Any experience with Icy Dock Trayless 3-in-2 MB673SPF-B?

praeses

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this 3-in-2 (MB673SPF-B) ?  It has most things that I'm looking for:

• Trayless
  • Standard 80x80x25mm fan (So I can swap it for something better)
  • 1 sata connector per drive (no sata multiplier)
  • Molex connectors (I hate sata power connectors)
  • Higher density of a 3-in-2 (hoping to stack a bunch of them together in a case)

Having the fan at the back would be a bit weird with dust filters should I go that route, I guess the drives would still get dusty.

I realize its reasonably new so reviews would be sparse.  The only thing I have come across to date are the comments on the egg.  I am not familiar with icy dock although some of the comments on here look positive.

The first lime server came with icydock ide trays...

With that I have the kingwin 4 in 3 trayless and I like them.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990004

They don't meet your requirements but the trayless principle is the same.  No more dealing with screws or extra trays and they are so easy to use.

Why do you want to swap the fan?  I would think the stock fan would be fine and looking at the picture it might be difficult to remove.

The first lime server came with icydock ide trays...

With that I have the kingwin 4 in 3 trayless and I like them.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990004

They don't meet your requirements but the trayless principle is the same.  No more dealing with screws or extra trays and they are so easy to use.

Why do you want to swap the fan?  I would think the stock fan would be fine and looking at the picture it might be difficult to remove.

I have one of those Kingwin 4-in-3's, and it seems to work fine, no real problems other than I don't particularly care for the power connections on the back.  They also have a 3-in-2 but it doesn't look like it fits his wantlist perfectly...  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990003

Well I hate the sound of ball bearing fans, and 80mm fans seems to be more reliable.  My servers are located basically in my living room with no closet to hide them.  Usually I swap fans every year or two with something reasonably silent, currently using nexus 120 & 80mm (haven't had the best of luck with their 92mm counterparts) fans at 5V throughout a couple of my computers.  One is a mix of fans but its usually off.  I tested the kingwin units in a local shop and I wasn't too impressed with the tone of the fans, although they wouldn't let me try them at 5V without purchasing.  I doubt they would move enough air at that anyways.

I know this is odd as half the time at work I'm in a server closet but I like silence at home.