Edit:Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Works! Was:Request for Onboard LANSupport:Asus P5KPL-G31

Just picked up this Motherboard and it comes with an Atheros Gigabit LAN adapter that unraid doesn't recognize.  Asus does provide the src for Linux kernel 2.6 here --> http://support.asus.com.  I used parts from my existing development machine so I don't have access to a Slackware machine to build the driver.  Can anyone help?

From doing the requisite search on these forums, it looks like I need to run:

modprobe <driver>

ifconfig eth0 up

and add these two lines to my 'go' script.  Just need help so I can move driver files to the USB stick.

Thanks in advance for the help!

From the driver readme file:

In This Release

===============

This file describes the Linux* Base Driver for the Atheros® AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E

Ethernet Adapter, version 1.0.0.0 This driver supports the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.

This driver is only supported as a loadable module at this time. Atheros is not

supplying patches against the kernel source to allow for static linking of

the driver. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the

documentation supplied with your Atheros® adapter. All hardware

requirements listed apply to use with Linux.

You know, I think you have inspired a great model for tech support.  The Support page would basically say:

Need tech support?  Don't bother us.  Just swap out all your hardware, until it works!  Problem solved.

Thanks for a good laugh anyway, you were very easy to help!

Just trying to give back to this very helpful forum.  Sometimes you get tech help, sometimes entertainment  :)

I now have this MB running for a week.  Feel free to add to the compatibility list as one of the lowest priced compatible motherboards there.  Not sure there are cheaper current MBs, this one retails at $55.  The only thing I haven't tested are the IDE controllers, I should be able to test that today.  The 4 onboard SATA ports are working great.  If interested, I'll post more info on how my IDE test turns out.

I just posted a question on the software side of this forum about Vista Backup still not working with UnRAID 4.4.2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Everything checked out on this board.  Gigabit Ethernet, simple BIOS menus, power down, SATA, IDE, and boots fast.  Highly recommended as a low cost MB for UnRAID.

Not sure how many drives you have in the machine but if you could please look at this section of the Hardware wiki and run follow the directions for testing the "level" of the motherboard that would be great!!

Also take a look at these posts on how to post about the board after you have tested it.

I will add the board here directly but i think we need a thread on the board itself instead of this thread that has been edited.  That way there is no confusion about which board.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up this Motherboard and it comes with an Atheros Gigabit LAN adapter that unraid doesn't recognize.  Asus does provide the src for Linux kernel 2.6 here --> http://support.asus.com.  I used parts from my existing development machine so I don't have access to a Slackware machine to build the driver.  Can anyone help?

From doing the requisite search on these forums, it looks like I need to run:

modprobe <driver>

ifconfig eth0 up

and add these two lines to my 'go' script.  Just need help so I can move driver files to the USB stick.

Thanks in advance for the help!

From the driver readme file:

In This Release

===============

This file describes the Linux* Base Driver for the Atheros® AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E

Ethernet Adapter, version 1.0.0.0 This driver supports the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.

This driver is only supported as a loadable module at this time. Atheros is not

supplying patches against the kernel source to allow for static linking of

the driver. For questions related to hardware requirements, refer to the

documentation supplied with your Atheros® adapter. All hardware

requirements listed apply to use with Linux.

Tom, Any word on including this module? Is it included in the 4.5betas? Can it be added if not?

Cheers,

Matt