unlikely that this would cause what you're seeing but you should put your flash drive in your PC and run checkdisk.

thanks

7 hours so far, 3 passes and no errors on memtest, will wait till 10 hour mark to be sure

il also check the usb drive too!

just to point out i have SB and SAB also running on unraid and the files that downloads also corrupt, so its definitely something within unraid

ok, 10 hours no memtest errors

ran chkdisk on usb and all fine, ran hdtune error check and all fine

what is weird though ive just restarted unraid again after doing all these tests and seems to be fine now

no corruption on any video file that was there before

this has happened to me before about 6 weeks ago and the same happened then, it just fixed it self

really need to get to the bottom of this

I would suspect that the most likely culprit is something at the network level rather than core unRAID software.    Whether it could be hardware related or something like the security software at the client end I have no idea. 

Other possibilities are suspect hardware on the unRAID server but I thought you had already eliminated this as a likely source of the problem.

using a GB netgear switch which also has other devices on it which work fine

i will try move the unraid server to another room and use a different switch next time this happens, will also try make it local network too.

for info:

Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID.
root@Tower:~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        MDI-X: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x000000ff (255)
        Link detected: yes
root@Tower:~#

root@Tower:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 3c:4a:92:74:4b:44
          inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:51326476 errors:0 dropped:23 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:42018522 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:60299756658 (56.1 GiB)  TX bytes:55875160973 (52.0 GiB)
          Interrupt:18

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:2282 (2.2 KiB)  TX bytes:2282 (2.2 KiB)

Nice that it "fixed itself" ... but that doesn't resolve the underlying problem.  Double-check that all your cables are firmly seated and that there's no pressure on the connectors (i.e. not bent where they plug by being pushed too close to the wall or a cabinet).    You may even want to swap in some new cables just to confirm that's not the issue.

Be sure you use TeraCopy with the validate option for all future transfers to the array -- as long as everything tests okay, the issue is likely resolved.

I'd like to chime in. I just came to the forum looking for problems with this exact same issue.

For years things have been fine, and now suddenly I'm seeing a lot of corrupt video files when they are copied over to unraid. Files are fine before being copied.

Not much more info to report atm, but thought I'd just let it be known that you are not alone in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also seeing this same behavior.  The server was built with all new hardware and contains mostly 8-15GB video files. It worked flawlessly for a month or two then i started seeing pixelation.  It has worsened in the following 2 months to the point that the movies are getting unwatchable and the player occasionally crashes.  The files that used to play flawlessly now have corruption (don't have originals to crc compare).

The files play file when i initially have them on my workstation, but they develop corruption while on the file server.  I just copied a fresh 11gb file to the fileserver and observed they have a hash mismatch. 

I then copied the file to the fileserver again with TeraCopy and it still failed crc.  I copied the same file to another workstation via teracopy and it crc'd ok.  I think this narrows it down to being the fileserver.  l'm just not sure if it's hardware or software yet.  I'll attempt to do some hardware tests later tonight.  Are there any software checks i can do with UnRaid?

The server has has 3 identical 3gb wd nas disks. One is set up for parity. Drive temps under load are around 28C. G3220 haswell 3.0 GHzASRock H87M Pro4 motherboardLepa N500-SA 500W power.  OS is on a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB.  The UnRaid version is 5.0.0.

Well...if you have ever run chksk on your PC (or Disk Utility on your Mac), there *is* a similar tool for unRAID...more in a moment.

But, if you've NEVER run chksk on your PC (or Disk Utility on your Mac), then you should do that FIRST and then see if you still have the problem.

If you need to run the chkdsk-like tool on unRAID, its called 'Reiserfsck'. 

But here's my word of caution: You have a LOT of data on your array...you DON"T want to do anything without being SURE that you DO NO HARM.

If you need help, 'ask'. If you aren't sure, 'ask'. Post full syslogs showing what happened along the way.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

Interesting if been getting pixelation on videos played over the network from my unraid server to. Interestingly enough though it doesn't happen when videos are played through the Plex server on unraid to TV and tablets.  i.e. only seems to happen playing videos over the network.

Plex streaming is a mix of wired and wireless lan, while to computer is wired. 

Have another switch so might commission it and see if that fixes it...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Archived